TNG - "Heart of Glory"

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: TNG - "Heart of Glory"

Post by Deledrius »

zardox78 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:20 am The whole visor scene just makes you wonder, if Picard was so curious to see what was going on during away missions, why not just have them sport a regular camera? Why was Geordi-vision the only option and why was this the only time they ever exercised that option? I know. Many, many episode plots depend on the people on the ship not knowing what's going on with the away mission. And at this point in the '80s, cameras weren't so small and plentiful, and it didn't seem at all odd that future-people wouldn't have one on them at all times... because why would they? It's just not a good idea to go around poking holes in your own show-logic like that.
It's stuff like this that makes the show feel like it was not written by futurists or experienced sci-fi thinkers. There wasn't a thought spent on extrapolating the kind of tech that even at the time should have been obvious would be commonplace if manufacturing was literally zero-cost and miniaturization was practically infinite. It's not even at the level of needing to be a visionary, just a few steps ahead of the direction that consumer goods were already going in 1987.

Even the non-networked PADDs I'd be willing to give them more slack for misusing (at least during S1 TNG... it's much harder to excuse by the end of DS9 and especially Voyager).

Hilariously (and I mean this in a very frustrating way), we now see the opposite problem cropping up with writers being so wedded to their cellphones and instant communication across the entire planet that they can't deal with the challenge of writing a story where people are separated by vast distances in space. Star Trek: Discovery and Star Wars now have magical psychic cellphones that undermine the entire fabric of their settings' physicality solely for dramatic convenience.
CMWaters
Officer

Re: TNG - "Heart of Glory"

Post by CMWaters »

PapaPalpatine wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:49 am I remembered that scene where they were assembling a weapon from the odd bits on their uniforms. Man, wouldn't it be awkward if one of them was like:

"Oh, sorry guys, I left the emitter heads in my other pants back on the ship."
Honestly, though we never see something like that used again, I imagine all Klingon uniforms of this time period have those pieces in them for such occassions...just that we never really see a need for it to be used. Closest I can think of for one that could have used it was Martok on the Dominion prison, but he didn't have a good enough target to hit.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special