VOY: Mortal Coil Review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Mortal Coil Review

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:23 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:11 am I noticed that the title of the thread is now VOY - Mortal Coil Review instead of just Mortal Coil Review.

What's the story behind that?
Once upon a time it was suggested I change it. And we all lived happily ever after.

Except Chuck, I mean, he still has nearly half of TNG season one and a ton of bad episodes left to go through so he's not completely happy.
I was running through dS9 and I noticed quite a bit of space between reviewed episodes tbh.

Anyways, who was it that suggested you change it? Don't make me go through 3 pages of spoilery content.
..What mirror universe?
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:45 am
I was running through dS9 and I noticed quite a bit of space between reviewed episodes tbh.

Anyways, who was it that suggested you change it? Don't make me go through 3 pages of spoilery content.
Jonathan101. The second comment below the my original post.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: VOY: Mortal Coil Review

Post by Yukaphile »

@FaxModem1 So Neelix is so awful, he doesn't get an afterlife? Well, I guess Fuller's nihilism failed then, considering that's actually kind of optimistic. Wait... Fuller? Bryan Fuller? The dude working on STD now? Oh lords, no wonder it's so awful...
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:50 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:45 am

Jonathan101. The second comment below the my original post.
Oh I only looked at the last two posts before the change, not considering the time lapse that it probably took for you to notice.
..What mirror universe?
LavarosVA
Officer

Post by LavarosVA »

FaxModem1 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:23 am
Yukaphile wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:44 am I don't know if this was brought up earlier in the thread, but... isn't this more of Voyager's retcons and contradictions? I mean, Spock made it clear when he was dead that something happened to him. And yet, Neelix confirms there's nothing, so... what the hell?
If that trips you up, just think about the fact that Torres experienced the afterlife a couple of seasons later, even talked to her mother there, while Neelix experienced nothing. Take that as you will.
You could take it as neither heaven nor hell wants anything to do with Neelix.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

My take was truly horrible people have nothing waiting for them, just cessation of existence, which is something I'd deeply love to happen in reality.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

I remember liking the episode. Yes so ridiculous stuff happens, I'm used to it. And while the reviews have lowered my opinion of Neelix further, he's really not bad all the time. He does some stupid stuff and the jealousy and Basics stuff was terrible, but especially later on, without Kes, he was pretty good.

But it has been years since I've seen it. For that matter it's been years since I've watch Star Trek in general outside YouTube clips and his reviews.
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:44 am I don't know if this was brought up earlier in the thread, but... isn't this more of Voyager's retcons and contradictions? I mean, Spock made it clear when he was dead that something happened to him. And yet, Neelix confirms there's nothing, so... what the hell?
All Neelix (or the viewer) actually knows is that he doesn't remember anything. As Chuck pointed out, there's any number of possible explanations for that. With the amount of time travel different characters do, Q and other super-powerful beings running around, and other characters having more hopeful near death experiences, you wouldn't think Neelix would have to totally give up hope. But this episode isn't making a case for or against Neelix's great forest, it's about exploring Neelix the character.

This episode also makes me think about what a cop out Endgame is dramatically. Putting how annoying the character of Neelix is aside, why does Janeway get a do-over? As if someone as broken as Neelix wouldn't do anything to go back to when his family was alive.
The owls are not what they seem.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:53 am @FaxModem1 So Neelix is so awful, he doesn't get an afterlife? Well, I guess Fuller's nihilism failed then, considering that's actually kind of optimistic. Wait... Fuller? Bryan Fuller? The dude working on STD now? Oh lords, no wonder it's so awful...
You should watch his other work, such as Dead Like Me, Hannibal, and Pushing Daisies. The man has an interesting obsession with death in his work, but it adds to his charm.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

LavarosVA wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:20 am
FaxModem1 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:23 am
If that trips you up, just think about the fact that Torres experienced the afterlife a couple of seasons later, even talked to her mother there, while Neelix experienced nothing. Take that as you will.
You could take it as neither heaven nor hell wants anything to do with Neelix.

That is a possibility, yes.