Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
sayla0079
Captain

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by sayla0079 »

lol imagine if they had used the original ver of the Valiant script where it was Kira and Jake instead of Jake and Nog.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:57 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:28 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:28 pm and unless whalers went after the same pod, how would they lean from experience?
Communication? I know whales don't have a written system of communication, but couldn't word of mouth spread news of an existential threat? Just "stay away from ships" might be good advice.
how would they now witch ships to stay away from since whales still come up to ships, whalers or not?

and I'd still like to know if the episode "Valiant" would have worked if the cadets were mature beyond their years like in The Lion Guard as I asked above before the whale thing.
Staying away from all ships would have been good advice, I think.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:57 pm and I'd still like to know if the episode "Valiant" would have worked if the cadets were mature beyond their years like in The Lion Guard as I asked above before the whale thing.
Well, then the entire plot wouldn't have happened, or they would have been incredibly stupid instead of simply inexperienced.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:41 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:28 pm and unless whalers went after the same pod, how would they lean from experience?
Communication? I know whales don't have a written system of communication, but couldn't word of mouth spread news of an existential threat? Just "stay away from ships" might be good advice.
how would they now witch ships to stay away from since whales still come up to ships, whalers or not?

and I'd still like to know if the episode "Valiant" would have worked if the cadets were mature beyond their years like in The Lion Guard as I asked above before the whale thing.
I still don't see how they'd know a whaling ship from a cruise ship.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:26 am

They don't need to know a whaling ship from a cruise ship. If they stay away from all ships then they are staying away from the whaling ships. Staying away from ships that aren't whaling ships wouldn't hurt whales much.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:54 am

They don't need to know a whaling ship from a cruise ship. If they stay away from all ships then they are staying away from the whaling ships. Staying away from ships that aren't whaling ships wouldn't hurt whales much.
them wanting to be friendly or not knowing exactly what separates whalers from other humans doesn't meant they aren't intelligent. in other ways, cetaceans are almost like us. dolphins held in captivity display the same type of mental illnesses a human in the same situation would and have even been known to commit suicide by choosing not to breathe.

and I now realize that "Valiant" wouldn't work any other way but I think what I was wondering is would a bunch of kids in charge in different circumstances and them being successful in their missions be that bad since The Lion Guard does that?
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:20 pm

them wanting to be friendly or not knowing exactly what separates whalers from other humans doesn't meant they aren't intelligent. in other ways, cetaceans are almost like us. dolphins held in captivity display the same type of mental illnesses a human in the same situation would and have even been known to commit suicide by choosing not to breathe.

and I now realize that "Valiant" wouldn't work any other way but I think what I was wondering is would a bunch of kids in charge in different circumstances and them being successful in their missions be that bad since The Lion Guard does that?
They don't have to know what separates whalers from other humans. I keep repeating that, but it doesn't seem to sink in. Have a good day.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:28 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:20 pm

They don't have to know what separates whalers from other humans. I keep repeating that, but it doesn't seem to sink in. Have a good day.
okay but I also gave you other examples of whales and dolphins' mental capacities
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

SuccubusYuri wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:10 pm I dunno I always got the impression Chuck never had a strong affinity for EITHER Dax, she's just kind of the whipping boy in DS9 no matter the incarnation. I think there's even a video where he says picking between them is kind of pointless.

Now, a single season, dovetailing with what many regard as a weak season, is gonna hamper the good that comes from her character. Jadzia just got to roll more dice.

I think more generally it's actually the same way he regards characters (such as they are) like Harry Kim. "Why would you put a loser in your show?", he sees Ezri as a loser because she's an initiate and was never supposed to join in the first place, so one man's "this is what a normal person would have to deal with" is Chuck's "this person only has struggles and no triumphs what's wrong with you?". That rubs off in his jokes against her, so it maybe gives them that cutting edge. Or at least that's how I've read it.
You got a point I might be looking too much into it since the books seemed to handle Ezri better character wise.At least the ones I have read anyway. lol speaking of which after reading some of the ds9 relaunch novels and watching enterprise is it wrong if I find it hilarious that an unprepared trill that was having freakouts when she first showed up ended up becoming a better captain then archer was in the first couple seasons of enterprise?
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

a few more things.

I think chuck missed the point of "Resolutions" and Voyager as a whole that they are supposed to be a family and Janeway is a mother figure. sure, maybe "Resolutions" was too early in the show to demonstrate that bond but I don't know why Chuck is saying such a bond does not exist between the characters.

and I have seen a video on YouTube that reinforced my disagreement with Chuck on Dukat. he was just trying to convince others he had redeeming qualities, he never really loved his daughter as demonstrated when he was a party to the plot to destroy the Bajorian Sun witch would also take out that entire solar system, including DS9. he was a complete and utter monster like Gul Darhe'el from the very start he just masked it with charisma at first and after "Waltz" he merely dropped the facade. and this is also part of my problem with Chuck's speech in "Lethe". if we fall for a fictional character pretending to be a nice guy despite the atrocities he's committed, we could fall for it again the next dictator comes along and we have in the past like with Hitler.

and this may seem hypocritical after my condemning of Equinox crew but I am in disagreement about the Vidians from "Phage" and the Hirogeon from "Flash and Blood". first, to get it out of the way, besides the one hostile species that we were only told about, it seems all of the Equinox's problems came from murdering the Spirits, so, what I will say about the other two groups are different circumstances.

the Vidians seemingly had no other way to prolong their lives but to steal other people's organs. and unlike the Borg, excluding unusual situations, cannot be reasoned with, but the Vadians could be and while maybe Janeway should have just taken back the lungs, her not doing it worked out since they found another way to fix Neelix. and killing that one Vidian wouldn't solve the problem their whole species represents.

and I don't know if the Herogeon meant for the holograms to be actually sapient, just to have the appearance of sapience, otherwise, it would defeat the purpose of why they switched to Holograms in the first place. and even if they were sadists who made the holograms self aware on purpose, those specific Herogeon who ordered it done are dead and the ones Voyager teams up with are just responding to the deaths of their fellows.

and I still have problems with Chuck not even touching on the moral implications about Discord from My Little Pony. the shows pattern of near absolute leniency but still inconstant treatment of antagonists and even protagonists is what made me not want to watch the show anymore. what, the villain of the newest season finale gets sent to Tartarus for high treason despite being a child but Discord and Tempest from the movie, who are guilty of the same crime, get a pass just because they felt bad about it?

these messages aren't even relatable to kids. if kids are supposed to use these messages in their ever day lives, why does the show almost always give serious criminals as their examples of who to unconditionally forgive as long as they're sorry and not just bullies like Diamond Tiara?

and back to the whale intelligence thing. them being as smart, or smarter then humans doesn't mean they don't also have a different mindset then us that explains why they don't stay away from all ships just in case. and again, it's been proven that they react the same way to captivity as humans.

and again, not sure why the idea of Wesley Crusher being smarter then the adult crew is a problem. the main characters of The Lion Guard are kids who are suddenly thrust into the position of a praetorian guard but them saving the day despite being inexperienced kids works.