Demolition Man

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
stryke
Captain

Re: Demolition Man

Post by stryke »

Deledrius wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 9:36 amFunny, I recognize him (well, his voice) from The Black Cauldron!
Huh, didn't know he was in that one either. Then I completely missed Black Cauldron. It's one of those weird blanks in my childhood where there wasn't any reason why I wouldn't have seen it I think, surely it would have been on telly and the like, but it never happened. Seen plenty of the Disney efforts from before, even the relatively more obscure ones like Aristocats, Rescuers Down Under, and Fox and the Hound, seen most of the ones after from the rennaissance starting with Beauty and the Beast but Black Cauldron and also that King Arthur one I just missed out on.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

stryke wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:51 am
Deledrius wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 9:36 amFunny, I recognize him (well, his voice) from The Black Cauldron!
Huh, didn't know he was in that one either. Then I completely missed Black Cauldron. It's one of those weird blanks in my childhood where there wasn't any reason why I wouldn't have seen it I think, surely it would have been on telly and the like, but it never happened. Seen plenty of the Disney efforts from before, even the relatively more obscure ones like Aristocats, Rescuers Down Under, and Fox and the Hound, seen most of the ones after from the rennaissance starting with Beauty and the Beast but Black Cauldron and also that King Arthur one I just missed out on.
After it flopped, they buried it. I knew it existed because we had the theatrical trailer on video tape (it was on the first run home video release of Pinocchio) and we had the Sierra Online PC game, but it you tried to bring it up or talk to people about it they usually knew nothing of it. To my knowledge, it was never aired on TV or their cable channel. Disney tried to completely forget it and made sure to never mention it anywhere for thirteen years, when it finally came out on home video in 1998. I missed seeing it in theatres so it was truly an experience going out to the store, getting myself a copy, and coming home to watch it after so long.

It's rough in places (Katzenberg did it no favors), but I do have a soft spot for it. There are some genuinely good moments and some gorgeous background art and animation in it, even if it's a rushed, choppy adaptation of two books crammed into a single film. If you have access to Disney+, I say it's worth checking out. It's certainly not their best work, but it's far from the worst animated feature Disney has made. Sadly, circumstances conspired against it.

If there is a movie deserving of a re-imagined Live Action remake, it's this. I really wish Disney would consider a new adaptation of the Prydain Chronicles book series.
Scififan
Officer

Post by Scififan »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:57 pm Wouldn't it be dark if John did meet his daughter, only to learn she is on her death bed?
Kind of like in Aliens where Ripley finds out her daughter died of old age while she was in cryo sleep.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Yeah. Probably better than if that woman who flash him was her.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Scififan wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 4:13 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:57 pm Wouldn't it be dark if John did meet his daughter, only to learn she is on her death bed?
Kind of like in Aliens where Ripley finds out her daughter died of cancer while she was in cryo sleep.
FYP ;)
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox