VOY: Infinite Regress

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: VOY: Infinite Regress

Post by Madner Kami »

Has it occured to either of you, that "Android's" attire actually is a subtext and a "show, don't tell", commenting on the status of Androids within the show's world?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:02 am Has it occured to either of you, that "Android's" attire actually is a subtext and a "show, don't tell", commenting on the status of Androids within the show's world?
Thank you for beating me to it.

Context is everything. And the reason why context is everything is because sex and sexuality is not on its own automatically bad. If you have something to say by it then that is fine. Game of Thrones for example. A lot of the nudity was just fanservice yes... but a lot of it as well said something about this world. Women are second class citizens there for sex or servitude unless you are lucky enough to be part of a House, and even then, rape is a pretty constant companion of most of the named female leads. If you are a woman then you are NOT safe on your own. Our introduction to Daenerys is her being sold off in an arranged marriage to a life of exactly this.

And the context in Star Trek is... there is no context. There is no reason for the catsuit, no reason for the stuffed bras. And hypocritical - no earring for the Bajoran crewmembers, but boobs out for Troi? Yeah, OK.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:22 am
Madner Kami wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:02 am Has it occured to either of you, that "Android's" attire actually is a subtext and a "show, don't tell", commenting on the status of Androids within the show's world?
Thank you for beating me to it.

Context is everything. And the reason why context is everything is because sex and sexuality is not on its own automatically bad. If you have something to say by it then that is fine. Game of Thrones for example. A lot of the nudity was just fanservice yes... but a lot of it as well said something about this world. Women are second class citizens there for sex or servitude unless you are lucky enough to be part of a House, and even then, rape is a pretty constant companion of most of the named female leads. If you are a woman then you are NOT safe on your own. Our introduction to Daenerys is her being sold off in an arranged marriage to a life of exactly this.

And the context in Star Trek is... there is no context. There is no reason for the catsuit, no reason for the stuffed bras. And hypocritical - no earring for the Bajoran crewmembers, but boobs out for Troi? Yeah, OK.
I think there is a specific term for this instead of context. But basically your story should follow the in universe storyline logic you established.
I got nothing to say here.