B5: Confessions and Lamentations

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
FakeGeekGirl
Officer

Re: B5: Confessions and Lamentations

Post by FakeGeekGirl »

Trinary wrote:This is another episode that I don't think could've been done on Star Trek. They would've technobabbled up a solution to the cure just in the nick of time, and not have such a downer ending.
I don't know, the Quickening was really damn depressing.

But it does end on a much more hopeful note than this, with Bashir figuring out that one of his failed cures was a vaccine so that they can administer it to pregnant women so their babies are born without the disease. Everyone else is going to die of this horrible illness though - it is more hopeful because the species as a whole has a future but there is still a lot of death to come, and virtually of the Teplan characters we met and liked died onscreen.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

One thing that struck me as rather implausible about this disease is that the Markab recognized it well enough to be able to know that it was the taboo disease Drafa. I mean, the symptoms are so non-descript, but we are led to believe that the family of the first victim recognized the disease right away, based on nothing but its similarity to (presumably) old accounts that some Markab explorers found on the island of Drafa (I'm assuming the Markab did not have video recording at the time, if they were not techologically advanced enough to be able to visit an island for more than a year due to weather).
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

That the Shadows might be involved is something that I think is a fan theory, but it was never breached in the show - we only got the bartender speculating about the Vorlons. I think speculation about the Shadows comes from the fact that it was the Markab ambassador who seemed to know a lot about the Shadows in "The Long Dark."

Another common fan speculation - the disease started almost a year ago - whether he means an earth year or a Markab year (which the Babylon Project states is .75 Earth years) is unknown, but that would be sometime around "A Voice in the Wilderness" to "Points of Departure." If we assume that the first person to get the disease had an unusually long incubation period, it is not inconceivable that the new Drafa was created by Deathwalker and a Markab was exposed to it during her time on the station.
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

G-Man wrote:One thing that struck me as rather implausible about this disease is that the Markab recognized it well enough to be able to know that it was the taboo disease Drafa. I mean, the symptoms are so non-descript, but we are led to believe that the family of the first victim recognized the disease right away, based on nothing but its similarity to (presumably) old accounts that some Markab explorers found on the island of Drafa (I'm assuming the Markab did not have video recording at the time, if they were not techologically advanced enough to be able to visit an island for more than a year due to weather).
I just assumed there had been other outbreaks since Drafa, none of them as widespread as this (Presumably coz the Markab all shunned the diseased and those around them as impure) so the infrequent outbreak sort of kept the disease's symptoms common.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Ghilz wrote:but the fact that basically their entire people are willfully walking into oblivion out of pride sort of numbs me to the tragedy.
And then you look at things like the American health system, everything they do to restrict women's bodies (with no input from women) lack of gun control laws, and stance on global warming...

We're completely willingly screwing people over and killing them, albeit slower and more painfully, when these are all things that could be fixed if not overnight, then within short order. But nope, staying intentionally ignorant, wanting to keep power, wanting to control those they see as less important.... it's not limited to sci-fi aliens.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

FakeGeekGirl wrote:
Trinary wrote:This is another episode that I don't think could've been done on Star Trek. They would've technobabbled up a solution to the cure just in the nick of time, and not have such a downer ending.
I don't know, the Quickening was really damn depressing.

But it does end on a much more hopeful note than this, with Bashir figuring out that one of his failed cures was a vaccine so that they can administer it to pregnant women so their babies are born without the disease. Everyone else is going to die of this horrible illness though - it is more hopeful because the species as a whole has a future but there is still a lot of death to come, and virtually of the Teplan characters we met and liked died onscreen.
Yeah, but still there was that hope for the future. Trek rarely let its heroes get utterly defeated like they do here.
ScreamingDoom
Officer

Post by ScreamingDoom »

RobbyB1982 wrote:
Ghilz wrote:but the fact that basically their entire people are willfully walking into oblivion out of pride sort of numbs me to the tragedy.
And then you look at things like the American health system, everything they do to restrict women's bodies (with no input from women) lack of gun control laws, and stance on global warming...
The difference is that these things you site are not as cut-and-dried as a disease's host choice.

