Voyager: The 37s

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
TorroesPrime
Redshirt

Re: Voyager: The 37s

Post by TorroesPrime »

Meushell wrote:
Dînadan wrote:
Meushell wrote:
drewder wrote:One thing not mentioned in the video but which has always bugged me about this episode is why did the aliens take Earhart and the others, put them in suspended animation, and then leave them that way on the new planet? Cryogenically suspended humans make for lousy slaves.
I always assumed that the aliens were driven away before they woke up their last batch of humans. I have not seen the episode since it aired though, so I don't know if that works with the show.
37 is an oddly small batch to leave around though. Unless maybe the aliens had cloning tech and the originals were left in stasis so they'd always have a 'pure' source to harvest from rather than the degrading DNA of cloning the clones of the clones of the clones of... (as we all know in sf, clones always degrade with each generation).
That would make a lot of sense. That would also mean the group is dealing with some descendants of their clones. That would be weird.

It's still a pretty small group though. I don't think the writers thought that one through.

pure head cannon here:

I've always guessed that the aliens were capturing groups of humans from earth for years and using them for breeding stock... well genetic stock. But the revolt happened around the time they would have used the people they grabbed from 1937 and they were driven away leaving the people in stasis, and the people from pre-1937 to assume they were dead.

Like I said, pure head canon but it's Voyager. what are you gonna do? I mean they introduced a species that 500 years ago had the capacity to travel from earth to the far side of the Delta quadrant at speeds to make the trip reasonable and say they were capturing humans to use as slaves... Why? I mean why Humans? Why from earth? Why from a different Quadrant? Why from the opposite side of the galaxy? I mean.... it just raises so many questions and the episode never even mentions them let alone addresses them. Frankly, 'forgetting' a half dozen people in stasis if out right mundane at that point.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

You're talking about an episode that had the characters go on about how beautiful the cities were on that planet, but never bothered showing them, not to mention - they missed the fact there were cities on that planet? Also, this is a show that featured an off-screen juggler. ;)
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

TorroesPrime wrote:Like I said, pure head canon but it's Voyager. what are you gonna do? I mean they introduced a species that 500 years ago had the capacity to travel from earth to the far side of the Delta quadrant at speeds to make the trip reasonable and say they were capturing humans to use as slaves... Why? I mean why Humans? Why from earth? Why from a different Quadrant? Why from the opposite side of the galaxy? I mean.... it just raises so many questions and the episode never even mentions them let alone addresses them. Frankly, 'forgetting' a half dozen people in stasis if out right mundane at that point.
And just now I realize, how utterly retarded it was, to leave that planet behind after what must have been just a few days. That species might have been gone since 500 years and there may not be a whole lot left of their technology, but they travelled to Earth. From the Delta Quadrant. They travelled to Earth and back, from pretty much what is Voyager's starting point to their long journey home. Instead of asking the crew about who of them wants to stay, how about fucking trying to figure out how those aliens travelled that distance in the first place?! Just spend a few weeks scanning the planet for maybe a wreck of a starship or some sort of wierd energy reading in nearby space for a potential wormhole? Or have a looksee if there are any outposts or starbases floating around still, regardless onif they are still active or long lost relics. No? Right, Janeway is the hidden Spiderqueen and doesn't want them to get home... Or the writers are fucking hacks and don't dare to make a story arc spanning a few episodes.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

If they had stayed any longer, we might have accidentally seen a building.
TorroesPrime
Redshirt

Post by TorroesPrime »

