ENT: Chosen Realm

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: ENT: Chosen Realm

Post by McAvoy »

Mindworm wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:43 am
McAvoy wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:44 am I think it was obvious at the time the inspiration was directly or indirectly the Islamic Jihadists. Or in my case: insurgents when I was in the military at the time.

However offhand, I cannot seem to think of what other religions would have done differently in an extremist sect if given 'full permission' to do what they want or need in name of their religion.

Would have Christians or Jews commit the same acts like the Muslims when fighting a much superior foe in their own home with a religion and society far different than their own.

There is the whole Catholic versus Protestant thing but that is basically ancient history at this point.
If you look at what's continuing to go on in the six counties, you wouldn't say the last sentence. There is a reason why the DUP, the political wing of no less than three anti-catholic terrorist groups is the largest party within unionism by a country mile.
I am assuming you are talking about outside the US? Ireland maybe?
I got nothing to say here.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:12 pm
Mindworm wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:43 am
McAvoy wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:44 am I think it was obvious at the time the inspiration was directly or indirectly the Islamic Jihadists. Or in my case: insurgents when I was in the military at the time.

However offhand, I cannot seem to think of what other religions would have done differently in an extremist sect if given 'full permission' to do what they want or need in name of their religion.

Would have Christians or Jews commit the same acts like the Muslims when fighting a much superior foe in their own home with a religion and society far different than their own.

There is the whole Catholic versus Protestant thing but that is basically ancient history at this point.
If you look at what's continuing to go on in the six counties, you wouldn't say the last sentence. There is a reason why the DUP, the political wing of no less than three anti-catholic terrorist groups is the largest party within unionism by a country mile.
I am assuming you are talking about outside the US? Ireland maybe?
Where else is more famous for Catholics vs Protestants than Ireland? And BTW, can confirm. Nothing has changed. In fact, with Sinn Fein now gaining majority control it'll heat up again you mark my words. You know what the problem is? Millenials, Gen Z and Alpha. And I say that as a Millenial. I can barely remember the Troubles. And if I can barely remember the Troubles, that means that Z and Alpha have no memory of them at all. The Troubles have as much relevance to them as WW2 does to me. All of the hardships, the lessons, the struggles - all are being gradually forgotten.

Lets hope the US doesn't fund it again huh? Something that Biden conveniently forgot on his visit to Ireland a few months ago as he accused the UK of stoking tensions. Amazing how quickly 9/11 demonstrated that there is nothing romantic about terrorism. You only need to watch a film like The Jackal to demonstrate the love affair America had with the likes of the IRA.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

The United States didn't fund the IRA.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:13 pm The United States didn't fund the IRA.
No, the Irish Widows and Orphans fund did.

Specifically, given millions of Americans of direct Irish descent were willing to open their pockets for the independence movement since many of them came from refugee families.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:13 pm The United States didn't fund the IRA.
Its very likely the CIA did though. And this is an actual paper, not some conspiracy rag.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/c ... s%20reveal.

''It followed the November 1982 trial of five self-confessed IRA gun smugglers - including Michael Flannery, the 80-year-old founder of Noraid - found not guilty of transporting an arsenal of weapons and ammunition into Northern Ireland.

The five claimed they bought the arms from an arms dealer who was an undercover CIA agent.

The CIA, with a licence to export weapons, had aided their operation in order to monitor the flow of arms to Ireland and prevent the IRA from turning to the Soviet Union for arms, the defence claimed.

It was a defence the jury found credible - with a female juror telling press they "firmly believed" the operation could not have continued without government sanction.''
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Either way, American sympathy and funding for the IRA was a major reason they continued to exist.

And sympathizers did exist in levels of the US government.