JLU - Patriot Act

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: JLU - Patriot Act

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

That's just plain bad writing.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Fianna wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:55 pm Though, as Kevin Smith famously pointed out, given that Lois's memories of finding out Clark was Superman and sleeping with him were erased by an amnesia kiss, when she discovers that her son has superpowers and is almost certainly Superman's kid, her response should have been, "When did you rape me, Superman?"
Yeah... y'know, I will never understand why they decided to make the first Millennial Superman the way they did. Clearly they wanted some name recognition with the kids given how they went and poached Cyclops - which at the time was tied only with the Sam Raimi Spider-Man films as the hottest superhero properties of the day.
And then they made the confusing decision to literally make him Christopher Reeves - a boomer who many kids may now only know as ''that guy in a wheelchair'' or ''that guy in Dad's superhero film''. And not only that, they do so by deleting films 3 and 4, thereby ending their relationship with mind rape. I get that ''Superman 3'' and ''Superman 4'' are basically ''Batman Forever'' and ''Batman and Robin'' in terms of quality and tonal shift, but still, erasing them from existence is some way to go to reboot an existing character when you could just ''make a new character without any of that history in the first place''.

And as an aside, the mind rape kiss once again personifies why my favourite Supermans are DCAU and ''Lois and Clark''. Because even the beloved Chris Reeves in his best films did highly questionable things.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Actually Routh is a Gen-X'er, not millennial.
..What mirror universe?
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

clearspira wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:58 pm
Fianna wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:55 pm Though, as Kevin Smith famously pointed out, given that Lois's memories of finding out Clark was Superman and sleeping with him were erased by an amnesia kiss, when she discovers that her son has superpowers and is almost certainly Superman's kid, her response should have been, "When did you rape me, Superman?"
Yeah... y'know, I will never understand why they decided to make the first Millennial Superman the way they did. Clearly they wanted some name recognition with the kids given how they went and poached Cyclops - which at the time was tied only with the Sam Raimi Spider-Man films as the hottest superhero properties of the day.
And then they made the confusing decision to literally make him Christopher Reeves - a boomer who many kids may now only know as ''that guy in a wheelchair'' or ''that guy in Dad's superhero film''. And not only that, they do so by deleting films 3 and 4, thereby ending their relationship with mind rape. I get that ''Superman 3'' and ''Superman 4'' are basically ''Batman Forever'' and ''Batman and Robin'' in terms of quality and tonal shift, but still, erasing them from existence is some way to go to reboot an existing character when you could just ''make a new character without any of that history in the first place''.

And as an aside, the mind rape kiss once again personifies why my favourite Supermans are DCAU and ''Lois and Clark''. Because even the beloved Chris Reeves in his best films did highly questionable things.
They were clearly hoping for the same nostalgia appeal that had greeted the Star Wars prequels a few years previously, and the Star Wars sequels a decade later.
kingofmadcows
Redshirt

Post by kingofmadcows »

Funny how DC's animated shows are more relevant and have better political commentary than most of the live action DC and Marvel movies with 100 times the budget.

It's kind of depressing looking back on the DCAU and seeing how big of an opportunity WB missed by not giving the DCAU people an animated movie franchise like Sony is doing now with Into the Spider-Verse.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

kingofmadcows wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:40 am Funny how DC's animated shows are more relevant and have better political commentary than most of the live action DC and Marvel movies with 100 times the budget.

It's kind of depressing looking back on the DCAU and seeing how big of an opportunity WB missed by not giving the DCAU people an animated movie franchise like Sony is doing now with Into the Spider-Verse.
Hmm. Good DC/MCU political commentary.

Dark Knight
Black Panther
Wonder Woman
Captain Americas
Iron Mans
I mean, Fox X-Men movies certainly don't shy from it.
..What mirror universe?
kingofmadcows
Redshirt

Post by kingofmadcows »

And did any of them do it better than the DCAU?

I would argue that even Dark Knight didn't do it as well as the Cadmus arc.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Then again ten episodes of a tv show is different from a 2 and a half hour movie.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Well Cadmus was more of a season 2 thing. But what about the Cadmus arc was so pertinent as commentary?
..What mirror universe?
King Green
Officer

Post by King Green »

Somehow I feel that Chuck will do the "Epilogue" episode of DCAU after new years to troll us to cry after we celebrated 2020, and if its true everone bring a box...no, a big bucket of napkins with their comfort food/drink.
Do not pity a Slave for the Slave-Lord, but hear the power of what Chaos can be.
All Beings bow before the children of he who bound their flesh by their words.
Fall and wail, all flesh, bone, soul,& power is a servant to Yun-man, the First Slave-Lord.