Madner Kami wrote:
TorroesPrime wrote:Like I said, pure head canon but it's Voyager. what are you gonna do? I mean they introduced a species that 500 years ago had the capacity to travel from earth to the far side of the Delta quadrant at speeds to make the trip reasonable and say they were capturing humans to use as slaves... Why? I mean why Humans? Why from earth? Why from a different Quadrant? Why from the opposite side of the galaxy? I mean.... it just raises so many questions and the episode never even mentions them let alone addresses them. Frankly, 'forgetting' a half dozen people in stasis if out right mundane at that point.
And just now I realize, how utterly retarded it was, to leave that planet behind after what must have been just a few days. That species might have been gone since 500 years and there may not be a whole lot left of their technology, but they travelled to Earth. From the Delta Quadrant. They travelled to Earth and back, from pretty much what is Voyager's starting point to their long journey home. Instead of asking the crew about who of them wants to stay, how about fucking trying to figure out how those aliens travelled that distance in the first place?! Just spend a few weeks scanning the planet for maybe a wreck of a starship or some sort of wierd energy reading in nearby space for a potential wormhole? Or have a looksee if there are any outposts or starbases floating around still, regardless onif they are still active or long lost relics. No? Right, Janeway is the hidden Spiderqueen and doesn't want them to get home... Or the writers are fucking hacks and don't dare to make a story arc spanning a few episodes.
I'm going to go with a modified version of the latter being that the Writers were given requirements from marketing to adhere to so they basically had to write in certain bits and segments for "advertising value" but not given much in terms of lee-way to actually deal with the repercussions of those bits and segments.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Do we know that the aliens who kidnapped the humans had a drive that would get the humans to this world within a human lifetime? We know the aliens could put humans in suspended animation of some sort. They certainly had an FTL drive to get from Earth to The World With Beautiful Cities We Never Get to See within a few centuries, but if they moved half of Voyager's speed that would have taken 140 only years, still giving the humans a few centuries to revolt and build the cities.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Sure, but why go through all the trouble of nabbing aliens from across the galaxy when there were others in their own quadrant?
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Darth Wedgius wrote:Do we know that the aliens who kidnapped the humans had a drive that would get the humans to this world within a human lifetime? We know the aliens could put humans in suspended animation of some sort. They certainly had an FTL drive to get from Earth to The World With Beautiful Cities We Never Get to See within a few centuries, but if they moved half of Voyager's speed that would have taken 140 only years, still giving the humans a few centuries to revolt and build the cities.
Now you begin argueing like a Voyager-writer. You make it worse by trying to keep the already fundamentally broken base premise going. You now have to find a reason that allows for someone not just to travel 70,000 lightyears to get a "good" he could get aplenty literally next door (and in large variety at that), but you now have to find a reason for that person to travel 70,000 lightyears for something he could get next door and be away from his home for, according to your offhand calculation, 280 years (because remember, you have to travel both ways).

And this ignores that this species then somehow kept an unmanned ship going for 240 years without refueling or maintenance, which would be interesting to explore for the, at this point in the storyline, resource-starved Voyager in it's own right.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Madner Kami wrote:
Darth Wedgius wrote:Do we know that the aliens who kidnapped the humans had a drive that would get the humans to this world within a human lifetime? We know the aliens could put humans in suspended animation of some sort. They certainly had an FTL drive to get from Earth to The World With Beautiful Cities We Never Get to See within a few centuries, but if they moved half of Voyager's speed that would have taken 140 only years, still giving the humans a few centuries to revolt and build the cities.
Now you begin argueing like a Voyager-writer. You make it worse by trying to keep the already fundamentally broken base premise going. You now have to find a reason that allows for someone not just to travel 70,000 lightyears to get a "good" he could get aplenty literally next door (and in large variety at that), but you now have to find a reason for that person to travel 70,000 lightyears for something he could get next door and be away from his home for, according to your offhand calculation, 280 years (because remember, you have to travel both ways).

And this ignores that this species then somehow kept an unmanned ship going for 240 years without refueling or maintenance, which would be interesting to explore for the, at this point in the storyline, resource-starved Voyager in it's own right.
I'm not justifying their taking captives from tens of thousands of lightyears away. Not am I saying that the ship had to be unmanned, or that they came from that area of the galaxy in the first place, or that the ship had to be unmanned, unmaintained, or not refueled. I'm pointing out that the idea that the aliens had a very fast drive is an assumption. Kind of like all these other assumptions on your part.