Star Trek: Into Darkness

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Into Darkness

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Well Kirk is a fundamentally different man because he lacks his father's influence. It gets back to what I said about Beyond.

Beyond acts like the previous 2 movies didn't happen and he's just classic Kirk.

Some people like that. Other people don't.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I was expecting he'd have an arc after the first movie. I guess it's kinda sudden or unexplained, but also though dying kinda does that to you.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:27 pm Well Kirk is a fundamentally different man because he lacks his father's influence. It gets back to what I said about Beyond.

Beyond acts like the previous 2 movies didn't happen and he's just classic Kirk.

So without his dad he became this an immature whiner? I don't buy it.
Andrew Joshua Talon
Redshirt

Post by Andrew Joshua Talon »

clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:31 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:27 pm Well Kirk is a fundamentally different man because he lacks his father's influence. It gets back to what I said about Beyond.

It could be a bit of commentary on how a lack of strong father figures in children's lives can leave them as assholes, but I can't credit a movie this dumb for something that subtle.
TrueMetis
Officer

Post by TrueMetis »

Well there's also been no mention of Tarsus IV either, witnessing 4000 people killed by Kodos would have had a significant effect on ones development I should think. Though It could just be that being born 2 1/2 months early fucked up his mental development.

Anyway I find Kirk's whining about Spock not lying to save him annoying when the original was the guy who wouldn't lie to save his friends. Benjamin Finney made a mistake that while easily fixed could have lead to the destruction of the ship, but it would have been trivial for Kirk to hide what happened simply by not mentioning it. Nevertheless Kirk reported the incident as regulations required. Good job Kirk, sucks for you Finney, NuKirk quit whining like a little bitch.
Andrew Joshua Talon
Redshirt

Post by Andrew Joshua Talon »

TrueMetis wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:57 am Well there's also been no mention of Tarsus IV either, witnessing 4000 people killed by Kodos would have had a significant effect on ones development I should think. Though It could just be that being born 2 1/2 months early fucked up his mental development.

Anyway I find Kirk's whining about Spock not lying to save him annoying when the original was the guy who wouldn't lie to save his friends. Benjamin Finney made a mistake that while easily fixed could have lead to the destruction of the ship, but it would have been trivial for Kirk to hide what happened simply by not mentioning it. Nevertheless Kirk reported the incident as regulations required. Good job Kirk, sucks for you Finney, NuKirk quit whining like a little bitch.
And the fact that Finney went crazy proves that Starfleet Command was right to deny him command. Finney clearly had the technical skills to be a Starfleet captain, but not the mental fortitude or character. You really do want the best of the best to be in command of your flagships. Kirk definitely proved that he was just that. NuKirk? Is only marginally better than Finney.

And I agree: Tarsus IV is a VITAL part of Kirk's development into the man he became, and skipping it is just as big a change in his character as losing his father.
jadenova
Officer

Post by jadenova »

clearspira wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:31 am

Anakin Skywalker didn't have a father either.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

OMG IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE!
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

I don't refer to Pine's version of Kirk as "Kirk".
I call him Gary.

Him being Kirk adds NOTHING to the stories because he acts so different from the character.
None of the adventures make meaningful use of the established material.

Just have him be a new character. Captain Gary of the Enterprise-X.
It is a reboot. Nothing matters.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Moar like Space Dandy:

youtu.be/Z-t4fx8zdxQ
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."