A study was done in the 1990s to find the average wait time for surgeries that were elective, but life-threatening (things like bypass surgeries, cancer removal and the like) through English-speaking countries. Only the United States had a sub-double-digit waiting time; Australia had the second best if I recall correctly at 13 months. While socialized medicine may be cheaper for individuals, the actual quality and speed of medical care may not be as good or better and evidence suggests it is significantly worse in most cases. It's not a simple matter of "government pays for everything == everything is better!"

I don't know what you're referring to as far as "restricting women's bodies". Is this an abortion thing? Because abortion is and has been legal in the United States for a long time.

The US Government stance on global warming has been pretty clearly in the "support" side for decades. It's only recently that convention has been challenged. This is a good thing, as it's revealing a lot of the problems in the methodologies and studies (one of my favourites is using evidence from ground sensors in urbanized areas to discount evidence from plant studies and satellite data). Surely you can't be against that, yes? Surely being accurate is more important than being ideologically pure, yes? This is exact thing the episode is talking about, in fact.

Gun control laws don't actually fix the problem. First of, there is very little correlation between availability of guns and violence. Secondly, gun control laws have not proven to actually restrict the use of firearms in criminal acts -- criminals, unsurprisingly, are perfectly capable of breaking gun laws to get their hands on firearms if they want them. This also means that the common claim that "an armed society is a polite society" is also wrong, by the way.

The fact is, if one has a violent society, then people are going to use whatever means they have to cause violence. If guns aren't available, then they'll use knives or bombs or cars or whatever else they can.

One can make the claim that gun controls are meant to restrict random violent acts -- like the one guy shooting up Vegas -- since guns are tools that are specifically designed to cause injury and death and if someone just snaps then their ability to kill people is going to be a lot more limited (suddenly crazy people aren't likely to have the patience to try and plan the way to kill the most people rather than just go do it as soon as they can), but it is hardly as black-and-white as you seem to imply.

Contrast this with a disease. A disease isn't going to care about the "morality" of a host it infects; at most, there might be a correlation between certain behaviors and infection rates. This could be due to the infection vector or, in extremely rare cases, a genetic presupposition for infection that also affects behavior. I don't know of any disease that actually has that, though. Leprosy does have a genetic component; most of the human race can't get the disease. It requires certain genetic markers to be able to infect a host. That's the closest I can think of. Maybe rabies, too? Though the change in behavior is not genetic to my knowledge and a result of the infection itself.

The point is that there simply isn't a known mechanism where morality would affect disease infection rates, while the other things you cite as examples are not nearly as manifest.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Eh, Star Trek has wiped out a number of species before.

Janeway also just abandoned the Phage suffering people to their death. So much so when they just "left" the race behind, I was stunned. That wasn't how Trek was supposed to work.
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

The phage was a case where it's perfectly understandable why Voyager would not get involved. It was a disease so adaptive that a race that had devoted all their time and research to for years so that they were far more advanced that the Federation in that field were unable to cure. Included was the fact the species had become a race of prowling organ thieves.

If the Voyager crew had devoted time to helping, likely they would resolve nothing and probably end up as a collection of body parts in jars.

The Enterprise "Dear Doctor" really is the one that stands out as the least Trek in regards to medical intervention. Using the non existent prime directive and psuedo science in order to rationalise the extinction of a sentient species.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I love how the episode only makes no sense because of executive meddling. The original ending has Jonathan Archer give the cure to the populace after Phlox says it will have evolutionary repercussions.

The executives hated the two arguing (I assume one of them was possessed by Roddenberry's ghost) so they had them agree with the genocide plan.

Ugh.

It really all amounts to the fact someone forgot the Prime Directive was created solely so Roddenberry could have Kirk be a maverick against it.