VOY - Displaced

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: VOY - Displaced

Post by clearspira »

Episodic storytelling generally does not allow for deep. That's why Babylon 5 and DS9 works so well as each episode is basically a chapter in one whole story. TOS, TNG, VOY and ENT pre-Xindi does not do that and suffers greatly when it comes to fleshing out the villain-of-the-week or the love-of-the-week.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

clearspira wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:05 pm Episodic storytelling generally does not allow for deep. That's why Babylon 5 and DS9 works so well as each episode is basically a chapter in one whole story. TOS, TNG, VOY and ENT pre-Xindi does not do that and suffers greatly when it comes to fleshing out the villain-of-the-week or the love-of-the-week.
But it a double edge sword I must say, remember the Netflix marvel shows did that and half of them are kinda unbearable for it.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

I look forward to Chuck one day covering "Survival Instinct", as it's the only VOY episode Ron Moore penned and is kind of interesting to see how he tried handle the characters. There's a small moment where Paris and Kim are brought into Janeway's office that I always dug. It was likely added in to fill time, but it was nice to see the characters behaving like people, which is what DS9 excelled at. It's also the only time we see Voyager docked at a space station, as if to try to make up for why the ship was always in top condition, it was able to dock somewhere and be repaired!

JANEWAY: A friendly game?
(Paris has a black eye.)
PARIS: Well, that's how it started.
(Kim has a cut lip.)
JANEWAY: I see. Perhaps you could explain to me how this friendly game turned into a street brawl?
PARIS: Well, Harry and I wanted to explore the station. We wanted to broaden our understanding of alien cultures and, er
JANEWAY: Skip the recruiting speech. You were looking for a bar. Then what?
KIM: Well, we found one, and we met a pair of Kinbori who told us about this game they play with these big, odd-looking rackets.
JANEWAY: You mean one of those?
BOTH: Yeah!

Funnily, that very moment is shown in Chuck's video intro to VOY, with Paris and Kim looking back at the rackets. Still, all these years, this ep has never been covered.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

clearspira wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:05 pm Episodic storytelling generally does not allow for deep. That's why Babylon 5 and DS9 works so well as each episode is basically a chapter in one whole story. TOS, TNG, VOY and ENT pre-Xindi does not do that and suffers greatly when it comes to fleshing out the villain-of-the-week or the love-of-the-week.
There's a reason why they don't fare well though.
..What mirror universe? ;/
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:46 pm
But it a double edge sword I must say, remember the Netflix marvel shows did that and half of them are kinda unbearable for it.
Their phase 1 was overall really strong through.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:24 pm
That is until iron fist attack.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:06 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:24 pm
That is until iron fist attack.
Yeah but this was a rare case where the interconnectivity within the individual show seasons outshined the team-up event. I like watching these shows knowing it's in the same universe a bit more than I like each MCU movie compared to The Avengers.

The shows are tonally different, but It really does feel like 13 seasons of one show almost. Not that the stories are really written that cohesively, but just the way they put in the connective pieces.
9ansean
Officer

Post by 9ansean »

The M0vie Blog review for this episode was rather scathing, with claims to a racist message that goes against the core themes of Star Trek. He argues that it reads like a paranoid fantasy about how immigrants are going to take us over if we let them. He makes a rather interesting case, but personally I don't quite buy it.

Mostly I find it worth reading for how it's opening explores this question: To what extent can the franchise truly be called liberal or conservative?

https://them0vieblog.com/2016/12/19/sta ... ed-review/
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

9ansean wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:50 am The M0vie Blog review for this episode was rather scathing, with claims to a racist message that goes against the core themes of Star Trek. He argues that it reads like a paranoid fantasy about how immigrants are going to take us over if we let them. He makes a rather interesting case, but personally I don't quite buy it.

Mostly I find it worth reading for how it's opening explores this question: To what extent can the franchise truly be called liberal or conservative?

https://them0vieblog.com/2016/12/19/sta ... ed-review/
As for Star Trek being liberal or conservative, I would say that Star Trek is both. For example, according to Nichelle Nichols, Martin Luther King himself came up to her and praised Uhura as an inspiration for black women everywhere. You can't get much higher a commendation on race relations in the 1960s than MLK lets be honest. However she is a secretary in a miniskirt who gets to play in the big seat only when the men aren't around - or in other words - what millions of liberals would call a stereotypical conservative fantasy woman. And this btw is not ''looking at her with 21st century eyes'', Nichelle Nichols herself thought this about the character which is WHY MLK was talking to her in the first place as she was threatening to quit the show.

It amuses me that when they came to update Uhura for the reboot they made her a nagging shrew who interrupts missions to talk about her relationship and is actually a bit of a violent bitch. Is that liberalism? Is that what 50 years of feminism has led us? An Uhura who in many ways is far less professional than one made in the 1960s?

Then there is Voyager. Its liberal as it has a female captain back when that was actually something rare, and yet it also has Seven of Nine who wore one of the most infamously and shamelessly sexist outfits in the history of television. And I will only deem that to be an unfair description when you find me a man wearing that outfit complete with padded crotch.

I would say the most conservative Trek ever got was probably Enterprise. Archer was a straw liberal living in a world where his hot science officer and hot communications officer routinely stripped down to their underwear.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Yeah.