DIS - The Red Angel

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Link8909
Captain

Re: DIS - The Red Angel

Post by Link8909 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:02 pm Spin-off I thought was a show conceived from a non-headlining character. As far as I could tell, Joey was as primary a character as anybody else in Friends and I think his show is still considered a spin-off, Friends wasn't really set from his perspective though compared to anyone else.
Joey... now that's a show I've not heard in a long time... a long time.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

He was the Chosen One! It was said that he would destroy the Sith, not join them!
Power laces... alright.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:12 am
Enterprising wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:05 amKlutzman has already demonstrated numerous times in the shows he's produced he doesn't know (or cares) about canon
You realize he literally wiped the entire show's canon out in order to make it fit into TOS, right?
Enterprising wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:05 am On the plus side, STD season 3 isn't a "re-boot" of the show, it's the ending of it. Right now Netflix isn't even going to show it to international audiences, which should tell everyone what they need to know how "successful" it's been.
Yes, none of this is true. CBS All-Access is apparently watched exclusively for Star Trek, Love Island, and The Good Fight. The reason they want five Star Trek shows is that as expensive and controversial as they are, people are watching them and paying to do it.

How much of a success is DISCOVERY?

They're now showing it on CBS during the pandemic. Which means it's the first Star Trek television show on regular television since DS9. It also means that DISCO has effectively managed to redeem its budget completely by being a show that they can slide into empty timeslots.

So, for all intents and purposes, this is a picture of Alex Kurtzman.

* It's got FIVE spin offs so far (Short Treks, Section 31, Picard, Lower Decks, and now Strange New Worlds)
* It's being shown on CBS now, the actual network which means that it has justified it's budget over again. https://www.startrek.com/news/star-trek-discovery-season-1-to-air-on-cbs
* Its second season got over 10 million viewers, all of which is the PAID FOR service that means it's raking up cash. https://ew.com/tv/2017/09/25/star-trek-discovery-ratings/
* It's the most watched show on All-Access by far.
* Parrotanalytics said it is the most in-demand streaming show of all time. https://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-ratings-most-popular-streaming-show/
* It's getting an award for most media requested show of all time: https://www.parrotanalytics.com/press/star-trek-discovery-recognized-as-one-of-the-most-in-demand-digital-original-series-by-industry-awards/
* TV Guide put it on their Top 100 Best Shows (58 with The Walking Dead as 100): https://www.tvguide.com/news/features/100-best-shows-tv-right-now-2020/

Its not a failure.

It is a DISGUSTING success.
Indeed, going by all this it looks like Star Trek is doing very well.

I only listen to official sources like interviews with the cast and crew, or sites like TrekMovie, if it's not from them I don't believe it, don't give me hearsay and rumors and present them as fact.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:43 pm He was the Chosen One! It was said that he would destroy the Sith, not join them!
Ok, now I want Star Wars recast with the cast of Friends.

- Jean-Luc Picard
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:13 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:12 amIts not a failure.

It is a DISGUSTING success.
It may have made it's money back and quite likely also made extra for them. But that is very different from being a disgusting success. Disgusting success would mean empty shelves where Star Trek toys used to be, Netflix and Amazon going into a bidding war to get Lower Decks and everything. The fact of the matter is, however, that the exact opposite happened. In a time where most people spend most of their time at home, quite likely using the new media to entertain them, none of the new or even old media feel the need to buy a "successful" show and distribute it world wide.
CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:12 am* It's got FIVE spin offs so far (Short Treks, Section 31, Picard, Lower Decks, and now Strange New Worlds)
Short Treks aren't a spin-off, they're an advert vehicle.
Section 31 is canceled.
Picard was an attempt to translate the nuTrek-style (brawns not brains and loads of spectacle) onto previous characters, in order to appeal to old fans. It was also a flop on Amazon and a damocles sword is hanging over the second season for more than one reason.
Lower Decks is an attempt at cashing in on a new concept that was often debated in the fandom (kudos for that), while at the same time capturing the fans of The Orville via all the wrong means (Trek fans are largely not watching The Orville for the humor).
Strange New Worlds is a TOS-reboot in order to make the brand viable again or at all, by trying to emphasize on Trek-elements while downplaying the nuTrek-style (action spectacle), in order to get old Trek-fans back on board again.

