Is the prohibition against SW Prequel Reviews even still relevant?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
planescaped
Redshirt

Re: Is the prohibition against SW Prequel Reviews even still relevant?

Post by planescaped »

I liked the prequels a lot when I was 15... however, rewatching them at age 30, I definitely see why people hated them. Pacing, and characterization and line delivery and other more nuanced aspects I didn't give a crap about, or went over my head, are far more glaring now that I am older.

Self-indulgence sums up Phantom Menace and Clone Wars nicely. Revenge of the Sith's pretty good though. It succeeds despite it's per-establshed flaws.

I can only speak for myself, but that Darth Maul fight set to Duel of the Fates had such an amazing impact that I think a lot of people completely forgot how much of a slog Phantom Menace was. Even kid me got bored seeing it in theatres. Clone Wars... happened. Frankly I don't remember a single specific detail about it other than Dooku had a cool lightsaber handle. >__>
Beastro
Captain

Re: Is the prohibition against SW Prequel Reviews even still relevant?

Post by Beastro »

planescaped wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:22 pm I can only speak for myself, but that Darth Maul fight set to Duel of the Fates had such an amazing impact that I think a lot of people completely forgot how much of a slog Phantom Menace was. Even kid me got bored seeing it in theatres. Clone Wars... happened. Frankly I don't remember a single specific detail about it other than Dooku had a cool lightsaber handle. >__>
For me I liked the Phantom Menace, but more as a one off film. My brother was the one that was big into Star Wars in the 80s and it was fun going to see PM with him (I forget his reaction to it, but it wasn't bad, but then he wasn't super into SW in the stereotypical way, more how Jurassic Park had been to me, a fond bit of his childhood), it took me years to realize how badly it was received even if I'd noticed some of its problems.

The thing for me was the passing of time between it and Attack of the Clones and the clear differences between it and the later films that made it feel more like it stands on its own rather than being the first of a trilogy. It was Attack of the Clones where I fully got how bad things were going with the films and how "off" they were that wasn't helped by the increased use of CGI at the expense of practical effects that happened after PM. By the time of RotS it was all too little too late to give a crap about and simply went to see it because nothing else was really appealing to go see at the time.