Knight Rider: Christmas Special

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Re: Knight Rider: Christmas Special

Post by RobbyB1982 »

I'm of the age group that KR was airing when I was a tot, but I mostly know William Daniels as Mr. Feeny from Boy Meets World. (Though I did like him in 1776)

So its just always weird to have teacher guy/father figure as the car.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Blaze Rocker wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:17 pmThe biggest problem for me was that the vehicle was not from General Motors. It wasn't based on a Camaro/Trans Am and it was essentially a huge middle finger to all the fans of the original series.
Only people obsessed with cars are going to know any of that, though. I was a fan of this show when I was very young and I couldn't have told you anything about the real-world components of the car.
ancistrus
Redshirt

Post by ancistrus »

OK, seriously how did the czech 1973 Cinderella theme get in this?
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

Blaze Rocker wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:17 pm
clearspira wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:50 pm
Blaze Rocker wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:33 pm The Knight Four Thousand did talk but it had less personality and less natural care for biologic life than K.I.T.T. did in the Knight Rider pilot. It would have taken Michael too long to bring it up to speed with K.I.T.T. and he refused to use it.

It was both good and bad that a new series never happened. Bad because I would have watched it and good because there were too many things wrong with how the movie was potentially setting it up.

I think you mixed up some episodes. In the episode 'Junk Yard Dog' K.I.T.T. is mostly eaten alive after being dumped in an acid pit, gets rebuilt and then doesn't want to risk further damage, or the equivalent of A.I. pain, again and Michael has to get his nerve back or else the Foundation techs will replace him. Yes, K.I.T.T. did have some fear of Goliath but I don't recall it ever being so bad that he refused to face him/it.
The biggest problem with the Knight Four Thousand was that it was FIRE ENGINE RED.
I could have lived with the color red if the movie was meant to be the pilot for a new series and a female pilot/driver/operator was to be the new lead. The biggest problem for me was that the vehicle was not from General Motors. It wasn't based on a Camaro/Trans Am and it was essentially a huge middle finger to all the fans of the original series. Although it took years for me to learn this fact when I did I was quite glad no series ever came from that movie as it was a major insult to the fans and to the legacy of the series it spawned from.
Oh yeah, K.I.T.T. developed some PTSD concerning "Junk Yard Dog" and the whole Goliath-Ordeal. They even brought that up in the episode "Blind Spot" and in the final Goliath two parter.

My problem concerning the new series was neither the colour, nor the pilot, nor that Michael apparently left the foundation in the 90s, to go fishing or something like that. My problem is not even, that Maddox is an unlikeable bastard, which Carmen Argenziano (Sam Carters dad) - god bless his soul - did a good job portraying as unlikeable. No, my biggest gripe with the flick, is that they had the nerve to kill off Devon Miles - and they did it in such a infuriating way.
AllanO
Officer

Post by AllanO »

So resurrecting this thread to talk about the reupload I just watched (the reupload can be watched here: https://sfdebris.com/videos/tv/knightrider.php ).

I can't help but notice that KARR looks identical to KITT except according to the pilot KITT looks identical to the car Michael had before he got shot in the face and they made KITT look like that so as to make it fit better with Michael. So in story KARR should not look identical to KITT (unless improbably they were originally going to give Michael KARR, realized KARR was a no-go and went with KITT only after already modifying KARR's appearance). Outside of story that Black TransAm looks cool and its good visual shorthand to make them identical.

Also watching the special there is no reason to expect a show to respect continuity when they happily switch which shoulder Michael was shot in from cut to cut.

I have not watched Knight Rider in a looong time but I still think it is probably the most entertaining thing Hasselhoff was in.
Last edited by AllanO on Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill
cloudkitt
Officer

Post by cloudkitt »

I believe the fact that KITT looked like Michael Long's stock Trans Am was supposed to be a coincidence, so that Michael would mistake it for his car.

Now, whether the intention originally was that they fitted KITT into his specific car and that got quietly retconned with KARR, it's pretty easy to reconcile with just that "both Wilton Knight and Michael Long liked Trans Ams."
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Although I do wonder did Knight like video game because a glowing weak spot is so video game.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

AllanO wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:33 pmI have not watched Knight Rider in a looong time but I still think it is probably the most entertaining thing Hasselhoff was in.
He may only have a short cameo in it, sing the title song and star in the accompanying music video, but he was in the movie "Kung Fury", which is more entertaining than anything else he was in:

youtu.be/bS5P_LAqiVg
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Marveryn
Officer

Post by Marveryn »

for those wondering why so many Trans am appear on the show, it has to do with the history of the car themselves. It seem at some point there was a train accident and all those car were damage before sold in the lot. Cause the dealer couldn't sell damage cars they were instead giving to the hollywood with the intent they be destroy after they were done using them. There a youtuber that talk about the history of each car. Knight Rider got some of the car and so did the Fall guy.