Orville - Old Wounds

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Rasp
Officer

Re: Orville - Old Wounds

Post by Rasp »

I sat down to watch the first season and I liked it.

feel I'd just be echo everyone elses points if I said anything beyond - hey good season wanna see what they do with the second. it's not amazing but I wanna see where they're going with this.
I am the one who requested Chuck review Kannazuki No Miko. (under an old alias)

I count it among the most despicable things I have ever done to another human being and I'm sorry.

Things I have requested that are not evil:
* Anna's Quest
* Contradiction
* TECHNOBABYLON
fundefined
Redshirt

Post by fundefined »

Come on Chuck, no mention that the scientist also played Bashir's dad?!
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

fundefined wrote:Come on Chuck, no mention that the scientist also played Bashir's dad?!
It is good to see that he finally found his calling in life; mad science. Wait.....
Thaeri
Redshirt

Post by Thaeri »

Ghilz wrote:But on the topic of tone, the show I think about when watching the Orville is Stargate SG1. Stargate was WAY sillier than Star Trek, but not to the point where the show undercuts its drama so much, and I sort of feel that its a point the Orville could stand to aim for.
Oh! You're right :)

The thing about Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis wasn't so much that they were sillier though, it was that they knew what they actually were, for the most part (and it took a season or two to actually get there). Star Trek at the same time was often going way too serious or way too comedic.

The Orville does know what it is however, at least after a few episodes. And that makes it easy to forgive for what it isn't.
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

While I agree with the general sentiment that's come up in this thread about the episode with Darulio, that it was a bad episode (in fact, I retract my earlier statement about Old Wounds being the weakest), I have seen it stated by others a few times around the web that it was the funniest episode. So I guess some people really liked it for the humor, others found it offensive.

Comedy really is subjective.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Ghilz wrote: But on the topic of tone, the show I think about when watching the Orville is Stargate SG1. Stargate was WAY sillier than Star Trek, but not to the point where the show undercuts its drama so much, and I sort of feel that its a point the Orville could stand to aim for.
I really like the SG-1 comparison. SG-1 could be laugh-out-loud funny at times, but could do very serious stories as well. "Cor-Ai," the episode where Teal'C was on trial, got dark in a major way (but then, as I've noted elsewhere, I'm a bit of a sucker for redemption arcs).
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Darth Wedgius wrote:
Ghilz wrote: But on the topic of tone, the show I think about when watching the Orville is Stargate SG1. Stargate was WAY sillier than Star Trek, but not to the point where the show undercuts its drama so much, and I sort of feel that its a point the Orville could stand to aim for.
I really like the SG-1 comparison. SG-1 could be laugh-out-loud funny at times, but could do very serious stories as well. "Cor-Ai," the episode where Teal'C was on trial, got dark in a major way (but then, as I've noted elsewhere, I'm a bit of a sucker for redemption arcs).
Teal'c never felt he was redeemed. I just want to post one of his best scenes here, from the SG1 Ark of Truth telemovie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTzuxhOh80M

Teal'c knows what true redemption means. It means never feeling you are redeemed but always fighting for it anyway.
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

CrypticMirror wrote:
fundefined wrote:Come on Chuck, no mention that the scientist also played Bashir's dad?!
It is good to see that he finally found his calling in life; mad science. Wait.....
GENTLEMEN BEHOLD! A Thermo...stat!

(Name that series)
karasoth
Redshirt

Post by karasoth »

So my first post on here:

The Orville is trying to figure itself out. And I think they have.....but its about tuning the message in a bit.

The Humanism Gene championed on Star Trek was sterile and frankly unrealistic. The goofy elements of The Orville allow they to add humanity to the Humanism of Trek. Its something thats easier to argue if we want to nuke spoiler norms here (and I am new I dont know how you guys like your spoilers)
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

SFDebris's review of the work is more encouraging, and it looks better than it could be, but I'm really torn by a deep suspicion of Seth McFarlane and my desire to douse him with vinagrette dressing and then drop-kick him into a pit of starving cheerleaders.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville