Kannazuki no Miko 12

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
ScreamingDoom
Officer

Re: Kannazuki no Miko 12

Post by ScreamingDoom »

griffeytrek wrote:
Tenchi Muyo, especially the Tenchi Muyo OVA's is pretty near perfect for Chuck to review. It's six episodes, so it doesn't get old. Each has a different tone. It's sort of Space Opera. And it has all kinds of whacky anime cliches for him to make fun of, without the really twisted lesbian incest rape stuff.
There's more than just six OAVs now, though the latter ones don't make as much sense.

Honestly, though, I think Chuck would like Tenchi Universe better. It has a much better realized setting and a much, much tighter plotline.

The best might be for both the OAVs and TV's Tenchi to be reviewed and to have Chuck compare the two. For instance, there's the character of Mihoshi. In Tenchi Universe, she really is that stupid. In the OAVs, it's heavily implied that she went through some sort of horrific trauma that caused a psychotic break and retreated into the goofy persona as a defence mechanism. Before that, she was a hyper-competent Galaxy Police detective. Her super-luck is really just the remnant of her hypercompency making itself known in a way consistent with her bubble-headed persona.

That actually brings the Mihoshi Special into a new and twisted light; it seems like an extremely exaggerated and stylized version of whatever trauma caused Mihoshi to retreat into herself, with Kiyone actually being a representation of Mihoshi's hyper-competent side. Seen in that light, the part where Kiyone is marooned on an asteroid cursing Mihoshi's name really becomes horrific: that's actually a piece of Mihoshi that she has closed off and kept imprisoned in her own mind and who hates her. Mihoshi is consumed by self-loathing.
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

Dumping 26 episodes of an unfamiliar series on him rather than just a quick self-contained 6-episode arc seemed like a bit more excess, especially when it took him almost three years and three months to get through the 12 episodes of Kannazuki no Miko and in three years he still hasn't gotten to the halfway point of Full Moon. Also, Universe would have been around four times as expensive to request as Ryo-Ohki series 1.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

SabreMau wrote:when it took him almost three years and three months to get through the 12 episodes of Kannazuki no Miko and in three years he still hasn't gotten to the halfway point of Full Moon.
Part of this is probably a desire to mix things up in order to avoid alienating a large percentage of the audience (Full Moon could easily have been completed by now, but nothing but Full Moon may very well lead to lots of skipped Mondays and annoyed supporters.) Kannazuki no Miko was probably a case of "This is horrible, why can't I do something else?", followed by him doing something else, namely Full Moon.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

If anyone wants to make Chuck watch something that might enrage him in a similar way, but not be as long an investment. Kuttsukiboshi is only two episodes.
Call me KuudereKun
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

TGLS wrote:
SabreMau wrote:when it took him almost three years and three months to get through the 12 episodes of Kannazuki no Miko and in three years he still hasn't gotten to the halfway point of Full Moon.
Part of this is probably a desire to mix things up in order to avoid alienating a large percentage of the audience (Full Moon could easily have been completed by now, but nothing but Full Moon may very well lead to lots of skipped Mondays and annoyed supporters.) Kannazuki no Miko was probably a case of "This is horrible, why can't I do something else?", followed by him doing something else, namely Full Moon.
I'd actually have rather he'd devote 18months to just power through Full Moon and put it in the rear view mirror. Sure lots of skipped episodes, but at least it would be over and done with. Able to move onto something else. I genuinely regret being one of the ones, all that time ago, who kept asking Chuck to do anime in the first place. I thought it would just be mecha and spaceships, I just wanted to hear Chuck making jokes about spaceships and robots!
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

SabreMau wrote:Dumping 26 episodes of an unfamiliar series on him rather than just a quick self-contained 6-episode arc seemed like a bit more excess, especially when it took him almost three years and three months to get through the 12 episodes of Kannazuki no Miko and in three years he still hasn't gotten to the halfway point of Full Moon. 1.
Can you blame him? Full Moon looks so tedious. Like not bad, just bland and boring. I am so glad for Chuck managing to milk the jokes he can out of that POS.
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

Ghilz wrote:Full Moon looks so tedious. Like not bad, just bland and boring. I am so glad for Chuck managing to milk the jokes he can out of that POS.
"POS"? Hardly. It's one of my favorite anime series (look at my avatar). Like all series, there are tedious moments, but the drama certainly picks up, especially after episode 28. So, your comment resulted in a slight rise of anger in me.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Yeah, you pretty much prove that there's an audience for almost anything, though. I get that you like the show, and appreciate that at different points you've even tried explaining what the appeal is to you, but you have to understand that for most of us, the show is boring and a chore. I don't even bother watching Chuck's videos on it anymore, because while he's trying his best, I'm just not getting anything out of it. It's like how some of the episodes of MST3K are such a chore to watch, because the movie they're riffing is just so boring that no amount of jokes are going to make it better. It legit makes me feel sad that you paid for hm to watch every episode of this show instead of picking out some highlights which highlight what it is you like about this show, because then it would make it easier for the rest of us to maybe see the same thing. I very vaguely remember you talking along the lines of "just wait until we get to such and such episodes." The problem is, by the time we get there, none of the rest of us are going to be invested enough into it to be effected by it.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

It does seem that there's only a few episodes one can reasonably call filler, and it's possible that they'll have something that comes up later. I'd honestly face the same problem if I were trying to pay for Chuck to review Steven Universe. Even the first 24 episodes of that series that were not specifically about the story arcs still have a lot of relevance because of all the world-building and foreshadowing used.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

jstrahan wrote:
Ghilz wrote:Full Moon looks so tedious. Like not bad, just bland and boring. I am so glad for Chuck managing to milk the jokes he can out of that POS.
"POS"? Hardly. It's one of my favorite anime series (look at my avatar). Like all series, there are tedious moments, but the drama certainly picks up, especially after episode 28. So, your comment resulted in a slight rise of anger in me.
Like, glad you like it (Someone has to, to have forked however much reviewing this cost....), but I ain't taking my words back. This show is DULL. Like I said, not bad. But boring and bland. Chuck's commentary can barely make this watchable. And Chuck can make Voyager and the most boring TNG episodes fun! I am so thankful his review are like half the episode length, I can't fathom what watching this in real time must be like.

Again, not calling it bad. But calling it boring. Which can sometimes be worst than being bad. At least something awful provokes a reaction. Kannazuki no Miko is a real bottom of the barrel crap, but at least it's provoking a reaction (intense disgust and hatred).

Honestly I think the main character holds the show back. She's so... boring. Like, painfully nice and friendly, but completely lacking in anything that would make her interesting. She doesn't get angry. She seems to barely get sad - and even then it's like the most bland, neutral sadness ever. She's got no tantrums, not personality flaws. Her main motivation is a childhood crush, which, like, If you want to make a love story boring, make it about a child/teen romance. Coz those <sarcasm>always last and are worth getting invested into</sarcasm>. And the target of the romance is another bland kid with no personality whom we barely ever even see and only in flashbacks. Truly the romances of the ages. Plus I can hardly find myself motivated in the success of a singer who owes her entire shtick to magic. I mean, say what you will about her rival's petty rival-ing, but at least the rival's getting there by her own work.

Also, "The Drama picks up after episode 28" reminds me of people talking about FFXIII "Gets good 10 hours in". My answer is always the same "Why can't it be good now?" Maybe it does get awesome after 28, and if it does, I'll gladly praise it. But so far, nooope.

I'll fully accept that there's some audience who loves this show (There's an audience for literally anything), but for me this is the margarine of Anime. It's there, it leaves no impression, and adds nothing of worth, but nor does it foul up anything.
Admiral X wrote:Yeah, you pretty much prove that there's an audience for almost anything, though. I get that you like the show, and appreciate that at different points you've even tried explaining what the appeal is to you, but you have to understand that for most of us, the show is boring and a chore. I don't even bother watching Chuck's videos on it anymore, because while he's trying his best, I'm just not getting anything out of it. It's like how some of the episodes of MST3K are such a chore to watch, because the movie they're riffing is just so boring that no amount of jokes are going to make it better. It legit makes me feel sad that you paid for hm to watch every episode of this show instead of picking out some highlights which highlight what it is you like about this show, because then it would make it easier for the rest of us to maybe see the same thing. I very vaguely remember you talking along the lines of "just wait until we get to such and such episodes." The problem is, by the time we get there, none of the rest of us are going to be invested enough into it to be effected by it.
My thoughts exactly.