Full Metal Panic!

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: Full Metal Panic!

Post by Deledrius »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:36 am
excalibur wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:06 am I think Chuck has watched so many specific anime that has panty shots...that anime which doesn't do that...surprises him. Meanwhile, us otakus that have been watching since the dawn of time have learned to never really expect the panty shot...but appreciate it when it shows up...most of the time
Well, thats entirely the fault of the people who made requests. He could have gone through the entire Ghibli catalog, Harlock, Yamato, Lain,Nadia Secret of Blue Water, the rest of Robotech, Cowboy Bebop and GiTS... and instead he went through Kannazuki No Miko, Mahoromatic and Full Moon.
My thoughts exactly. This seems to mainly be a problem of selection bias from the requests. Quite unfortunate.
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

Deledrius wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:41 am
excalibur wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:06 am I think Chuck has watched so many specific anime that has panty shots...that anime which doesn't do that...surprises him. Meanwhile, us otakus that have been watching since the dawn of time have learned to never really expect the panty shot...but appreciate it when it shows up...most of the time
Well, thats entirely the fault of the people who made requests. He could have gone through the entire Ghibli catalog, Harlock, Yamato, Lain,Nadia Secret of Blue Water, the rest of Robotech, Cowboy Bebop and GiTS... and instead he went through Kannazuki No Miko, Mahoromatic and Full Moon.
My thoughts exactly. This seems to mainly be a problem of selection bias from the requests. Quite unfortunate.
Unfortunate? Quite the opposite, to me. They are very good to excellent shows (KnM excepted. Although, there are a lot of people that would place KnM in the 'very good' category).

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=4548
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

jstrahan wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:14 pm
Deledrius wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:41 am
Well, thats entirely the fault of the people who made requests. He could have gone through the entire Ghibli catalog, Harlock, Yamato, Lain, Nadia Secret of Blue Water, the rest of Robotech, Cowboy Bebop and GiTS... and instead he went through Kannazuki No Miko, Mahoromatic and Full Moon.
Unfortunate? Quite the opposite, to me. They are very good to excellent shows (KnM excepted. Although, there are a lot of people that would place KnM in the 'very good' category).
Indeed. Full Moon especially was a pleasant surprise. I didn't say the shows were poor.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

jstrahan wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:14 pm Unfortunate? Quite the opposite, to me. They are very good to excellent shows (KnM excepted. Although, there are a lot of people that would place KnM in the 'very good' category).
You're mileage will vary. But largely, Chuck has been given anime shows that aren't exactly in his sci-fi spaceship wheelhouse, and also a LOT of shows that are fanservice centric and very steeped in tropes. Stuff that's maybe fine if you';ve seen a lot of anime so you know what niche it is and that's just a part of it.

But if he really hasn't looked into any other anime outside of the stuff in his queue, then yeah, he's absolutely gotten a very weird impression of it all.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

K.E. Schwartze wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:04 am FMP is kinda fun, but I prefer Fumofu to the other seasons (Second raid isn't much better than season one, but it is Kyoani). Truthfully though, I much prefer Amagi Brilliant Park (less swervy, but does what the writer does well).
Are you saying that about TSR because you don't like it or because you think it's actually bad? If you think it's actually bad I would like you to explain why you think it's bad so that I might understand why you think that.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

Its a weird experience hearing Vic Mmignogna voice a character like Kurtz considering the nature of the scandal he's been involved in recently.
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:22 am
jstrahan wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:14 pm Unfortunate? Quite the opposite, to me. They are very good to excellent shows (KnM excepted. Although, there are a lot of people that would place KnM in the 'very good' category).
You're mileage will vary. But largely, Chuck has been given anime shows that aren't exactly in his sci-fi spaceship wheelhouse, and also a LOT of shows that are fanservice centric and very steeped in tropes. Stuff that's maybe fine if you';ve seen a lot of anime so you know what niche it is and that's just a part of it.

But if he really hasn't looked into any other anime outside of the stuff in his queue, then yeah, he's absolutely gotten a very weird impression of it all.
I think so far, all his shows have been pretty varied for the most part. He hasn't done a lot of the more mainstream anime that centers around fan service.

MrL1992 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:11 am Its a weird experience hearing Vic Mmignogna voice a character like Kurtz considering the nature of the scandal he's been involved in recently.
That didn't take long. I'd rather let sleeping dogs lie than to address the elephant in the room about Vic. It would be nice that we keep on topic than to devolve into controversies behind the scenes. Which is probably why Chuck should have watched this show in the original Japanese. Early 2000s dub can be very hit or miss
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
K.E. Schwartze
Redshirt

Post by K.E. Schwartze »

Mecha82 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:24 pm
K.E. Schwartze wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:04 am FMP is kinda fun, but I prefer Fumofu to the other seasons (Second raid isn't much better than season one, but it is Kyoani). Truthfully though, I much prefer Amagi Brilliant Park (less swervy, but does what the writer does well).
Are you saying that about TSR because you don't like it or because you think it's actually bad? If you think it's actually bad I would like you to explain why you think it's bad so that I might understand why you think that.
It's not my favorite story, but it is pretty good at what it does (there is some actual growth in some of the characters).

I have similar issues with TSR as I have with a lot of Gundam and other Sunrise shows (Planetes has this to a lesser degree over its manga). Too much plot and world-building, that is incompletely thought out and gets in the way of the "Story" (the actual lead characters lives). World building involves 2 things, thinking through the implications of any detail you decide to add. And revealing only what part of the world-0buiilding that is necessary. This isn't an Anime-only problem, but a lot of Anime have it (and Sunrise shows are notorious for it).
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

I think it's because there's so much lore that the anime leaves out vs the light novel this is all based on.
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
K.E. Schwartze
Redshirt

Post by K.E. Schwartze »

excalibur wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:24 am I think it's because there's so much lore that the anime leaves out vs the light novel this is all based on.
Not really, I own Sigma (the Manga continuation). The issue is too MUCH "plot", and too much eagerness to show bits of plot instead of concentrating on the characters. The secondary problem is that the plot is rarely well thought out, too many ideas without a solid theme.