Star treks vs gods

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Star treks vs gods

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I would love to put Discovery crew in a situation with a deity, but I'd want it to be nuanced like a figurehead for a network of habited solar systems or something. By that scale you can have a lot of political and even interplanetary nationalism stuff going on.
Power laces... alright.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Only the naive would believe that a DIS God plot would be anything other than ''Michael Defeats God.'' Which amuses me as it seems modern Trek has learned little from Star Trek V.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

clearspira wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:05 am Only the naive would believe that a DIS God plot would be anything other than ''Michael Defeats God.''
Don't forget the three episodes of moping around first as the build up.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:56 am I would love to put Discovery crew in a situation with a deity, but I'd want it to be nuanced like a figurehead for a network of habited solar systems or something. By that scale you can have a lot of political and even interplanetary nationalism stuff going on.
Heck, what if we had it be like a Klingon god or a god from another species I mean it should make no different to a star fleet crew.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:24 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:56 am I would love to put Discovery crew in a situation with a deity, but I'd want it to be nuanced like a figurehead for a network of habited solar systems or something. By that scale you can have a lot of political and even interplanetary nationalism stuff going on.
Heck, what if we had it be like a Klingon god or a god from another species I mean it should make no different to a star fleet crew.
Then it might be a bit alien and hard to really be subversive to one's own proclivities surrounding the topic. Klingons are inherently adversarial and rather inscrutably foreign, at least during that time.

That would probably make for a good 2+ hour movie though.
Power laces... alright.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Just food for thought
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Mentioning Klingon gods had me rewatch Chuck's review of Devil's Due.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I mean maybe some got away.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

King Green wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:23 am There is a butchered saying: Men who speaks of this, that will come fourth.
We humans have an irresistible habit of creating stories and folklore, that its practically legit magic when we choose to believe that story to be true. Stories on gods and heroes are a result of people infusing accurate outcomes that help our species sane, or what could be define as "sane"?
Thinking and belief are opposite twins critical to create/destroy things.
That gets into what you mean by true. As in, if you're using the modern, literal meaning, not the older symbolic one where a work of fiction can express more truth and meaning that many real life occurrences that you face (like brushing your teeth in the morning).

It's for that reason why I love the first Alien movie. It is a modern retelling of the ancient story of the dangers of the unknown, how chaos lurks in it, and what happens in your world when chaos embodies itself and comes looking for you. It's no coincidence that the Xenomorph is a very exotic looking dragon, nor that the preceding life stages of it are two of Mankind's biggest phobias, spiders then snakes.

The symbolism in the movie models itself perfectly on "real" encounters with the unknown and chaos, like marrying someone seeing the small hints of disaster develop from the very beginning of dating until they explode and bring the union to ruin.

Chaos always starts small and loves to eventually burst forth. It doesn't have to be out of someone's chest.
That's a literal view of the Klingon gods. One could take the stance that the Klingon mentality is a transcendent one: They killed their gods because they seek the Klingon species to be supreme in the world with nothing above their Empire. Such a mentality fits perfectly with what we see in them, though it ignores the fact that that would make the Klingon species into a god unto its own (Seaxneat was one such for the Saxons).
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

Well if they encounter a klingon god they'd be safe to assume it was an imposter. Everyone knows the klingons killed their gods long ago.
Last edited by drewder on Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.