TNG - "Heart of Glory"

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: TNG - "Heart of Glory"

Post by Deledrius »

Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:57 pm Who was the starship architect who decided to make catwalks of shatterable glass around the warp core?
Not only that, it's like... it shattered from the weight of someone falling just from standing. I'm not sure how he could even walk on it without falling through it to begin with.
Timore10
Redshirt

Post by Timore10 »

Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:57 pm Who was the starship architect who decided to make catwalks of shatterable glass around the warp core? Did someone value engineer out the transparent aluminum? That may be worse than control panels with tendencies to explode.
Even if it wasn't shattrable why would make it see though. In season 1 female officers(and a few male ones)had the option of wearing the short skirts.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

i think you just answered your own question.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

I assume it's for a better/wider view up the core housing shaft.
Shuboy07
Officer

Post by Shuboy07 »

I went ahead and rewatched the episode after the review and I agree with Chuck's score. After the filler plot, Dorn easily takes over the episode as Worf and we get a first glimpse into Worf's character (however we really don't get a deep dive until Ron Moore joined the staff). There's little touches such as Worf never touches his food while he dines with Admiral Forrest (as noted by Chuck) and Konmel. Going by his facial expressions and body language, I'd say Worf is trying to determine their motives and history. In fact, I like that the first episode focused on Worf has him thinking tactically and the episode actually doesn't have him get his ass kicked (the classic Worf Had the Flu trope).
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

What’s crazy is that it’s the 20th episode and only then did they finally give Worf a story and background.

Interestingly, for the first few episodes produced Worf was not actually supposed to be a main character, and was actually missing for a few episodes. You can see in early cast photo shoots where Dorn is not present because it wasn’t decided he would be part of the main cast by then. This is why in the pilot every character is given a moment or two as a way of letting the audience familiarize with them and know where they come from. All except Worf, who gets as much to do as the unnamed O’Brien.

I don’t think it was until right before the first episode aired that production decided to promote Dorn to the main cast, and by that point six episodes were in the can. Crazy to think Worf might have just remained a recurring background character.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Timore10 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:24 am Even if it wasn't shattrable why would make it see though. In season 1 female officers(and a few male ones)had the option of wearing the short skirts.
Someone asked that question to the ship designer only to get the responce "That's not a bug, it's a feature".

The ship designer in question:

Last edited by Beastro on Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shuboy07
Officer

Post by Shuboy07 »

I almost forgot to mention that I love that the Enterprise replicator has a "Klingon Party Platter" with a massive rack of ribs and a large bottle of booze handy for Klingon guests.
zardox78
Redshirt

Post by zardox78 »

The whole visor scene just makes you wonder, if Picard was so curious to see what was going on during away missions, why not just have them sport a regular camera? Why was Geordi-vision the only option and why was this the only time they ever exercised that option? I know. Many, many episode plots depend on the people on the ship not knowing what's going on with the away mission. And at this point in the '80s, cameras weren't so small and plentiful, and it didn't seem at all odd that future-people wouldn't have one on them at all times... because why would they? It's just not a good idea to go around poking holes in your own show-logic like that.
PapaPalpatine
Officer

Post by PapaPalpatine »

I remembered that scene where they were assembling a weapon from the odd bits on their uniforms. Man, wouldn't it be awkward if one of them was like:

"Oh, sorry guys, I left the emitter heads in my other pants back on the ship."