(DS9) Sons and Daughters

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
sayla0079
Captain

Re: (DS9) Sons and Daughters

Post by sayla0079 »

FaxModem1 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:19 pm
MerelyAFan wrote:This episode always fell short for me in that long term in doesn't mean much for Worf or Alexander given the latter never shows up again after 6x07, and it feeling like its just something for Worf to do in the DS9 occupation arc. Every time I watch Sons and Daughters I find myself wishing the secondary plot was involving the likes of maybe Sisko and Rom forming unlikely connections to Nog and Jake respectively as all four struggle with the possibility of not seeing their loved ones again. Not terribly dramatic, but would have made for a fun character piece at least.
If Alexander became more of a recurring character, the show would probably have benefited from it. Like Torres, we have a perspective that is critical of Klingon culture, while still being a part of it. This is something the franchise needed, as more often than not, they showed Klingon culture as something all Klingons are meant to follow. Seeing someone who says, "Okay, screw it, this is NOT for me." would have been refreshing. Also seeing more of Worf called out for the way he treated Alexander would have been interesting.
If Alexander had stayed around season 7 would have been interesting if they tried to have him talk to a couneslor
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

sayla0079 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:10 pm
FaxModem1 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:19 pm
MerelyAFan wrote:This episode always fell short for me in that long term in doesn't mean much for Worf or Alexander given the latter never shows up again after 6x07, and it feeling like its just something for Worf to do in the DS9 occupation arc. Every time I watch Sons and Daughters I find myself wishing the secondary plot was involving the likes of maybe Sisko and Rom forming unlikely connections to Nog and Jake respectively as all four struggle with the possibility of not seeing their loved ones again. Not terribly dramatic, but would have made for a fun character piece at least.
If Alexander became more of a recurring character, the show would probably have benefited from it. Like Torres, we have a perspective that is critical of Klingon culture, while still being a part of it. This is something the franchise needed, as more often than not, they showed Klingon culture as something all Klingons are meant to follow. Seeing someone who says, "Okay, screw it, this is NOT for me." would have been refreshing. Also seeing more of Worf called out for the way he treated Alexander would have been interesting.
If Alexander had stayed around season 7 would have been interesting if they tried to have him talk to a couneslor
If they got to that, and didn't have a weird writer's room idea that maybe there should be a love triangle between Ezri, Alexander, and Worf. I wouldn't be surprised if they thought something like that would be great to explore.
Strejdaking
Redshirt

Post by Strejdaking »

Man, this episode. I suppose it's not exactly OCC for Worf to ignore Alexander like that-I even get why he would do it, not wanting to force his ideals on him-but it is worse than anything I recall him doing on TNG. Yes, I know he isn't really ashamed of him, but he's still an idiot for thinking talking to him once in 5 years would be too much. I suppose it's so that Alexander would be more sympathetic, but it feels pointlessly cynical and mean-spirited to override Firstborn's happy ending (hell, arguably Worf's entire development as a father on TNG), especially just to resolve it in a single episode.