Moontrap Review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Re: Moontrap Review

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Oh, that's an interesting thought.

Yeah, I actually would love to write a remake for this movie. Although a lot would have to be rethought, plot-wise. Another thing- the "spare Saturn rocket sitting around" plot point would be an even harder sell now than in the '80s. Maybe set it a few years in the future and make it "experimental/prototype Mars rocket" instead?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Eh, start it "en media res" with a new moon race to check out the edifice on the moon.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Oh, that's an interesting thought.

Yeah, I actually would love to write a remake for this movie. Although a lot would have to be rethought, plot-wise. Another thing- the "spare Saturn rocket sitting around" plot point would be an even harder sell now than in the '80s. Maybe set it a few years in the future and make it "experimental/prototype Mars rocket" instead?
Honestly, given that in this setting we already have the space-going equivalent of U-Haul trucks, I don't understand why we didn't just adapt one of those to the purpose.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The more I read this, the more I want to try to write a script of a Moontrap reboot. :D

It would be a fun exercise, trying to make it work as a serious SF film.
griffeytrek
Officer

Post by griffeytrek »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Oh, that's an interesting thought.

Actually that becomes a lot easier today. Instead of making it a "Spare Saturn V" make it an untested prototype SLS (Space Launch System). Those are close enough to actual testing that by the time any movie was made they would be workable. They were just doing engine tests last week.

Just have them retrofit an old Apollo capsule or slap a not yet ready Orion one on top. I think they still have 3 or 4 LEM's. If the ascent engine has never been fueled they should still be relatively pristine and usable, even after decades on display. At least believably enough for a movie.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Well, how about making it a Chinese mission? They've already landed one rover, with another one scheduled for next year, and have stated that they plan to land a maned mission by 2036.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

J!! wrote:Well, how about making it a Chinese mission? They've already landed one rover, with another one scheduled for next year, and have stated that they plan to land a maned mission by 2036.
17 years ago, the Chinese announced plans to, among other things, put a man on the moon by 2010. I believe the closest they got to it was putting up a two space stations (This reminds me of the South Korean robot city Chuck mentioned one time). They've given themselves about twice as much time now, but between completing their space station (2022?) and the likely need to build a heavy lift rocket first, a Taikonaut on the moon by 2036 stradles plausible and unlikely, though it definitely beats Musk's Martian Madness (Mars colony by 2024? Get real.)
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu