Andromeda: Under the Night/An Affirming Flame

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Scififan
Officer

Re: Andromeda: Under the Night/An Affirming Flame

Post by Scififan »

The Commonwealth had been in exile. There was a time travel episode where Dylan met with his wife and told her to move on without him and take the remnants of the Commonwealth and wait until things are safe to return.

Yeah, I liked this show a lot too, but it went downhill after about season 3 and just got too weird. I also liked Tyr.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

i have actually been thinking of buying the box set of the series just so i can watch it and laugh at it. I do hope that sf is going to keep doing these as this and babylon 5 are 2 non star trek series i enjoy. I wonder if we are ever going to get more blake 7 though
cdrood
Officer

Post by cdrood »

Sir Will wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:53 am I liked the series, at first. It's not the greatest show around, but I remember the first season being really solid. I loved quirky Trance and that edge to her we got to see a few times early on. I liked Rev Bem too, though I believe his departure was because of the makeup?

Spoilers for the rest of the series:

Anyway, I liked it at first, but then the time distortion episode happened. I actually quite like that episode, but I hate the introduction of gold Trance. While I still liked her character ok, I liked it a lot less than purple Trance. They revived the Commonwealth too quickly and easily and then didn't really take advantage of it. Tir got... weird. I never liked him much, not my kind of character, but I really hated him when he went all cult. I hated how much control Sorbo got. I know now how terrible a person he is but I liked his character less and less as the show went on and Dylan was made into this literal god. And season 5 is just bad.

They fired the original story guy and I did skim his take on the series some time ago and don't remember liking it all that much either, so I think the series was always doomed to go downhill.
The thing with Tyr is the actor got a better job on Young & The Restless. He had to be written out. Being a regular on the highest rated network daytime soap opera was a better deal than a made for syndication sci-fi show.
cdrood
Officer

Post by cdrood »

Has anyone else seen the 1970's Dylan Hunt movies, "Genesis 2" and "Planet Earth"? For those who don't know, there were two TV movies Roddenberry made which were about a man revived for suspended animation to find an Earth in ruins and works with others to restore it. Andromeda took that concept and kind of asked, "What if that happened to James T. Kirk?"

Both are VERY 70's, but Trek fans get another Diana Muldaur appearance in the second movie, which heavily retooled the concept and cast from the first. Whereas Genesis 2 felt like a pilot, Planet Earth was more of an episode in an ongoing series.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

cdrood wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:49 pm
Sir Will wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:53 am I liked the series, at first. It's not the greatest show around, but I remember the first season being really solid. I loved quirky Trance and that edge to her we got to see a few times early on. I liked Rev Bem too, though I believe his departure was because of the makeup?

Spoilers for the rest of the series:

Anyway, I liked it at first, but then the time distortion episode happened. I actually quite like that episode, but I hate the introduction of gold Trance. While I still liked her character ok, I liked it a lot less than purple Trance. They revived the Commonwealth too quickly and easily and then didn't really take advantage of it. Tir got... weird. I never liked him much, not my kind of character, but I really hated him when he went all cult. I hated how much control Sorbo got. I know now how terrible a person he is but I liked his character less and less as the show went on and Dylan was made into this literal god. And season 5 is just bad.

They fired the original story guy and I did skim his take on the series some time ago and don't remember liking it all that much either, so I think the series was always doomed to go downhill.
The thing with Tyr is the actor got a better job on Young & The Restless. He had to be written out. Being a regular on the highest rated network daytime soap opera was a better deal than a made for syndication sci-fi show.
I don't mind that he left, I didn't like his character much anyway. I don't remember the details exactly, just that he left the crew and was part of some cult or tribe of his that got weird or something because of the Darkness thing. I can't remember. Like I said, I'm fine with him leaving, but his storyline was bad.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

As far as season 5 goes, while Rommie being gone sucked, I did like Doyle, just not as much.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

cdrood wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:01 pmAndromeda took that concept and kind of asked, "What if that happened to James T. Kirk?"
I like that concept. Seeing someone believe in something better, and do the work to make it happen, and watch it take shape are all great stories. It's a shame Hollywood never seems to have enough faith in it to tell that kind of thing all the way through.
Starbug
Officer

Post by Starbug »

I have seasons 1&2 on BluRay (upgraded from DVD), and a couple of years back, I sat and re-watched them all. Can certainly tell where the big change happens.

One of those shows where the fan theories are much better than what we got.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Starbug wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:24 pm One of those shows where the fan theories are much better than what we got.
Which ones, for example?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Starbug
Officer

Post by Starbug »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:04 pmWhich ones, for example?
Tyr actually died during the battle at the end of season 2, and was replaced by an imposter/evil clone, explaining the sudden and massive personality shift from "a restored Commonwealth is the best chance we have of defeating the Magog" to "I just want to watch the world burn".

Trance being the "Avatar of a Star" is just a lie within a lie within a lie, and she's actually something far more mysterious and powerful.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.