ENT - Terra Prime

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Nightbeat74
Officer

Re: ENT - Terra Prime

Post by Nightbeat74 »

yeah,like i said someones gonna think did TP kidnap that little baby! did they hurt the poor baby! that would be the first thing to come to my mind at lest. I think it would have been funny if the baby became something that people started to rally to save from TP. like a swat/maco team on mars busting in the doors of the fortress on the strong suspicion that well TP has a death ray so they must also be holding this baby hostage lets go a save a baby! or SHRAN pulling a big damn hero moment and cutting his way through TP on "live TV" to save a "pointy eared pinkskin" baby cuz he was in "the neighborhood" and wanted to help. now that would be a big blow to TP whole evil plan.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:35 pm
John B. Finch said, "The right to swing your fists ends where my nose begins."

Basically, whenever one speaks of tolerating or cultural relativism, there's this weird belief that it ends up allowing tolerance of other people's intolerance or that it prevents one from developing some universal standard of basic human rights.
Considering there is a push to legalize FGM in European countries at the behest of muslim minorities, or that in intersectional social justice, minorities cannot be racist no matter what they do or say even to other minorities...

it sure does seem that way.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

[citation needed]
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Star Trek is actually a pretty good vehicle for discussing how racism works in the real world. Humans are a bunch of nobodies in Enterprise. It's an island possession of the Vulcans that doesn't see itself that way but is effectively right up until it becomes more trouble than it's worth. In other planets, humans are a minority that can discriminated against or subject to barbaric cruel laws as outsiders. Same for any race that is a minority. Sulliban are terrorists on some worlds, horribly abused detainees and "normal" people on others.

But on Earth, at this moment, the Terra Prime folk are the evil bigots and should be treated as the piles of crap they are.

I only wish they'd gone less with discount Cerberus and more "soft power" wanting to isolate Earth and drive off minorities--which is much scarrier than the Death Star.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:35 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:50 pmBut some people who condemn white separatists might be sympathetic to black separatist groups. I didn't bring that up to be an asshole, and I'm not accusing you of that, but some people might cite "historical context" or "nuance" to justify it. For that matter, there are white separatists and black separatists who get along because they each want nothing to do with each other. :roll:

Every group has a reason that they feel justifies what they do, and which others might feel more or less sympathy for, and you can't stick a needle in many of these to get a reading on the MoralityMeter(tm) because we don't have a MoralityMeter(tm); you just have humans using squishy computers to do their best.
John B. Finch said, "The right to swing your fists ends where my nose begins."

Basically, whenever one speaks of tolerating or cultural relativism, there's this weird belief that it ends up allowing tolerance of other people's intolerance or that it prevents one from developing some universal standard of basic human rights. It's weird given this is a Star Trek review site (primarily) since that is kind of basic to the Federation. They are very accepting of the quirkiness of its members but draw the line immediately at when it includes human rights violations.

It was notably my Indian female history teacher, of all people, who taught a blistering condemnation of colonialism that said the British government was correct in their handling of sati (the burning of widows after the deaths of their husband). Quoting the letter regarding it, "The British government respects the custom of India to burn widows as long as India respects the custom of the British to hang the men who do."

Which is to say that lots of people believe they're doing the right thing and lots of people can believe the people who are doing the right thing are fucking assholes.
I said that someone can find some racial separatists sympathetic to some degree; I didn't ask you to reiterate your opinions.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

If you want to keep it in Star Trek - racial separatists should never be sympathetic THERE.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:02 am If you want to keep it in Star Trek - racial separatists should never be sympathetic THERE.
I was saying that some people could find some some racial separatists sympathetic. You are saying that, in your opinion, that doesn't belong in Star Trek.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:22 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:02 am If you want to keep it in Star Trek - racial separatists should never be sympathetic THERE.
I was saying that some people could find some some racial separatists sympathetic. You are saying that, in your opinion, that doesn't belong in Star Trek.
The only people that can find racial separatists sympathetic, are racists.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:09 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:22 am
The only people that can find racial separatists sympathetic, are racists.
Perhaps. I've seen a lot of excusing of hate on-line, of the "it's OK/understandable when we/they do it" type, though.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:25 am [citation needed]
https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=8969

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/leading-muslim-figure-ali-selim-backs-female-circumcision-1.3385891