DIS - Point of Light

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Worffan101
Captain

Re: DIS - Point of Light

Post by Worffan101 »

Season 2 was such a fucking boring, muddled mess. Completely incoherent on a larger plot level, and fueled by nonsensical scripts that regularly contradict each other and culminating in mining the very worst parts of the novelverse for the absolute worst character in the entirety of licensed Star Trek media to use as the big bad.

Seriously, "Control" is literally the dumbest, most cliched, disgustingly stupid, wannabe edgelord, sabotaging-the-very-concept-of-the-Federation-itself, puerile, juvenile pseudocynical, '90s Rob Liefeld piece of shit character ever to be "created" by a grown man who thinks he's way smarter and funnier than he actually is. Keith RA DeCandido is lucky that that overgrown 13 year old 8chan fetishist David Mack exists, because otherwise that performatively tolerant faux-woke shill would be the worst writer ever to touch Star Trek (and I'm including fanfic writers there).

Yes, I hate STD season 2. Why do you ask?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Well it was certainly better than the first season.
..What mirror universe?
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:06 pm Well it was certainly better than the first season.
At least the first season had a point. Season 2 was even less coherent and loaded with Alex Kurtzman's signature idiocy.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Worffan101 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:08 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:06 pm Well it was certainly better than the first season.
At least the first season had a point. Season 2 was even less coherent and loaded with Alex Kurtzman's signature idiocy.
Season 2 was more interesting than Season 1 episode to episode. On paper the plot surrounding Lorca isn't too shabby, but there isn't strong enough supporting character stories I think. The angel in season 2 doesn't tie things together that greatly, but the premise of Pike taking over the ship to find Spock is a really refreshing backdrop for the excursion missions that come about.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

If you feel that way, Worffan101, I wonder what you'd think of my own planned crossover? Foldspace?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:16 pm
Season 2 was more interesting than Season 1 episode to episode. On paper the plot surrounding Lorca isn't too shabby, but there isn't strong enough supporting character stories I think. The angel in season 2 doesn't tie things together that greatly, but the premise of Pike taking over the ship to find Spock is a really refreshing backdrop for the excursion missions that come about.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because literally the only redeeming feature of season 2 was Anson Mount.
Chaltab
Redshirt

Post by Chaltab »

Worffan101 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:42 pm I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because literally the only redeeming feature of season 2 was Anson Mount.
That's a huge disservice to the rest of the cast. Has Doug Jones ever given a bad performance as Saru? Or any other character for that matter?
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Chaltab wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:59 pm
Worffan101 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:42 pm I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because literally the only redeeming feature of season 2 was Anson Mount.
That's a huge disservice to the rest of the cast. Has Doug Jones ever given a bad performance as Saru? Or any other character for that matter?
No offense to the actor, but the character is awful. And the whole concept behind his species, even with the Short Trek retcon, is Brannon Braga levels of understanding evolution. A race so chronically terrified of everything, and which evolved from livestock at that, would either have had a species wide coronary long before it achieved sapience, or would have lost that fear boner trait on its way.

It is a Neelix or Rom situation, the actor is good and does the best they can with the material, but the character is too annoying and too stupid to live.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Worffan101 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:42 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:16 pm
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because literally the only redeeming feature of season 2 was Anson Mount.
As I was saying, him taking over the ship makes for a good direction the show went in and provided a good backdrop for the unraveling events. Also as I was saying, the payoff in the form of the unraveling plot wasn't surmounting or anything, and didn't really add to the human / vulcan dynamic of Michael or anything. So between that yin and yang I don't think we've touched any ground where there is a strong disagreeance, save for how horrible you say it is, but there's room for speculation there given broad consensus.
..What mirror universe?
Chaltab
Redshirt

Post by Chaltab »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:19 pm No offense to the actor, but the character is awful. And the whole concept behind his species, even with the Short Trek retcon, is Brannon Braga levels of understanding evolution. A race so chronically terrified of everything, and which evolved from livestock at that, would either have had a species wide coronary long before it achieved sapience, or would have lost that fear boner trait on its way.
Yeah, and the whole 'fear boner' trait was revealed to be a nascent trait that the Kelpiens grow out of and become their world's apex predator? Like did you miss the whole thing where the Great Balance is a lie foisted upon them by a physically weaker but technologically more advanced species? They're more akin to what humans did to wolves to make them into dogs than anything else.

..also with all due respect to him (which is very little), nobody had a poorer understanding of evolution of evolution than Brannon Braga! Nobody in Discovery has attributed a divine plan to evolution so far, at least, or had a creature evolve into a salamander.