Anime: Mobile Suit Gundam

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
chaos42
Officer

Re: Anime: Mobile Suit Gundam

Post by chaos42 »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:30 am
chaos42 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:01 am
cloudkitt wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:45 pm Glad to see him doing more Gundam, though I've never seen the original. I've never had any problem with him doing anime at all, but I did prefer when he has covered ones that hew closer to science fiction. Bebop, Gundam, Eva, etc. Escaflowne is close enough, as would Trigun be, I think, though it takes awhile to get to those elements.

Anyway, as I said I've never seen the original (or the movie version), and I'm amazed at just how similar SEED really is. I'd heard of course that it was "basically a remake," but I guess I always kinda figured that was mostly referring to the Coordinator/NewType thing. But the whole premise is very nearly identical, haha. Hopefully the characters are less insufferable though.
I'm one of those mainstream kids that first saw Gundam Wing and maintain my softest spot for it, so I'm sure the hardcore Gundam fans don't care what I have to say :P
gundam seed is and isn't a remake its in the middle. It takes its ques from the original but it isn't just that, other gundam series inspire it and improve it. Plus it takes some of the undertones and elements and makes them things that are more commonly identifiable today.

First the main reason for the entire conflict is because a large portion of the federation are prejudice against the people in the plants (space colonies) because they are genetically engineered. Then some racist elements nuke an agricultural colony and this war starts. and the feds don't realize that while they have numbers the plants have better tech that makes up the biggest difference just like in the original series. the structure of the story continues similar to the original but having the character athrun who is one of 2 char clones in this series be the best friend of the main character kira and them not actually wanting to fight each other but are force to by out side factors. plus the resolution at one point that the people we have been following is that of the two side fighting this war neither is right and their both wrong.
I've never seen anyone speak so positively of Seed before.
im not saying its perfect but it is enjoyable if we take it for what it is a modernization of the original. A lot of stories are products of their time and things don't always make as much sense. Take star trek a lot of the future tech we have now is based on ideas in next gen but it makes the original series look primitive by todays standards. we have touch screens and various things that the original st:o could not have conceived. The same is true of gundam ideas are though up through out the series like the panoramic screens or other ideas. many are retroactively added like in 0080 or others, and the thing i dislike people always saying is its all bad, are there bad things in it, oh god yes i hate some things in it that waste time, but there was also things like the first season of tng or other things in some of my favorite series that piss me off that get turned into movies or tv series, the most recent is fate/stay night heaven's feel -i hate the heavens feel arc because its the complete reverse of the other 2 parts but then again that was the point, i don't like it but i accept it as part of the series because its just one part not the whole thing.

Personally id like to see him review the 3 seed movies and compare them. Because a lot of tropes are in seed that you don't see in the original mid season upgrade robot (strike to freedom gundam) elite mook team that replace the previous one. Neither side being right, and each time one side lashes back at the other in retaliation the ones retaliated against use it as justification of their own and so on in a needless cycle of people not knowing when its time to sit down and stop trying to get even.
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

There's a line in this series that made me actually laugh because it's kinda stupid but also appropriate of the old saying "those who don't learn history are doomed to repeat it"

Degwin Zabi, that's the head supreme leader guy, asked his son Gihren, that's the guy whom Chuck commented as sounding like a NAZI, did he know who Hitler was and Gihren honestly say he does not.

It's like if someone asked Hitler did he know who Napoleon was.
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Chaos Sepher wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:19 pm So how is the name Char pronounced? Chuck pronounces it as in "charred broiled" but I have always heard it, at least in the English dub, as "Sh-are".
If so I find that funny since Char, pronouced that way is French for tank.
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

Chaos Sepher wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:19 pmSo how is the name Char pronounced? Chuck pronounces it as in "charred broiled" but I have always heard it, at least in the English dub, as "Sh-are".
According to the Japanese spelling, "Char Aznable (シャア・アズナブル Shā Azunaburu)". So it's "Shaar" with the r being dropped from the original pronunciation due to relative lack of word-ending consonant support.
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

I'm rather surprised that Chuck didn't watch this in English dubbed.

I remember a scene where Char warned his pilot on an infiltration mission to not speak because his Zeon accent will give him away and when the pilot said "ok", he spoke it with a hard Canadian accent
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I should note that there's multiple canons because Tomino happily tinkers with his work. I actually read the novels he wrote which were a much more hard-science fiction take on Gundam as well as much more depressing (Amuro dies, Char takes over Zeon and makes it a tinpot dictatorship--just peaceful with EF, and everyone starts as cadets).
K.E. Schwartze
Redshirt

Post by K.E. Schwartze »

SabreMau wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:18 pm
Chaos Sepher wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:19 pmSo how is the name Char pronounced? Chuck pronounces it as in "charred broiled" but I have always heard it, at least in the English dub, as "Sh-are".
According to the Japanese spelling, "Char Aznable (シャア・アズナブル Shā Azunaburu)". So it's "Shaar" with the r being dropped from the original pronunciation due to relative lack of word-ending consonant support.
Yes, but he's named after a Frenchman named Charles (and in French that's a "soft" C). "Shah" is pretty accurate phonetically (Char would also fit, these sort of katakana issues happen all the time). Best would be something like sha-rl (approximate French pronunciation of "Charles"), but good luck finding a Japanese person who could do that. I tend to use Shar (soft CH) but really there's no easy solution. Japanese phonetics are very logical, but extremely limited (about half the sounds of English and exactly one word-ending consonant).
Chaos Sepher
Officer

Post by Chaos Sepher »

excalibur wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:24 am I'm rather surprised that Chuck didn't watch this in English dubbed.

I remember a scene where Char warned his pilot on an infiltration mission to not speak because his Zeon accent will give him away and when the pilot said "ok", he spoke it with a hard Canadian accent
Yeah I was surprised he was watching the Japanese Sub with this one too.
Deukish
Redshirt

Post by Deukish »

K.E. Schwartze wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:30 pm Yes, but he's named after a Frenchman named Charles
Specifically the French singer Charles Aznavour.
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

SMAXZO wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:10 pm
Archon_Wing wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:54 am Down to defending with sasuages and nobody can shoot Char.

Poor dumb Amuro? Well, not really yet, maybe if we get to Zeta.... I do like the discussion about war, since Gundam does often go into these themes in a pretty riveting fashion. Well, at least until Tomino goes crazy again (and that's a lot)
Don't you know, Char's pink space suit gives him +70% to his evasion stat.
Abridged!Char: "Everyone, get behind me; they can't hit me if I'm pink."
Abridged!Federation Soldier: "I can't hit him! The pink is throwing off my aim!"

Possibly unrelated: LLENN from SAO Alternative: Gun Gale Online