They wouldn't try to make "Strange New Worlds", if all the other shows were disgusting successes. They'd make more of those instead. The simple fact of the matter is, that Star Trek is the only thing that keeps CBS All Access alive. They have no other choice but creating spin-offs and reimaginings until they found the formula that makes them the most money. That or canning CBS All Access.
As someone who has a love letter to The Orville underneath every comment I make, I can confirm that the humour was the worst part of it. Season 2 ditched much of it and is all the better for it. Imo Seth pitched the show as ''Star Trek:Red Dwarf, brought to you by the guy who created Family Guy'' and was probably locked into a lot of it to begin with.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Hero_Of_Shadows
Officer

Post by Hero_Of_Shadows »

Link8909 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:53 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:43 pm He was the Chosen One! It was said that he would destroy the Sith, not join them!
Chandler: Ross it was said you would destroy the Sith not join them !!!

Ross: WE WERE ON A BREAK !
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Hero_Of_Shadows wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:50 pm
Link8909 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:53 pm
Chandler: Ross it was said you would destroy the Sith not join them !!!

Ross: WE WERE ON A BREAK !
Nice.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:11 pm
As someone who has a love letter to The Orville underneath every comment I make, I can confirm that the humour was the worst part of it. Season 2 ditched much of it and is all the better for it. Imo Seth pitched the show as ''Star Trek:Red Dwarf, brought to you by the guy who created Family Guy'' and was probably locked into a lot of it to begin with.
To show you how tastes vary, I'm ditching the Orville because of it. I'm not interested in Seth's attempts to do a serious science fiction show. I want to see a "slice of life in space" series because we've never seen that and the comedy elements were what made it interesting. The moment it became about protecting the galaxy from the Geth, I mean Kaylons, I realized this wasn't the show for me.

I admit I also realized that Ed and Kelly were MEANT TO BE when it was infinitely more interesting that it was two people who dind't work and had to get along post-divorce.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:13 pm Short Treks aren't a spin-off, they're an advert vehicle.
It has sold DVDs that were in top ten ratios, it's a show.
Section 31 is canceled.
No, it's not. Who told you this?

https://www.trektoday.com/content/2020/08/kurtzman-section-31-was-yeohs-idea/

This is from two weeks ago and talking about how excited they are about it.
Picard was an attempt to translate the nuTrek-style (brawns not brains and loads of spectacle) onto previous characters, in order to appeal to old fans. It was also a flop on Amazon and a damocles sword is hanging over the second season for more than one reason.
Here's an article about how the show did incredibly well and another one about the cast's excitement for Season 2.

https://entertainment-focus.com/2020/02/05/star-trek-picards-success-demonstrates-the-next-generations-enduring-popularity/

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/star-trek-discovery-season-3-trailer-picard-season-2-release-date
Lower Decks is an attempt at cashing in on a new concept that was often debated in the fandom (kudos for that), while at the same time capturing the fans of The Orville via all the wrong means (Trek fans are largely not watching The Orville for the humor).
I tried to give the Orville a chance but its increasing serious killed what was a viable series.
They wouldn't try to make "Strange New Worlds", if all the other shows were disgusting successes. They'd make more of those instead.
We wouldn't make a spin off of DISCOVERY if Discovery was...successful? That's your argument.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:12 am
clearspira wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:11 pm
To show you how tastes vary, I'm ditching the Orville because of it. I'm not interested in Seth's attempts to do a serious science fiction show. I want to see a "slice of life in space" series because we've never seen that and the comedy elements were what made it interesting. The moment it became about protecting the galaxy from the Geth, I mean Kaylons, I realized this wasn't the show for me.

I admit I also realized that Ed and Kelly were MEANT TO BE when it was infinitely more interesting that it was two people who dind't work and had to get along post-divorce.

Ehhhh, Season ending cliffhanger my dude? Do we remember what show popularized the season-ending cliffhanger? Of course Seth was going to do a season-ending cliffhanger. I doubt that means season 3 will be about fighting the robot threat, just like Season 4 wasn't "the season the Enterprise fought the Borg threat".

This one even comes with a big red undo button in the form of "time travel".

I admit I'm still rooting for Ed dying.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform