Battlestar Galactica: Saga of a Star World

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Re: Battlestar Galactica: Saga of a Star World

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

Beastro wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:18 am I too also didn't like the reboot from the start given how much was changed and dropped form the original. what annoyed me the most was when it came to the human Cylons, the grimdark angle that I loath has been so influential and imitated since then and the stereotypical things nonetheless kept in like martial law being establish and then Adama giving into Roslin that annoyed me given their situation just as badly as the same tripe being repeated in its own way on the Walking Dead.
The grimdark makes sense for this series though, given that it's the apocalypse. I think more than anything else, BSG is a look at grief, trauma, and how humans as individuals and collectively react to tragedy. And frankly, I think a good number of people's complaints about the show can be answered simply by looking at the reality of their situation and just how damaged these people are. The cataclysmic event serves to ultimately produce and showcase the best and worst that they have to offer- from unrepentant brutality to forgiveness of criminals who don't at all deserve it.

Obviously, we don't know how people would actually react in that situation since, to the best of my knowledge, humanity has never been almost annihilated by robots of their own creation, but a lot of what the show presents on that front rings true for me. Not many shows on television seem to get that these wounds don't just go away.

They didn't do everything perfectly, obviously, but I love that Ron Moore and company actually went after it and tried to communicate something artistically meaningful. Sometimes this was at the expense of plot or even common sense, but I'd give extra credit for the effort. By comparison the original is just a fun diversion, and there's nothing wrong with that.
bronnt wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:12 am In terms of tone and theme, the reimagined series is beautifully done up until the finale (where it craps out). The plot often fell apart as they seemed to run out of stories to tell within the fleet and shifted their focus to the Cylons, where they were often missing the implication that these characters aren't that sympathetic when they've already been a party to genocide.
That's a good point, and I think it helps explain some of the wildly disparate opinions people have on the show. In some ways I'd liken old-BSG vs. nu-BSG to the relationship between The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. TFA is straight-laced, fulfills the expectations of the audience for a fun space adventure, and generally wouldn't be seen as a triumph of thematic or dramatic storytelling.

The Last Jedi is far more ambitious and draws from identifiable storytelling and philosophical traditions to communicate something that Rian Johnson thought was worth exploring. The Last Jedi is idea and theme driven, and as a result some of story mechanics and plot devices used are pretty weak. How much does this weaken the movie? It depends on how you judge it.

Reimagined BSG is kind of the same way. The first couple of seasons find a great balance and manage to integrate theme and plot almost seamlessly, with the story evolving organically while the writers manage to communicate what they want to say. Later on, good plotting is sometimes sacrificed for the sake of theme. How harshly you judge this depends on what your priorities are. Sometimes I think detail-oriented nerdy circles are probably the people most likely to have a problem with poor plots, while the reaction from critical circles (or "prestige tv" fans) might be more positive.
The owls are not what they seem.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

I don't have a big problem with theme coming before plot. However, theme coming before character, as it sometimes did on the BSG remake? That's a different kettle of fish.
griffeytrek
Officer

Post by griffeytrek »

Fianna wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:47 am If I were to purchase some (but not all) of the classic BSG episodes off of iTunes, which ones would you say I should definitely check out, and which ones I can safely skip?
Saga of a Star World and the immediate follow up Lost Planet of the Gods 1 and 2 are definitely on the must see list. The series propper doesn't start until the end of Lost Planet of the Gods. You can take Saga of a Star World and Lost Planet of the Gods together as a single miniseries. The Living Legend part 1 & 2 is probably the series absolute high point. The Hand of God, which turned out to be the series finale I would also put on the must see list. Just for a somewhat clever ending.

Of other noteworthy episodes? Gun on Ice PLanet Zero 1 & 2 is good cheesy 70's SF fun. The Lost Warrior is incredibly cheesy, but oddly compelling in its 1 man 1 Cylon story. Fire in Space might be the episode that much of nuGalactica draws the most directly from in terms of tone and feel and story elements. War of the Gods 1&2, Greetings from Earth, and Experiment in Terra are important to the series overall. But are not the shows high points.

Safely skip? A harder choice as memory is fuzzy on some of the more marginal episodes. I remember always hating The Young Lords, Take the Celestra and The Man with 9 Lives. Your affinity for them will depend on how much of a Starbuck fan you are.

