Anime: Mobile Suit Gundam

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
animalia
Officer

Re: Anime: Mobile Suit Gundam

Post by animalia »

K.E. Schwartze wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:43 am
animalia wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:57 pm
SMAXZO wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:10 pm Fun fact about Gihren...when Papa Zabi compared him to Hitler, he took it as a compliment. Then again, Papa Zabi ain't exactly a saint considering he...well, I'd be spoiling the Origin if I said too much. Let's just say Char has a damn good reason for hating the Zabis.

Also, another fun fact...one of the many attempts Garma has to impress his sister? Start a research on Newtype Monkeys. That no one ever found out until 50 years after the One Year War and by that time, Zeon is nothing more than a memory.
I love Gundam The Origin but does anyone know how cannon it is? Especially considered it is based on flashback from a decidedly non cannon manga? I suppose it POSSIBLE that it's canon as the flashback parts (which are the parts that get animated) don't contradict the main timeline. But I just thought It worth bringing up here.
I don't much like getting into Canon/non canon arguments. But since Yaz did the manga, and has suggested through his other works, e.g. Venus Wars, that as well as doing the character designs, he had a hand in shaping the political plotting I'd consider it pretty official (especial the Char Origin stuff). The parts of the manga that parallel the movies/TV show seem to exist to further flesh out the supporting cast and further smooth the story out.
Thanks for telling me. I will have to consider requesting it if no one beets me to it. BTW I am the guy who requested Escaflowne.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

I think GUndam 00 would interest Chuck the most, it has Orbital Elevators and is generally the best at being SciFi.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

personally im more interested in seeing him do gundam seed as the first series is good -it has flaws but it gets a bad rap by a lot of people, its second series is what i like to call a case of clinical missing the point. It was a disaster and the worse part is it could have been good.
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

chaos42 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:50 am personally im more interested in seeing him do gundam seed as the first series is good -it has flaws but it gets a bad rap by a lot of people, its second series is what i like to call a case of clinical missing the point. It was a disaster and the worse part is it could have been good.
I on the other hand, after he gets done with Universal Century stuff, want to see him do G Gundam just to see what he thinks of how different a series it is to everything that came before it.

That and his reaction to some of the designs shown for the Gundams.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
cloudkitt
Officer

Post by cloudkitt »

Glad to see him doing more Gundam, though I've never seen the original. I've never had any problem with him doing anime at all, but I did prefer when he has covered ones that hew closer to science fiction. Bebop, Gundam, Eva, etc. Escaflowne is close enough, as would Trigun be, I think, though it takes awhile to get to those elements.

Anyway, as I said I've never seen the original (or the movie version), and I'm amazed at just how similar SEED really is. I'd heard of course that it was "basically a remake," but I guess I always kinda figured that was mostly referring to the Coordinator/NewType thing. But the whole premise is very nearly identical, haha. Hopefully the characters are less insufferable though.
I'm one of those mainstream kids that first saw Gundam Wing and maintain my softest spot for it, so I'm sure the hardcore Gundam fans don't care what I have to say :P
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

cloudkitt wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:45 pm Glad to see him doing more Gundam, though I've never seen the original. I've never had any problem with him doing anime at all, but I did prefer when he has covered ones that hew closer to science fiction. Bebop, Gundam, Eva, etc. Escaflowne is close enough, as would Trigun be, I think, though it takes awhile to get to those elements.

Anyway, as I said I've never seen the original (or the movie version), and I'm amazed at just how similar SEED really is. I'd heard of course that it was "basically a remake," but I guess I always kinda figured that was mostly referring to the Coordinator/NewType thing. But the whole premise is very nearly identical, haha. Hopefully the characters are less insufferable though.
I'm one of those mainstream kids that first saw Gundam Wing and maintain my softest spot for it, so I'm sure the hardcore Gundam fans don't care what I have to say :P
gundam seed is and isn't a remake its in the middle. It takes its ques from the original but it isn't just that, other gundam series inspire it and improve it. Plus it takes some of the undertones and elements and makes them things that are more commonly identifiable today.

First the main reason for the entire conflict is because a large portion of the federation are prejudice against the people in the plants (space colonies) because they are genetically engineered. Then some racist elements nuke an agricultural colony and this war starts. and the feds don't realize that while they have numbers the plants have better tech that makes up the biggest difference just like in the original series. the structure of the story continues similar to the original but having the character athrun who is one of 2 char clones in this series be the best friend of the main character kira and them not actually wanting to fight each other but are force to by out side factors. plus the resolution at one point that the people we have been following is that of the two side fighting this war neither is right and their both wrong.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

chaos42 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:01 am
cloudkitt wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:45 pm Glad to see him doing more Gundam, though I've never seen the original. I've never had any problem with him doing anime at all, but I did prefer when he has covered ones that hew closer to science fiction. Bebop, Gundam, Eva, etc. Escaflowne is close enough, as would Trigun be, I think, though it takes awhile to get to those elements.

gundam seed is and isn't a remake its in the middle. It takes its ques from the original but it isn't just that, other gundam series inspire it and improve it. Plus it takes some of the undertones and elements and makes them things that are more commonly identifiable today.

First the main reason for the entire conflict is because a large portion of the federation are prejudice against the people in the plants (space colonies) because they are genetically engineered. Then some racist elements nuke an agricultural colony and this war starts. and the feds don't realize that while they have numbers the plants have better tech that makes up the biggest difference just like in the original series. the structure of the story continues similar to the original but having the character athrun who is one of 2 char clones in this series be the best friend of the main character kira and them not actually wanting to fight each other but are force to by out side factors. plus the resolution at one point that the people we have been following is that of the two side fighting this war neither is right and their both wrong.
I've never seen anyone speak so positively of Seed before.
K.E. Schwartze
Redshirt

Post by K.E. Schwartze »

American Gundam fandom has always driven Bandai Spare. We didn't grow up with the original show (well there was a small section of fandom that has always been into it, but they don't make a good marketing survey, despite having money and in a lot of cases kids).

Most of the Younger Fans came in with Seed and/or Wing, and showed very little inclination to chase down "classic" UC material. Meantime, they were honking off the small but long-devoted (and fairly loaded) group who were all about the original series by bringing it out dub only and rather cheaply at that.

Bringing out the Manga "Gundam the Origin" was the best reading of the fandom. The newer (and often less popular) shows sell more kits, but there is a hard core of old schoolers still out there (and they recruit someone every now and then). And they would pay 20 bucks a book for a dozen books.
Archon_Wing
Redshirt

Post by Archon_Wing »

Chaos Sepher wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:16 pm Boy if Chuck ever reviews Zeta, he would have to keep tally of how many random punches and slaps happen to the point of it being hilarious.
I'll be waiting for that.
Chaos Sepher
Officer

Post by Chaos Sepher »

So how is the name Char pronounced? Chuck pronounces it as in "charred broiled" but I have always heard it, at least in the English dub, as "Sh-are".