Kannazuki No Miko 11

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
jstrahan
Officer

Re: Kannazuki No Miko 11

Post by jstrahan »

Admiral X wrote:Considering how much rape and sexual assault there tends to be in anime,
There really isn't that much. I have about 300 discs of anime on my shelf (KnM isn't one of them), and I can count on one hand those that contain any kind of rape or sexual assault. Some just contain 'stolen kisses'.
Starbug
Officer

Post by Starbug »

jstrahan wrote:
Admiral X wrote:Considering how much rape and sexual assault there tends to be in anime,
There really isn't that much. I have about 300 discs of anime on my shelf (KnM isn't one of them), and I can count on one hand those that contain any kind of rape or sexual assault. Some just contain 'stolen kisses'.
Even GATE, which is fast becoming one of my favourite animés (and something I'd consider asking Chuck if he'd tackle), has a victim of rape and violence starting to show...affection, for the perpetrator, who is quite possibly the most punchable antagonist I've ever seen.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Cute Girls doing Cute Things shows have no sexual content.
Call me KuudereKun
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

CrypticMirror wrote:Good grief, this is a messed up anime.

I've forgotten why I ever thought anime used to be cool, not that I think I would ever have thought of this one as cool.
Quick! Get some Trigun, some Cowboy Bebop, something from a better series!

EDIT: Yes, I am aware that I am setting the bar rather low. It's not hard to find something better than Kannazuki no Miko.
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

Nevix wrote:Quick! Get some Trigun, some Cowboy Bebop, something from a better series!

EDIT: Yes, I am aware that I am setting the bar rather low. It's not hard to find something better than Kannazuki no Miko.
Question: Is "Cowboy Bebop" actually as awesome as I think it is, or is it just that it resonates exceptionally well with a Western audience because the creator drew a lot of inspiration from Western films?
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

Nevix wrote: Question: Is "Cowboy Bebop" actually as awesome as I think it is, or is it just that it resonates exceptionally well with a Western audience because the creator drew a lot of inspiration from Western films?
Yes
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

bronnt wrote:
Nevix wrote:Quick! Get some Trigun, some Cowboy Bebop, something from a better series!

Question: Is "Cowboy Bebop" actually as awesome as I think it is, or is it just that it resonates exceptionally well with a Western audience because the creator drew a lot of inspiration from Western films?
Cowboy Bebop is really good, in my book. I do recommend giving it a try.

Personally, I started watching at Episode 5 of Cowboy Bebop, (And Outlaw Star, due to not having much curiosity about them when they first aired on TV.), and it's worth considering starting at episode 5.

But starting at episode 1 also starts at the beginning, and clears up some confusion that might result from starting later in the series.

The biggest thing to remember with anime is that it's a medium, with a massive variety in what you can find and watch. So there's an anime for everyone out there.

Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star are personal favorites though... and I just realized that I wrote Trigun in the original post of mine. Kind of adding in more favorites as I go along. ;p
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

Starbug wrote:I can't think of any other review where Chuck's displayed such utter disdain for the subject matter...and this is a man who's put together lists of the worst episodes from each Star Trek series.

I have often considered putting in for something bad, just to see him rip it apart, but even I draw the line somewhere (turned out to be at Starchaser: The Legend Of Orin)
Miracle Day, the Torchwood 10 parter, ended with Chuck disdainfully casting the series off as just plain awful.

There was also Repo: The Genetic Opera where it was obvious that Chuck really wished he hadn't had to watch it.

There are a few parts of the opening 2 parter for Battlestar Galactica where it was obvious that Chuck was just cringing and trying to get past that scene, up to and including skipping reviewing certain scenes.

But no... nothing as contemptuously awful as Kannazuki no Miko has crossed his path before, and hopefully, Chuck won't be subjected to anything this bad again.
Starbug
Officer

Post by Starbug »

Nevix wrote:Miracle Day, the Torchwood 10 parter
Miracle Day effectively killed off any chance of Torchwood continuing, and was also the reason John Barrowman wasn't available for A God Man Goes To War, leaving his part to be reassigned to the "space pirates".

So yeah, it can burn in the fires of eternal damnation for all I care :evil:
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

bronnt wrote:Question: Is "Cowboy Bebop" actually as awesome as I think it is, or is it just that it resonates exceptionally well with a Western audience because the creator drew a lot of inspiration from Western films?
I have to dissent a bit - it has a lot of good points (including a phenomenal soundtrack), but I didn't think the writing was all that sharp. The underlying story with Spike & Vicious just felt too thin, and Julia was never developed as a character except as an object of desire for Spike.

Don't get me wrong - I wept manly tears at the ending like everyone else, but in the end it felt a bit empty.

I'm not well versed in anime, though, so I'm not a good person to go to for recommendations. I liked Death Note and Fullmetal Alchemist quite a lot. And the Kyoto arc of Rurouni Kenshin, though that really doesn't fit into SF Debris, uh, idiom.