Galactica 1980 is overall amazingly bad. Unbelievably bad. Like Saturday Morning Filmation live action bad. But 1 episode is worth watching. The last one. "The Return of Starbuck". Which is in many ways the finale to the War of the Gods story arc. Weirdly the one thing Galactica 1980 gave to nuGalactica was the idea of "Human Cylons".
Eishtmo
Officer

Post by Eishtmo »

griffeytrek wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:07 pm Galactica 1980
That doesn't exist.
griffeytrek
Officer

Post by griffeytrek »

Eishtmo wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:20 pm
That doesn't exist.
Sadly you can't paper over a turd quite that big and smelly. No matter how hard you try. The smell eventually outs it.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

griffeytrek wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:44 am
Eishtmo wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:20 pm
That doesn't exist.
Sadly you can't paper over a turd quite that big and smelly. No matter how hard you try. The smell eventually outs it.
I literally flashed to this story of a mother who killed a daughter and hid her body in a closet and always kept fragrance in the room to hide the smell for like, years.

"Officer, arrest this man for the murder of Battlestar Galactica!" xD
ORCACommander
Officer

Post by ORCACommander »

its been to long since i seriously sat down and watched nBSG, I have only seen scattered episodes of oBSG so i will refrain from commenting on it.

I am firmly in the camp of the first two seasons being great and the 3 and 4 need rewrites or are write offs. Roslin's frustrating incompetence and descent into religion she knew to be sham. The cult of baltar and the now lets ram religious commentary down your throats were like the pulling of finger nails. the final five felt exceptionally forced but was ultimately not harmful imo. wth did they go with the whole occupation angle and wouldn't the blinding of Saul reveal his cylon nature? What really killed the series enough for me to stop watching it I admit is very personal.

D's suicide. the actress who plays D had a strong resemblance to my girlfriend at the time. She was likable, intelligent and managed to stay above the shit around her and then she shot her brains out out of no where. I know in real life people just snap like that, but that is not how it works on camera. it needs to be telegraphed. Maybe i missed it in the rest of the bullshit the series was indulging in at this point but it hit me real hard and apart from the mini series I haven't managed to come back
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

Starbug wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:35 am
SFDebris wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:17 amYeah. What happened was that I slipped up, as I was already past deadline in getting the work done, so I wrote off this and another error at the time, planning to fix both later for when the public release happened. The one was an editing glitch, no problem there, but I couldn't re-record as I had originally planned, so it had to go out as it was and hope no one noticed. So much for that. :)
This is the Internet: we have professional nit-pickers :geek:
Yeah, Chuck must be awfully sick, delusional really, if he thought that was going to get by. :P
Last edited by Mickey_Rat15 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

I remember sitting down to watch this when I was a kid when it first aired. My dad had promised I could stay up to watch the whole movie, I was buzzing with aniticipation. Then President Carter went and announced the Camp David peace accords between Israel and Egypt and the news interrupted the broadcast before the end for what seemed an eternity. I was a truly PO'ed 9 year old. I had the novelization, and they had kept the Cylons as what were described as the robot's progenitor species in the show. Because of that Baltar's saving throw epilogue seems even more tacked on, but what makes a better villian than Colicos chewing scenery?

A lot of plot points from this series were picked up and tweaked by the '04 version. Including the navigating the nova field. I never quite understood the objection to the religious elements or how it ended. It was all in the original series.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

I didn't really have a problem with any of the religious themes in the re-imagined series. My only issue was that it was often a cop-out: We're going to pull random plot twists out of our ass and just say "God did it." It's not interesting.

For instance, they decided to pretend they were killing off Starbuck. It was ridiculously telegraphed since the very episode in which they killed her off they set up a character arc for her. We know she's not actually dead because you foreshadowed the hell out of her coming back. It still was really awesome when she showed back up to "All Along the Watchtower," but that was all style and no substance. There was not a carefully plotted idea for how the whole sequence of death and resurrection played into the story. So when the series ends, all we get is "well God brought her back and she was kinda like an angel or something." It's making the viewers ask a ton of questions and then giving them a massive shrug in response.

It actually created more problems than just not killing her off. You can have her get lost-maybe she wanders through a wormhole and there's no hope we'll ever see her again, but somehow she manages to find a way back to the fleet. You can still have your religious angle, but you can try to have some logic behind things happening that's not just magic.

Same issue with the "opera house" vision. It's been a part of the series for over two years, so whatever it means, it's going to have huge implications. It's probably symbolic of some major defining change. Except, it's not. Baltar literally picks up a girl and walks through a door, and it does literally nothing to change the situation they're in. So why even have a vision of that? It's inserting magic for no reason, and pretending that it means something awesome and epic, when it's just another massive shrug.