Star Trek Into Darkness Review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Review

Post by hammerofglass »

The Uhura-Spock relationship is there to reassure certain viewers that the Spock-Kirk bromance is platonic. That's it. That's Uhura's whole character.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I thought it was to try to appeal to the date crowd.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

While generally I enjoy Into Darkness I do admit that they could had used Uhura better and that her relationship with Spock did feel forced. More so than in 09. I mean I would had loved to see her have bigger role and be more of her own character but alas sadly that wasn't meant to be. Now since I haven't seen Beyond I don't know did they actually improve those things in it when it comes to Uhura or did they keep that same or make it worse.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

While I'm comfortable with the idea that Starfleet substantiates aspects of a military, it is interesting to speculate the non-military conception and see where Starfleet starts to stretch it.
Power laces... alright.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Mecha82 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:18 pm While generally I enjoy Into Darkness I do admit that they could had used Uhura better and that her relationship with Spock did feel forced. More so than in 09. I mean I would had loved to see her have bigger role and be more of her own character but alas sadly that wasn't meant to be. Now since I haven't seen Beyond I don't know did they actually improve those things in it when it comes to Uhura or did they keep that same or make it worse.
It's been a little while since I've seen Beyond, but I remember her being way better in it. Actually Beyond is much better with its female characters in general. If only they hadn't done a derp and make Sulu gay because George Takei is gay. I would have gone with Chekov.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Admiral X wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:50 am I like Urban as an actor, but I never took to him as Bones. This isn't his fault, but the writers'.
I enjoy him in these movies, but he always came off as the only one in them that was doing more of an impression of their TOS character than genuinely trying to get into the role.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Beastro wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:09 am
Admiral X wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:50 am I like Urban as an actor, but I never took to him as Bones. This isn't his fault, but the writers'.
I enjoy him in these movies, but he always came off as the only one in them that was doing more of an impression of their TOS character than genuinely trying to get into the role.
Totally the reverse. I think he channeled his character much better than everyone else.