Legend of Korra: Spirits

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Wilahelm2
Redshirt

Re: Legend of Korra: Spirits

Post by Wilahelm2 »

Fair enough.

Suyin was fine in season 3 and I liked her and her fight with P'li was awesome. Her actions in season 4 however just made her come off as arrogant, unreasonable, selfish, and petty. It says a lot when I find the iron fisted dictator with a giant robot armed with a death ray to be the more sympathetic character.

Su's main issue, at least to me, is her self centered view of the world and lack of ability to take any responsibility for her mistakes. She wants to do her own thing and doesn't really care if this upsets or hurts others. Now Su is not a cruel person so she don't try to hurt others but its pretty clear the opinions and suffering of other people falls into the "its not my problem" category for her. When bad thing do happen either to Su or others she never accepts that might be her own fault that its happened, she always finds someone else to blame.

Its the same flaw her mother Toph had. Toph had the rest of the Avatar gang to balance her out and help her become a more considerate person (to a point). Unfortunately her poor parenting left Suyin to grow up without any real challenge to this mind set so for her these traits just got worse.
Darmani
Officer

Post by Darmani »

Sorry. but I find the dumping on Mako in and in the narrative AND by Chuck excessive at this point. As of the first episode actually being somehting OTHER than a bad boy image I was okay with him. While there is stuff missing from his character ragging on him doesn't put it back in.

And I'm sorry but he was publically ABUSED by his superior girlfriend. A victim of female mistreatment isn't *funny* to me when the narrative and fandom treat him as "deserving it" when ONE chances are the thing they hate are really meta stuff that he had no control over and are seperate from his character.

Just the way he's been handling himself and struggling outside of his comfort zone and engaging and struggling for something that seems more than "physically fit but not threatening the leads worth" did it for me.

Later on they will make his avoidant character trait MORE of a flaw and an issue.

Sorry but I don't hate Mako. I didn't hate hate him first season. He's genuine walking talking monkey's paw wished by fans and now people want to feel righteous decrying his existence when everything wrong about him was WORSE with their treatment (not the canon show's portrayal) of Zuko.

Also frankly Korra's reckless impatience...

Still SFDebris feel's fairer and less needlessly invective than E;R who can be suprisingly insightful if seems married to be an obnoxious jackass troll in rhetoric.
aceina
Officer

Post by aceina »

the issue with mako and to a lesser degree bolin is they never have a purpose in the story not really

bolin at least gets something in books 3 and 4 mako he is always just there
Wilahelm2
Redshirt

Post by Wilahelm2 »

Like I said before in book 2 everyone ends up looking like a jerk (except Asami). Mako and Korra both come off looking bad after the break up and the truth is they are both to blame for the relationship tanking.

As far as the issue behind Mako and Bolin in the story is part of LoK main flaw. The creators were never sure how much time they had to tell their story so could never properly plan out arks for all the characters like they did with ATLA. Because of this and the larger cast Korra has compared to its predecessor some characters ended up not getting as much development.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

@Darmani

I think one of the biggest problems with Mako is, he has flaws, but he never works to over come them. If there's' something he wants he gets it without having earned it. Think about it, he gets the money he needs thanks to Asami being a fan of his, he gets a new home after losing his old one, he breaks up with Asami with little to no argument so he can be with Korra and he solves the case in The Sting by just being in the right place at the right time instead of through any real detective work.

In contrast, Korra and Asami have to earn what they seek, whether its Korra overcoming her running in half cocked or Asami facing her fears of losing everything while still trying to hold on to her own personal morals and doing what is right even when it costs her everything. Now in Mako's defense I do like his first few scenes in Change as I think he is feeling guilty for how he treated both Korra and Asami in the finally of Spirits. Its well acted and unlike the last two seasons we see Karma catching up with Mako. However, after Rebirth Mako barely speaks to Korra and then we get to the Ultimatum where Korra hugs him to show that they are over their issues despite the fact that, again, they barely spoke to each other.

However, as Chuck would say, if you like Mako that's great and I hope I didn't come off as rude with this comment.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I honestly feel like Mako was poorly written in an attempt to make Korra and other characters look better by default, much in the same way characters on ENT were written poorly in an attempt to make Archer look better by default. I'm honestly stunned by how Mako was treated - first he was objectified and then once he'd been "won," his significant other constantly hurled abuse at him. Just think if they were gender-flipped, how that would be seen. Kind of like how Trip was raped in "Unexpected" but most fans seem to want to gloss that over.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
aceina
Officer

Post by aceina »

i do look forward to when he does book 4 i expect him to go on long ramble about how asami has earned her happy ending she gets

and she does earn it and so does korra to just asami earned one more than any one when looking for korra after the explosion asami loos just done
Edvarius
Officer

Post by Edvarius »

aceina wrote:after the explosion asami loos just done
Um... not quite sure what you're saying here. Asami's loo explodes? Sounds like something that could probably be blamed on Verrick.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

Edvarius wrote:
aceina wrote:after the explosion asami loos just done
Um... not quite sure what you're saying here. Asami's loo explodes? Sounds like something that could probably be blamed on Verrick.
I believe aceina meant "looks". "Asami looks done" after the "explosion" (Presumably the atomic-style detonation of the spirit gun in "the Last Stand")
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

Also I'm going to make a new thread for LoK that will be marked for spoilers. This thread should be about the reviewed episodes of Book 2, and comments about Book 1. Unless requested, I'll leave the posts that have been whited out since they're spoiler safe, but the three that weren';t were transferred to the new Series thread.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!