VOY: Extreme Risk Review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: VOY: Extreme Risk Review

Post by clearspira »

TheStarWarsTrek wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:38 am I mean, all the arguments against organic technology (can get sick or injured, needs food, ect) . . . they apply to the use of animals for transportation as well. And while a car is objectively better than a horse in most cases, we still sometimes use horses don't we?
There is nothing a horse can do that an all-terrain vehicle can't. And seemingly there is nothing that a bio-neural gel pack can do that an isolinier chip can't either.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

The consensus tends to favor natural food instead of replicated food though.
..What mirror universe?
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:55 pm The consensus tends to favor natural food instead of replicated food though.
We get that from some characters, but what is the majority from the Federation are really germ-phobic and prefer replicated food as safe and sanitary and never touched by hoo-man hands? "Ugh, that was grown in dirt!" and so forth.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Robovski wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:25 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:55 pm The consensus tends to favor natural food instead of replicated food though.
We get that from some characters, but what is the majority from the Federation are really germ-phobic and prefer replicated food as safe and sanitary and never touched by hoo-man hands? "Ugh, that was grown in dirt!" and so forth.
Well if we consider them some sort of random sample selection, then statistical science would probably be on my side. I think most characters that speculate on it says that it doesn't compare.
..What mirror universe?
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:42 am
Well if we consider them some sort of random sample selection, then statistical science would probably be on my side. I think most characters that speculate on it says that it doesn't compare.
To be frank, I'm mostly arguing the point here because work is dull right now, not that I feel it is some strong belief in what Federation citizens think about food. That said I can see it plausible that replicators once in general use could make for a complete divorce from natural grown food and what food is consumed generally by the populace, and further that there would be citizens who prefer the replicated food for various reasons. Additionally, our sample group from the shows is limited to people who are not typical citizens, but are generally Starfleet officers, who may be the type A personalities of this civilization. Once you have everything you need, most people occupy themselves with what they want to do.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Robovski wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:58 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:42 am
To be frank, I'm mostly arguing the point here because work is dull right now, not that I feel it is some strong belief in what Federation citizens think about food. That said I can see it plausible that replicators once in general use could make for a complete divorce from natural grown food and what food is consumed generally by the populace, and further that there would be citizens who prefer the replicated food for various reasons. Additionally, our sample group from the shows is limited to people who are not typical citizens, but are generally Starfleet officers, who may be the type A personalities of this civilization. Once you have everything you need, most people occupy themselves with what they want to do.
I agree that if there was a transition to replicated food then you could get by with a minimal loss of life.
..What mirror universe?
TheStarWarsTrek
Officer

Post by TheStarWarsTrek »

clearspira wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:28 pm
TheStarWarsTrek wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:38 am I mean, all the arguments against organic technology (can get sick or injured, needs food, ect) . . . they apply to the use of animals for transportation as well. And while a car is objectively better than a horse in most cases, we still sometimes use horses don't we?
There is nothing a horse can do that an all-terrain vehicle can't. And seemingly there is nothing that a bio-neural gel pack can do that an isolinier chip can't either.
And yet police horses are still used for crowd control and such. Obviously Voyager is a bad execution of the idea but that doesn't mean regular tech is always and inherently better than organic tech.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

clearspira wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:28 pm There is nothing a horse can do that an all-terrain vehicle can't. And seemingly there is nothing that a bio-neural gel pack can do that an isolinier chip can't either.
Can't eat the ATV in times of desperation. Also a horse is capable of traversing terrain which some ATVs can't, despite their name. Also, grass and the like are an easier-to-come-by fuel than gas.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Plus there's a lot that can be said about a man and his trusty steed.
..What mirror universe?
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Here's the main issue. The number of horses in the world skydived after World War 1. This was mostly due to the fact that automobiles, tanks, tractors, and other machines that horses did were done better by machines. At most, we have token amounts of horses nowadays used by ranchers, race courses, and the occasional hobbyist and horsebreeder. They are very much luxury items and the occasional fit, NOT standard items because cars are better. They don't need rest, don't get sick, don't have to be put down if one of their four limbs breaks, etc.

This is also why the buggywhip is no longer a competitive industry making hundreds, if not thousands of the things every year. Biological animals to ride aren't a necessity, it's an eccentricity done either by choice or by tradition. They really have no use in modern day except for those who just want to enjoy them.

It's the same reason some people have sailboats instead of those with motors. Pure aesthetic or hobby choice, not because it's superior to a motorized version in some capacity.

This is the same reason why Living ships in Scifi would have to fall under the same thing, a choice by the owners for the same reason that someone would want a car to be blue instead of red, purely for the appeal of it, not for any practical reason.