Star Trek Beyond

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BBally81
Officer

Re: Star Trek Beyond

Post by BBally81 »

I had a feeling that among the Klienverse trilogy, Chuck would be more positive on Beyond. I remember watching the movie a plane and thinking to myself "I wish I watching it on a bigger screen and gave it my money when it was released in theatres" because in my opinion outside of some of the recent comics and novels, Star Trek Beyond is the last good piece of Star Trek media as Discovery ended up being a mediocre show and although I haven't watched Picard I've heard mixed reactions about the show.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

BBally81 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:19 pm I had a feeling that among the Klienverse trilogy, Chuck would be more positive on Beyond. I remember watching the movie a plane and thinking to myself "I wish I watching it on a bigger screen and gave it my money when it was released in theatres" because in my opinion outside of some of the recent comics and novels, Star Trek Beyond is the last good piece of Star Trek media as Discovery ended up being a mediocre show and although I haven't watched Picard I've heard mixed reactions about the show.
Having only seen it yesterday I'm also wishing I'd seen it at the time on the big screen (I've only got a monitor to watch stuff on, no TV). It felt like they'd found their feet with Beyond, a good place to move on from, to the point where I'll be a bit sad to not see that cast again. Pine finally felt a bit like Kirk (some of the other characters always had felt enough like their counterparts, others a good different view of them, he was the sore thumb).
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

Star Trek Beyond did feel like they had finally found itself. And it's too bad it was when they bombed.

I mean, this felt like Star Trek. The characters were grappling with a question about the human condition: where do we belong as individuals in the grand scheme of things. And it was the first of the Kelvinverse movies that felt like it was character driven.

Here's hoping Star Trek will find a future, especially with the merger coming and everything coming back under one umbrella. Though, I have to say, it might be time to move away from the Kirk era and perhaps go into the 25th century.
Wolf359
Redshirt

Post by Wolf359 »

I thought Urethra Franklin was a soul singer who takes the piss?

Of the three Kelvin films, this is my favourite, even if these films are almost following the originals. But you can tell this was made by people who liked Star Trek.

I did like the dates on Spock’s memorial screen thing; 2230 - 2263. Does that photo look like that of a 33 year old!? I know timey wimey stuff, but I doubt anyone would take that seriously in universe.

They don’t build them like they used to do; Franklin drops off a cliff, hitting rocks all the way down and is perfectly space worthy... Voyager skims along snow and smashes the nacelles to bits and everyone dies.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Wolf359 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:18 am I thought Urethra Franklin was a soul singer who takes the piss?
I get it lol
Wolf359 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:18 amThey don’t build them like they used to do; Franklin drops off a cliff, hitting rocks all the way down and is perfectly space worthy... Voyager skims along snow and smashes the nacelles to bits and everyone dies.

Well either way they're not really meant for landing.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Wolf359 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:18 am I thought Urethra Franklin was a soul singer who takes the piss?

Of the three Kelvin films, this is my favourite, even if these films are almost following the originals. But you can tell this was made by people who liked Star Trek.

I did like the dates on Spock’s memorial screen thing; 2230 - 2263. Does that photo look like that of a 33 year old!? I know timey wimey stuff, but I doubt anyone would take that seriously in universe.

They don’t build them like they used to do; Franklin drops off a cliff, hitting rocks all the way down and is perfectly space worthy... Voyager skims along snow and smashes the nacelles to bits and everyone dies.
Which is why it is an obvious blooper. Spock was nearly 200 when he died.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Not a blooper. He was born in 2230 and died in 2263. It just so happens, that this way of displaying the birth- and death-year of a person doesn't denote the age of the person, contrary to every single non-time-traveling being.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Yeah, his obit probably just has an asterisk and a footnote is all. And that is fine. Born 2230 in another universe, and died 2263 in this one.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:07 pm Not a blooper. He was born in 2230 and died in 2263. It just so happens, that this way of displaying the birth- and death-year of a person doesn't denote the age of the person, contrary to every single non-time-traveling being.
Good exaplanation!
ninjadeadbeard
Redshirt

Post by ninjadeadbeard »

How do I get the picture-in-picture thing to work? Can't get it working on the main review. It just goes black.