Vidme Shutting Down?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Robovski
Captain

Re: Vidme Shutting Down?

Post by Robovski »

Apparently Vimeo is the future! Hopefully it can resist Chuck's dark touch.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Well, the good news is that if history is anything to go by, the fourth regeneration is the longest-lasting one.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

ORCACommander wrote:torrent files will not generate ad revenue for sfdebris so its off the table until the patreon is large enough or if he is going to do ad spots in the videos themselves.
Is SFDebris getting any ad revenue? I don't see any ads on his current videos on VidMe. I assumed it was all donations now.
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

VidMe wasn't showing me any ads either, even on my tablet or phone. No wonder they shuttered.
PlasmaHam
Redshirt

Post by PlasmaHam »

I never noticed any ads either. I specifically turned off my adblocker for Vidme and SFDebris.com (something I try to for small, independent websites that I like), yet never saw any in-video ads. I saw ads with the prior video services, but never Vidme.

Perhaps Chuck could look into doing in-video ads? I know there are some Youtube people who lost ads on Youtube for "unsafe content" doing that sort of thing to keep afloat. I wouldn't mind a little 30 second advert at the beginning of a review. I know there are problems with that, but it's something to look into.
TheNewTeddy
Officer

Post by TheNewTeddy »

Robovski wrote:Apparently Vimeo is the future! Hopefully it can resist Chuck's dark touch.
This was a thought. I looked at their alexa website rankings. Vidme was around 1,500-2,000th most popular on the entire internet.

vimeo is closer to 150.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

PlasmaHam wrote:I never noticed any ads either. I specifically turned off my adblocker for Vidme and SFDebris.com (something I try to for small, independent websites that I like), yet never saw any in-video ads. I saw ads with the prior video services, but never Vidme.

Perhaps Chuck could look into doing in-video ads? I know there are some Youtube people who lost ads on Youtube for "unsafe content" doing that sort of thing to keep afloat. I wouldn't mind a little 30 second advert at the beginning of a review. I know there are problems with that, but it's something to look into.
I think Chuck's problems with YouTube are more of the "they'll give me DMCA strikes and shut me down" than of the "they won't monetize my videos" variety.
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins