B:TAS Baby-Doll

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Beelzquill
Officer

Re: B:TAS Baby-Doll

Post by Beelzquill »

Beastro wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:16 am I'm not a comic book guy, but TAS Batman seems to be the most normal, well adjusted rendition of him.

I mean, Bruce Wayne is an actual persona in it and not the hallow fig leaf he hides behind (People like to say only Superman is a superhero with his normal alter-ego being the fake, but Bruce Wayne almost always is). The dude actively takes part in running his company and spends some time at least living and doing things without needing to maintain the playboy act.
Eh? TAS Bruce dated Barbara Gordon and knocked her up right after she ended her relationship with Dick Grayson then she miscarried and was super alone and paranoid with only a dog for company until his unknown test tube son meets him in Batman Beyond. Dude is still very unnormal there. By the way, the pregnancy/miscarriage thing is from a Batman Beyond Comic written by Bruce Timm since you aren't a comic book guy.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Beelzquill wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:06 am Oh god, I just realized another problem she would have, Pedofiles would find her attractive. How the hell would you even think about that? *Shudders*
If it happens between consenting adults, then it's neither pedophilia nor your business. I don't see any "yuck" nor "shudder".
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:59 am
Beelzquill wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:06 am Oh god, I just realized another problem she would have, Pedofiles would find her attractive. How the hell would you even think about that? *Shudders*
If it happens between consenting adults, then it's neither pedophilia nor your business. I don't see any "yuck" nor "shudder".
Dude, I'm talking about a Pedo who thinks she is a kid and tries to rape her.
Senko
Redshirt

Post by Senko »

Beastro wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:26 pm
stellar_coyote wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:15 am That actually brings to mind a problem with Batman and by extension BTAS, the fact that nothing is done for the characters to get better. The Baby Doll/Killer Croc episode is an example, another would be what happened with Mr. Freeze, he reached the ending point of his journey in the movie Sub-Zero but they brought him back just to pile on more emotional trauma and angst.
But that could be said for comic books and superheroes in general. No one is ever left with a conclusion, people are always brought back to have the same old Cowboys and Indians fun again and again.

IMO, it's one of the fundamental flaws of superheroes and undermines its ability to grow mythologically as things are too cyclical. And it can't help but be that way, sadly. Even if people tried to make it more like actual mythology it wouldn't be allowed, because superheroes are in the grip of money makers who won't allow things to end unless they stop turning a profit.
CMDR_Bob wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:56 pmMost of his rogues aren't just nuts looking to take over the world (although, they may argue otherwise for posterity.). They're damaged people living in a world where hope is basically a dying ember and whose heroes are basically them except fortune gave them a single good day.
What's ignored is how often this is a real life motivator for murderers. The Columbine shooters did what they did becoming solidly nihilistic in sentiment and embodied their belief in their actions.
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:05 pm Joker's the most entertaining.
He's antipodal to Batman. This is why Nolan's movie struck such a chord with people even if it focused on just one aspect of what Joker represents, which was him being an embodiment of chaos in a way even who champion chaos (change makers) fail to understand.
Reminds me of a fanfic I read once where someone wanted to get rid of someone and arranged for them to be put into Arkham Asylum and left alone with the joker. His response "Why its almost as though someone expected something to happen?" then glares at the guard. Sure its a fanfic but it illustrates why I find the joker so terrifying compared to Batman's other villains. Certain interpretations of him aside he's sane. He will vary his techniques, his actions and even his goals while being fully aware of what he's doing in a way the other rogues gallery don't seem to match. They are all tied to their gimmick Riddler and his riddles, two face and his coin, Penguin and his ice obsession. The joker on the other hand will orchestrate complex plans with massive planning and scope then simply follow and toment a driver who flipped him off because he can. He's not predictable but he is aware of what he's doing and you can't set a trap for him in the way you can others.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I rarely make these kind of accusations but I am 90% sure that Barbara Gordon is Bruce Timm's waifu.

That's the only reason that she consistently ends up with Batman and he keeps trying to justify it.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:16 am I rarely make these kind of accusations but I am 90% sure that Barbara Gordon is Bruce Timm's waifu.
Wow, next you'll be telling me that Chris Claremont has a thing for mind control and that Quentin Tarantino's likes bare feet :D
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

Like many episodes of Batman: The Animated Series (including the various renamings of it along the way), this episode's end hits like an emotional truck.

All credit for that goes to the writing staff and the voice actress who played the villainess.

Also, in regards to Killer Croc and Baby Doll:

They both have conditions that set them apart from society, and they both want to be treated as regular people instead of as what they look like. So, that makes them understand each other and like each other's company, because they can be themselves around each other.

So it's a platonic relationship based around that commonality, and built up further by the fact that they're both supervillains.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

Nevix wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:08 pm Like many episodes of Batman: The Animated Series (including the various renamings of it along the way), this episode's end hits like an emotional truck.

All credit for that goes to the writing staff and the voice actress who played the villainess.

Also, in regards to Killer Croc and Baby Doll:

They both have conditions that set them apart from society, and they both want to be treated as regular people instead of as what they look like. So, that makes them understand each other and like each other's company, because they can be themselves around each other.

So it's a platonic relationship based around that commonality, and built up further by the fact that they're both supervillains.
Though in Killer Croc's case, he had a chance to live a peaceful life among a group of physically deformed circus performers but he chose turn on them when they refuse to kill Batman.
Coyote's Own
Redshirt

Post by Coyote's Own »

Baby Doll, the Ventriloquist wants his schtick back.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:16 am I rarely make these kind of accusations but I am 90% sure that Barbara Gordon is Bruce Timm's waifu.

That's the only reason that she consistently ends up with Batman and he keeps trying to justify it.
Honestly, I was not all that upset at Batgirl and Batman ending up together.

This is a different universe and it is not like rich handsome guys never end up with younger women who look up to them. And I guess that can be a little weird to people, but Barbara is a kung fu super genius, the idea that she is not mature enough to enter into the relationship consensually is laughable... hell she is more emotionally mature and healthy than Bruce who is locked into a persistent adolescent delusion that he can somehow defeat crime via totemic violence.

I would have prefered Batman to end up with Wonder Woman... but whatever.

I would have been more suspicious of the Waifu thing if she was in Justice League, or if they had made a spinoff series (maybe after Batman and Superman argue over Cadmus) where Batman starts his own super team and she was his second in command on that hypothetical series (Batman and the Outsiders anyone?).
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13