DIS: Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Asvarduil
Officer

Re: DIS: Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Post by Asvarduil »

clearspira wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 6:25 pmThe only man I can remotely see who would hire Saru would be season 1 Picard as they surrender just as often as each other.
This is false.

Picard seeks out new life and surrenders to it. Saru flees everything (at least, up to the reviewed episode.) That's very different. Arguably, it makes Picard look like he's channeling The Sisko in his Season 1 outings.
MixedDrops
Officer

Post by MixedDrops »

clearspira wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:33 pm I'll tell you the problem with what you just said regarding biological determinism: Every Star Trek race has a hat. Klingons are 99% warriors. Vulcans are 99% logical. Ferengi are 99% greedy. Romulans are 99% untrustworthy. Bajorans are 99% religious. Hirogen are 99% hunters. Kazon are 99% thug. Al-Aurians are the planet of listeners.
Biological determinism in real life is bullshit because human beings have multiple cultures, societies, and ways of doing things. In Star Trek, if you are of a particular race, you WILL be defined by that race unless you are a super special character. And that is why the Kelpians are guaranteed to be 99% cowardly because biological determinism is a fact in the Trekverse.
Like I said before, if this is the route you're going to take, then you might as well complain about the fact humans star in Trek all the time when Vulcans are "objectively" superior to Humans in basically every aspect, among numerous other things you can point to as "ridiculous" within the confined spaces of a written program.

It's really obvious you're only using diegetic arguments when it suits you.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

MixedDrops wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:54 am
clearspira wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:33 pm I'll tell you the problem with what you just said regarding biological determinism: Every Star Trek race has a hat. Klingons are 99% warriors. Vulcans are 99% logical. Ferengi are 99% greedy. Romulans are 99% untrustworthy. Bajorans are 99% religious. Hirogen are 99% hunters. Kazon are 99% thug. Al-Aurians are the planet of listeners.
Biological determinism in real life is bullshit because human beings have multiple cultures, societies, and ways of doing things. In Star Trek, if you are of a particular race, you WILL be defined by that race unless you are a super special character. And that is why the Kelpians are guaranteed to be 99% cowardly because biological determinism is a fact in the Trekverse.
Like I said before, if this is the route you're going to take, then you might as well complain about the fact humans star in Trek all the time when Vulcans are "objectively" superior to Humans in basically every aspect, among numerous other things you can point to as "ridiculous" within the confined spaces of a written program.

It's really obvious you're only using diegetic arguments when it suits you.
And tbh, its really obvious to me that you are not willing to listen to any other point of view that doesn't suit your narrative. I guess that is where we should halt this conversation.
MixedDrops
Officer

Post by MixedDrops »

I don't mind opinions that aren't my own if they don't involve massive amounts of mental gymnastics or arguments in poor faith, both of which you're dealing out in spades. Don't blame me if I'm not gullible enough to play your game.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

I actually really didn't like this episode, for a couple of reasons; I didn't feel there was much character in a character-focused episode (one of the few that STD even has), I found the CGI to be something of an eyesore, and I HATE the worldbuilding for Saru's species with a burning passion.

Saru's species are more poorly-conceived than the Ocampa IMO, and I think they should've been portrayed more as people with really good spider-sense, but who're /stereotyped/ as cowards. So on the planet, Saru is /effing terrified/ because he can't feel his spider-sense anymore and he can't feel danger coming. Basically, take the /less/ simple, /less/ boring and straightforward route.

One of the main problems with STD is that, for a show where characters only exist to serve as part of the plot, its plot is boring, straightforward to the point of obviousness (except for a few SHOCKING SWERVES which are pulled out of nowhere and justified post hoc with voodoo sharks), and contains nothing more interesting than tired genre tropes and halfhearted attempts to seem superficially progressive while fridging the gay guy and having the rape victim ride off into the sunset with his rapist.

...which is basically Alex Kurtzman's entire career as a writer, now that I think about it. Literally everything the man's done has either been tired genre cliche or nonsensical plot twists that inevitably disappoint.

ON the positive side, at least we got to see a little bit more of characters other than Burnham, and even though Saru is a boring hat from the planet of the hats and Ashvoq has no personality, the idea is good.
MixedDrops
Officer

Post by MixedDrops »

I'm still waiting on someone to give an explanation on why the Kelpiens are somehow a bad idea conceptually beyond "it's bad because I don't like it". I'm not trying to be antagonistic here, I genuinely want to read some more detailed thoughts on it.

And I have to say that bringing up Alex Kurtzman constantly in the context of DISCO always annoys me because the same people who do that never seem to acknowledge the fact that the show's staff also includes the names of Bryan Fuller, Nicholas Meyer and Joe Menosky.