Star Trek: Into Darkness

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Into Darkness

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:16 pmI was also thinking about how Vulcan fits in really nicely as the pacifist hat of the federation. You think Starfleet would have ever come up with the prime directive without Vulcan? I don't.

What's the deal with the early Romulan bloodline reveal?
Well, the Federation doesn't understand that the Romulans and Vulcans are one people divided by culture not biology until Captain Kirk saw it in "Balance of Terror." It's why Romulans never showed up on-screen in Enterprise because it's a major reveal that one of the traditional enemies of the Federation is a break-off of a founding culture. Nero, however, is planning to wipe out Vulcan so he doesn't care about revealing the truth of the Romulan race to the Federation and utterly screwing with time/space relations.

So the Federation learns it at the Kelvin.

It probably caused the Vulcans some surprise too.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:47 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:16 pmI was also thinking about how Vulcan fits in really nicely as the pacifist hat of the federation. You think Starfleet would have ever come up with the prime directive without Vulcan? I don't.

Well, the Federation doesn't understand that the Romulans and Vulcans are one people divided by culture not biology until Captain Kirk saw it in "Balance of Terror." It's why Romulans never showed up on-screen in Enterprise because it's a major reveal that one of the traditional enemies of the Federation is a break-off of a founding culture. Nero, however, is planning to wipe out Vulcan so he doesn't care about revealing the truth of the Romulan race to the Federation and utterly screwing with time/space relations.

Yeah but did they know Nero was Romulan or something?
Power laces... alright.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:48 am

Well, he identified himself as Romulan and was coming from Romulan space. It seems like a helluva lucky guess.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:01 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:48 am

Well, he identified himself as Romulan and was coming from Romulan space. It seems like a helluva lucky guess.
So what you're saying is he violated the terms surrounding the neutral zone?
Power laces... alright.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:31 pm By Into Darkness, his planet got blown up.
And yet he was already much different than he was in TOS even by that point. He went from "inside, your human side was crying" to wailing on those Vulcan kids that were bullying him, which made his later examples of doing the same thing entirely consistent with that. And that was long before his planet got destroyed. They took an aspect of what made his character popular and just plain ignored it. Which is a shame, because the actor really would have done well as Spock if given the chance, IMO.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Admiral X wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:49 am And yet he was already much different than he was in TOS even by that point. He went from "inside, your human side was crying" to wailing on those Vulcan kids that were bullying him, which made his later examples of doing the same thing entirely consistent with that. And that was long before his planet got destroyed. They took an aspect of what made his character popular and just plain ignored it. Which is a shame, because the actor really would have done well as Spock if given the chance, IMO.
The Spock from the Pike era was much more overtly emotional. At the very least this Spock is decades younger. We also know that he DID refuse to go to the Vulcan Science Academy and frankly, I think it was probably for the exact reasons Quinto Spock gave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:16 am
Admiral X wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:49 am And yet he was already much different than he was in TOS even by that point. He went from "inside, your human side was crying" to wailing on those Vulcan kids that were bullying him, which made his later examples of doing the same thing entirely consistent with that. And that was long before his planet got destroyed. They took an aspect of what made his character popular and just plain ignored it. Which is a shame, because the actor really would have done well as Spock if given the chance, IMO.
The Spock from the Pike era was much more overtly emotional. At the very least this Spock is decades younger. We also know that he DID refuse to go to the Vulcan Science Academy and frankly, I think it was probably for the exact reasons Quinto Spock gave.
I thought in TOS he said it was because Vulcan would never see him as a Vulcan, whereon Earth that's exactly what they'd do.
Power laces... alright.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:21 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:16 am
I thought in TOS he said it was because Vulcan would never see him as a Vulcan, whereon Earth that's exactly what they'd do.
I don't recall that. Mind you, in Amock Time it's said not only is Spock a Vulcan but he's considered the greatest Vulcan of his generation. So much so his fiance is terrified of marrying him.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Well it might have been spoken in the SfD '09 review. That's only place I think I'd confuse it for though.
Power laces... alright.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:24 am I don't recall that. Mind you, in Amock Time it's said not only is Spock a Vulcan but he's considered the greatest Vulcan of his generation. So much so his fiance is terrified of marrying him.
Sure, but that was AFTER Spock had been in Starfleet for two decades and had many many exploits to his name that had been a majorly positive representation of their entire race. Not when he was just a half human teenager considering going to school.