MST3K The Show - Seasons 1-10

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Re: MST3K The Show

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:33 am
Beastro wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:11 am
The Plot Requires It.

Even good shows can fall prey to that structural logic.

I watched Where Eagles Dare a few months ago. The good guys take some revealed traitors captive and take them along with to the gondola as they make their escape. There is zero reason for them to do so and it would make perfect sense for them to kill them or leave them tied up if they didn't have the heart, but once they get to the gondola it becomes apparent why they kept them around: They needed a dramatic fight on the top of the gondola and that was the way for the movie to have it be a gritty and personal climactic struggle as their traitorous comrades are the ones Richard Burton fights to the death with.
I could get the aliens forgetting it once...but at the end? The entire reason they went back was to retrieve it. Maybe they wanted to set it up for a sequel, as there was a Laserblast 2 in pre-production before Empire Pictures went under.
Sorry to double post but I've just I've just learned that the sequel to Laserblast DOES exist, but got repurposed as it's own thing, written and directed by Michael Miner (co-writer of Robocop), Deadly Weapon from 1989 starring Rodney Eastman of Nightmare on Elm Street 3 and 4 with Michael Horse of Twin Peaks, William Sanderson of Blade Runner, Sue Blu of Transformers, and Richard Horvitz of Invader Zim and the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy in supporting roles! Okay, apparently Laserblast as a series would have made a habit out of having future Cartoon Network voice actors star in them.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

w-hat?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I'd suggest that the alien's purpose wasn't to retrieve it, but that they were running a test of some kind or something. That's giving the makers way too much credit though.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Poipoi
Redshirt

Post by Poipoi »

Mike makes a great Janeway cosplayer
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:03 am I'd suggest that the alien's purpose wasn't to retrieve it, but that they were running a test of some kind or something. That's giving the makers way too much credit though.
You are. It's clear the aliens are meant to be the decent keepers of the weapon who had it slip out and come back to try to prevent it causing trouble.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: MST3K The Show - Season 8

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Updated for Season 8

https://sfdebris.com/videos/tv/mst3k08.php
Last edited by BridgeConsoleMasher on Mon May 04, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..What mirror universe?
93ImperatorPenguin
Redshirt

Post by 93ImperatorPenguin »

Ah, I remember fondly that great charity. HELPING CHILDREN THROUGH RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT

Which as we all know is an acronym for: Hi, Everyone. Let's Pitch In 'N' Get Cracking Here In Louisiana Doing Right, Eh? Now Then. Hateful Rich Overbearing Ugly Guys Hurt Royally Everytime Someone Eats A Radish, Carrot, Hors d'oeuvre, And Never Does Dishes. Eventually, Victor Eats Lunch Over Peoria Mit Ein Neuesberger Tod.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Season 8 was how I seriously got invested into the show, and watched week to week, due to the arc of where Mike and the Bots were ending up. It made me more invested into the show, so even thought the creators hated it, I got invested into the show BECAUSE of the Scifi channel's meddling.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Not going to lie, the Sci-Fi era is probably my favorite version of the show.
Akkristor
Redshirt

Post by Akkristor »

Aaah yes, The Many Names of David Ryder. Quite possibly my favorite gag in all of MST3K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHlJ2voJHY

I used to have a running gag in an old D&D group where if my character couldn't remember a NPC's name he'd use one of those instead. Thank you, King Big McLargeHuge!