TNG - Birthright

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
TGLS
Captain

Re: TNG - Birthright

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:35 pm Ai won't be evil if we treat it like we would a human rather than a slave.
"The giants won't be evil if we treat it like we would an ant rather than a monster"
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

TGLS wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:53 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:35 pm Ai won't be evil if we treat it like we would a human rather than a slave.
"The giants won't be evil if we treat it like we would an ant rather than a monster"
We have a simple choice, treat them like friends or treat them like shit. But in a war, forget the Hollywood happy ending, my money is on the machines. There is no possible scenario where we win.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

You all's perception of AI is way too anthropomorphized.

Guys, if the smartest thing ever decides to kill us... We've got it coming.
Instead of figuring out how to better enslave it, maybe we should all focus on not being dicks.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:20 pm You all's perception of AI is way too anthropomorphized.

Instead of figuring out how to better enslave it, maybe we should all focus on not being dicks.
We know that we have to stop being dicks. We also have thousands of years of history that prove that human beings will never stop being dicks. ''Focusing'' on that goal is no more going to achieve that goal than ludicrous feminists telling us to ''just teach men not to rape'' is going to stop rape.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:20 pm You all's perception of AI is way too anthropomorphized.

Better just not create it in the first place but I've little hope for that.

If we do create something intelligent enough that the word "enslave" becomes appropriate then it's not as if we could use it anyway, which renders the whole business rather pointless.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I think Chuck summed it up best, in that a new and untested AI would be completely alien to our way of thinking. To program it so precisely as to be able to be like us, but with all our positive qualities and none of the bad, well... would frankly mean that we'd understand everything there was to computer programming prior to building said AI, and we never will have all the answers. That's why there's so many unanswered questions once robots become the mainstream, once they technically cross the threshold into true "artificial intelligence." It could just be as simple as a natural evolution, only applied technologically rather than biologically, like we started out a billion years ago, as simple cells in a hellish ocean. As long as we don't make stupid mistakes, however, like creating robots uplinked to a central source, or putting it in charge of our weapons without several test trials, well, then we should be good, because we'll still have control over the existing power structures and hierarchies that make up our military and government. The tricky part is the "as long as we don't make stupid mistakes," because humans have never failed to impress historically in that regard.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

If customer service and retail makes people hate people I can only imagine what it would do to a sentient AI.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Robovski wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:39 am If customer service and retail makes people hate people I can only imagine what it would do to a sentient AI.
I personally liked customer service and retail. At least, I don't think customers in particular ever really dragged my spirits down.
Power laces... alright.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Shit, my faith in humanity was destroyed in 2015. Imagine how long it would take for a super-efficient, perfect, emotionless AI to write us off as a lost course and act "appropriately," however it deemed fit? That's what scares us so much. We fear they might be better, because deep down, they might be. They would certainly have many advantages over us, physically, mentally. And of course, I doubt robots off an assembly line would engage in the kind of petty behavior we do. On the other hand, there is also the potential for abuse there by them. Like I really don't think a machine power would care about ecosystem regulations, it would be whatever is best used to maximize resources in the most efficient way possible, even if it trashed the Earth. It would also be free of things like humanitarian restraints that keep us from experimenting into branches of science too quickly, because we'd be forced to compromise our principles. Honestly, a world ruled by machines is both humbling a thought as it is awe-inspiring...
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I'm actually more curious what there is to be said about Worf's plot. Dreams are cool and all, and Data's my favorite, and that was a nice piece said, and speculation on Worf might not be much. But yeah, looking forward to next video too.
Power laces... alright.