DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: DIS: “Will You Take My Hand?”

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Fianna wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:11 pm What I don't get is why Kirk just assumed Spock would lie to back up Kirk's report. Did he never discuss this with Spock at all? Actually ask Spock to lie so Kirk wouldn't get in trouble? Because, if not, then forget being a dick, he's just an idiot.
Quite the prisoner's dilemma.

I'm not really sure if that closing clip in the review with the crew watching Kirk blatantly lie in the captain's report was a deleted scene, though it would insist that Spock knew what telling the truth would entail for Kirk. That being said, despite what Chuck said about Kirk's petulance on the matter, that scene was pretty funny and would make more sense with regard to what you're saying.
..What mirror universe?
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Since the issue was that Kirk revealed the Enterprise in order to save the life of Spock (who seemed to be okay with saving the natives as long as they weren't exposed), I think Kirk was just thinking "well, obviously Spock will back me up- after all, my "crime" was saving his life."

He just doesn't wrap his head around the fact that Spock would honestly rather die than violate the Prime Directive...which, to be fair, is a pretty radical position, and a trait more of Kelvin-Spock than regular Spock.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

If I recall right, it's implied in a conversation with angry Uhura and Spock, that Spock has kind of a death-wish at that point.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Yeah, or at least that he was too cavalier with his own life and didn't appreciate what he had.

Kelvin-Spock seems traumatised by the death of his mother and the loss of his homeworld tbh, perhaps especially since this happened largely to hurt him. He's more insecure and emotionally distant than Nimoy-Spock ever was.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Kelvin Spock seems more like the younger version of Mirror Spock than Nimoy Spock. Remember that Mirror Spock wasn't evil as much as he was a cold pragmatist.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I've never gotten the sense of much development in Kelvin Spock stemming from his mother's death. His relationship with Uhura has definitely been formatted into the story from it, but even before the demise of Vulcan it's just suggested that he's not as emotionally matured as the original Spock. The logic device acts as a good filter to examine a Vulcan's caricature arc. Tuvac has to explain how he was able to be a mole within the Maquis despite his logic disposition, and he really doesn't have the hardest of time just saying that it was plainly logical to lie in order to do so. Spock's not quite there though. The mission and the policies of the Starfleet are the logical things to do. Unfortunately that's pretty much all he can make of the situation when he weighs his choices.
..What mirror universe?
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

Zoinksberg wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:12 pm
CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:32 pm I like Discovery - and I don't concur on Chucks "this show is devoid of joy". We have little moments of it - for example when Tilly set next to Ash and some of her friends did so, too.
That was a moment of joy for you? Tilly sitting with him silently just showing she was there for him was a nice moment. When everyone else started gathering around, shaking his hand, laughing and talking with him it felt like they took that nice moment and just rammed it down your throat. It felt like when someone tells a decent joke and then decides they need to explain it and repeat the punch line several times afterwards while laughing loudly about it.

To the point though, when the rebuttal to "this show is devoid of joy" is to say "no it's not, there's 10 seconds right there!" then it really solidifies Chuck's point more than deflates it.
I have to disagree with you there, Zoinksberg.
The whole scene was a moment of joy for me - Tilly being there for Ash and the rest showing, that "yeah, no matter if you're a Klingon, you're going through some tough times and we are there for you."

And there are more moments of joy and fun in this show. the whole banter between Michael and the different Versions of Captain Georgiou, Saru and captain Lorca. When one says "it's devoid of joy" I expect something like Stargate Universe.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

Dumb question that was probably answered by now, has SF Debris stated when he plans to review season 2? Cause... whoo boy. So much of season 2 is... yeah.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.