B5: And The Sky Full of Stars

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Re: B5: And The Sky Full of Stars

Post by CrypticMirror »

goodperson25 wrote:
Mickey_Rat15 wrote:The newspaper article on the Psi Corps endorsing Clark for the Vice Presidency. Why would they tip their hand for that? This was an American based show. The US Vice President has virtually no inherent authority until he has all of it when the President goes toes up. Most viewers would probably assume the same of EarthGov. So why publically endorse Clark without endorsing anyone else?
Politics. :D I'm not certain about what Psi Corps plans were or how exactly it went down but I think it can be explained by that in someway regardless.

For more specific thoughts I think they could be playing the long game with an endorsement (or appearing to in the case of a sudden promotion) for the purposes of upcoming elections (or less lofty goals) and as for the article maybe it's dubious enough that it can be explained away. (wether they leaked it that way or if it was statements/actions taken out of context and/or exaggerated)
Maybe it looked like Clark was already going to win the VP position and Psi Corp was just looking to be part of the "endorsed the winner" halo effect, boosting their profile and making them seem less like the Nasty Party. We saw from that infomercial advert in "And Now For A Word" that Psi Corp wants their public image to be warm and fuzzy (and scary evil just in private), so maybe there is that. Maybe most of Psi Corp doesn't have the image problem that Bester made us -the viewers- have with the Psi Cops, which is just the Psi Corps internal enforcement arm. There is enough demand for commercial telepaths, after all.
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

CrypticMirror wrote:Maybe it looked like Clark was already going to win the VP position and Psi Corp was just looking to be part of the "endorsed the winner" halo effect, boosting their profile and making them seem less like the Nasty Party. We saw from that infomercial advert in "And Now For A Word" that Psi Corp wants their public image to be warm and fuzzy (and scary evil just in private), so maybe there is that. Maybe most of Psi Corp doesn't have the image problem that Bester made us -the viewers- have with the Psi Cops, which is just the Psi Corps internal enforcement arm. There is enough demand for commercial telepaths, after all.
I suppose Psi Corps may have a better reputation with the general public than what we get on the show due to Ivanova's personal resentment of what her mother suffered with them due the telepath laws.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
Aotrs Commander
Officer

Post by Aotrs Commander »

Ah, I liked this episode myself. Mind you, as I would in my mid-teens at the time, I found (and still do, to be honest) the over-acting more engaging. The mystery of it all grabbed me something fierce as well.

Not quite so much as the the first glimpse of the Walker of Sigma 957, but still fairly solidly.