TOS: A Taste of Armageddon

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: TOS: A Taste of Armageddon

Post by Madner Kami »

MaxWylde wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:07 am[...] in spite of the Vietnam War going on at the time, and the subsequent Korean Conflict [...]
*queue joke about the american education-system* :P ;)
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Riedquat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:24 pm There are an endless number of motivations and causes but the purpose is inevitably to get what you want (whatever that happens to be)
That's true of all human actions. We're not here to discuss the nature of desire and instrumentality.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:39 pm Except "Better dead than Red" is not about a loss of face, it was not accepting a totalitarian ideology and the loss of liberty that entails.
I've got news for you: in modern 'democratic' societies, the populace only has as much liberty as the government wants them to have, and no more.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Frustration wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:42 pm
Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:39 pm Except "Better dead than Red" is not about a loss of face, it was not accepting a totalitarian ideology and the loss of liberty that entails.
I've got news for you: in modern 'democratic' societies, the populace only has as much liberty as the government wants them to have, and no more.
Covid has proven that. Regardless of what the ''truth'' behind it is, whether it came from a lab or is a purely natural event, China must be laughing their ass off at how quickly the liberal democracies of the West have resorted to totalitarian policies. Russia too for that matter. At least they're honest about it.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Frustration wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:36 pm
Riedquat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:24 pm There are an endless number of motivations and causes but the purpose is inevitably to get what you want (whatever that happens to be)
That's true of all human actions. We're not here to discuss the nature of desire and instrumentality.
We very much are, since they're the driving force of war. The discussion is really about why wage it rather than military technology, tactics, or strategy. Wars are fought as a means to an end to satisfy those motivations.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:48 pm
Covid has proven that. Regardless of what the ''truth'' behind it is, whether it came from a lab or is a purely natural event, China must be laughing their ass off at how quickly the liberal democracies of the West have resorted to totalitarian policies. Russia too for that matter. At least they're honest about it.
Oh please. Give me a break.
I got nothing to say here.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

McAvoy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:24 am
OK, i'll let you give me your side as to why I am wrong by asking you two questions: Austria mandating that ALL of its citizens MUST have the vaccine. Is that liberal or not liberal?

Next question: Could you have imagined a Western democracy two years ago doing this?
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

We already had mandates that children must receive certain vaccines before they can attend school.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:20 am
McAvoy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:24 am
OK, i'll let you give me your side as to why I am wrong by asking you two questions: Austria mandating that ALL of its citizens MUST have the vaccine. Is that liberal or not liberal?

Next question: Could you have imagined a Western democracy two years ago doing this?
First off that Austria. One country doesn't represent the world.

Second, children have been mandated to get vacinnes for school for years. Before Covid even Trump was looking to increased vaccinations.

So let me ask you this, what is the difference from three years ago when we were forcing children to get vaccinations on many different diseases?
I got nothing to say here.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Fianna wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:34 pm We already had mandates that children must receive certain vaccines before they can attend school.
And children don't have to attend schools. They can be homeschooled instead.

You don't need to pass a driving exam, purchase driving insurance, and get a license to drive, at least in America. Those things are required only for public roads. There aren't enough private roads to go anywhere, but no one but their owners are restricting driving on them.