Full Moon

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
jstrahan
Officer

Re: Full Moon

Post by jstrahan »

Most likely, since the song was a 'one-off', written for Mitsuki's mother, Aoi (her father) did not copyright it. Possibly the laws in Japan are different. Also, Dr, Wakaoji is at least 35 (probably older), since Route L broke up 12 years ago and he had to do the long number of years of medical training.
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

Except you don't need to copyright songs. It happens automatically by sheer creation, you don't apply for it like you do a trademark. Heck, if her dad wrote it, then Mitsuki likely owns the copyright herself as his heir. Her dad would've had to go out of his way to release any copyright claim on the song.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Copyright in Japan lasts fifty years following the artists death. They also provide various rights with registration or declaration. Assuming that Mitski's dad didn't sell the rights to the song, then the rights belong to Mitski. However, because Mitski is a child, they might be managed by someone else, who is acting in Mitski's, not Full Moon's, best interest.

Now this probably doesn't show up in the show because it's about a girl who wants to sing, not the adventures of a hot shot lawyer.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Thalolli
Redshirt

Post by Thalolli »

I have to say, I don't really like anime, but I find myself oddly fascinated with the Full Moon reviews and I always watch them even though I have never seen the show. It's the only anime show I do that for. Maybe the oddity of him reviewing something so girly is so striking, it makes me overcome my general non-interest in anime. Or maybe the relative simple plots of the episodes make it easy to watch the reviews without having watched the show.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Wait, i Japan is only 50 years after the Author's Death, then James Bond and C. S. Lewis stuff would be PD there now?
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

well, now you're talking about international copyright law, which is a whole different kettle of worms. i'd assume that such things are outlined in some sort of treaty or economic agreement between countries.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

In America the Pre-1923 aspect has been consistently help up regardless of overseas Law. Which is why the KJV and Peter Pan and PD here but not in the UK.

Japan's Doujin scene dodges Copyright law anyway. I'd love to see how they'd combine modern Isekai tropes with Narnia.
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

TGLS wrote:Copyright in Japan lasts fifty years following the artists death. They also provide various rights with registration or declaration. Assuming that Mitski's dad didn't sell the rights to the song, then the rights belong to Mitski. However, because Mitski is a child, they might be managed by someone else, who is acting in Mitski's, not Full Moon's, best interest.

Now this probably doesn't show up in the show because it's about a girl who wants to sing, not the adventures of a hot shot lawyer.
That actually would make she show more interesting. Since Mitsuki's legal guardian is Grandma, and Grandma is clearly part of the Japanese Branch of the Picard family, I doubt she sold the rights to anyone. And people vying for Grandma to not sit on the rights would sure as heck elevate the episode.
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

Great job. Can't wait for more. But...what was that stuff at the end? From some video game?
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

jstrahan wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:14 pm Great job. Can't wait for more. But...what was that stuff at the end? From some video game?
It looks like, in my delirium, I loaded the raw file instead of the processed file. I'm fixing it now, sorry about that.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope