TOS-The Squire of Gothos

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: TOS-The Squire of Gothos

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I think it's just a matter of what Q wants. From what we see of Q we don't know what he personally wants. As an objective stance it's fair to say simply that he's looking for a response.

The borg, Sisko on a path to prophecy, Guinan, etc don't give him any response that he's willing to come back for. He also doesn't seem to do it for matters of attaining power whereas Treelane specifically wants keepsakes.
..What mirror universe?
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:46 am As far as The Sisko Punch to Q.

Interesting in hindsight. Perhaps Q wasn't aware of Sisko until he got punched. Then he felt 'something extra' from it which caught him off gaurd. That's if you want to dig a little instead of Q just not interested in someone he can provoke too easily.
This is one of those areas that should be left untouched.

Mixing the Q and the Prophets would be oil and water. They are approaching the concept of divinity from completely different perspectives.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Beastro wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:26 am
McAvoy wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:46 am As far as The Sisko Punch to Q.

Interesting in hindsight. Perhaps Q wasn't aware of Sisko until he got punched. Then he felt 'something extra' from it which caught him off gaurd. That's if you want to dig a little instead of Q just not interested in someone he can provoke too easily.
This is one of those areas that should be left untouched.

Mixing the Q and the Prophets would be oil and water. They are approaching the concept of divinity from completely different perspectives.
I definitely agree. It's a one off episode. No need to really dig into it too much.

Just interesting knowing in hindsight that Sisko is part Prophet.

I don't even think it was ever touched on with Bajor if they ever knew about Sisko being part Prophet.
I got nothing to say here.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Beastro wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:26 am This is one of those areas that should be left untouched.

Honestly, exploring either of them is going to be a bad idea 9/10 times. Use sparingly and with little detail retains the mystery and flexibility. Everything done up to that point usually falls apart if you ignore that strategy.

I'm really hoping Picard S2 doesn't do more with Q than use him as a plot device to get the season rolling (IMO, it would be even better if they hadn't at all, but that ship has already left the spacedock).
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I suspect Q will be used like a season long theme. Teaching Picard a lesson or something.

I don't want a greater exploration of Q himself or The Q itself. Sure as hell don't want this to turn into a Q wanting Picard to be Q sort of thing either.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

McAvoy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:26 am Sure as hell don't want this to turn into a Q wanting Picard to be Q sort of thing either.
That's exactly how I think the show will end. They won't kill off old man Picard. They already made him a pseudo android, why not God?
And hey, Q already extended the offer to Riker despite clearly having a bigger crush on Picard.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:54 am
McAvoy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:26 am Sure as hell don't want this to turn into a Q wanting Picard to be Q sort of thing either.
That's exactly how I think the show will end. They won't kill off old man Picard. They already made him a pseudo android, why not God?
And hey, Q already extended the offer to Riker despite clearly having a bigger crush on Picard.
If that happens I don't think Picard will take the offer.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

McAvoy wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:15 am
clearspira wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:54 am
If that happens I don't think Picard will take the offer.
He might not have a choice. When it comes time to ride the giant koala, then you gotta go whether you want to or not.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I think Q will try to convince him.

That's assuming Q is doing that and not just checking in on Picard while at the same time warning him of something brewing.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

McAvoy wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:17 am I think Q will try to convince him.

That's assuming Q is doing that and not just checking in on Picard while at the same time warning him of something brewing.
Indeed. Given he only appears in that one scene in the teaser, it's possible it's a small cameo role to get things rolling.