Christmas Show

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
SFDebris
The Doctor

Re: Christmas Show

Post by SFDebris »

New hint! Although you may not have already gotten it... or have you?!
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Hm... Guess the Director hasn't been mentioned yet. Or it's rules lawyering like "The director is Edwardo X and therefore I technically said his name." Or the people in the show said the director's name (though Jackie Chan seems unlikely).
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

TGLS wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:35 pm Hm... Guess the Director hasn't been mentioned yet. Or it's rules lawyering like "The director is Edwardo X and therefore I technically said his name." Or the people in the show said the director's name (though Jackie Chan seems unlikely).
Well, if it IS Jackie Chan, and has to be a movie between 2000 and 2014, then the only movies he's directed (not counting action director) are 1911 and CZ12.

1911 is a historical drama, so neither sci fi nor fantasy, but it IS clearly fictionalized.

And CZ12 is the third film in the armor of god trilogy and is an action comedy spy film.

Neither are adaptations or remakes. Neither really seems in CHuck's wheelhouse or things he'd make for an awful Christmas film though.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Well, now this is a more sizeable list:
Stephen Spielberg
Kevin Smith
Steven Soderbergh
Gareth Edwards
Daniel Myrick
Eduardo Sánchez
Joshua Leonard (extremely improbable)
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Spam-desu
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

It'll be hilarious if it turns out he only mentioned a specific director in the Blair WItch video to set up the easter egg hunt for his Christmas video.

That seems absolutely in Chuck's bag of tricks.

Hrm. If it's Kevin Smith, it could be anything between Jay and SIlent Bob Strike Back through Tusk. None of that seems like it would be a good Christmas Day movie though.

Spielberg has 10 films between 2000 and 2014, though War of the Worlds, Minority Report, and TinTin are definitely adaptations. Catch Me if You Can, The Terminal, War Horse, Munich, and Lincoln does not seem like a SFdebris review. AI is kind of an adaptation depending how loose he's being with that. That DOES Leave Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull however... and that would certainly fit his usual (but not always) "worst in a franchise" criteria. Though he hasn't done any of the other Indy films so that seems like a disservice as a place to start.

I don't think anything in Soderbergh's catalogue is really appropriate for the site... though I do suppose none of us would have ever guessed Magic Mike.

Everything Gareth Edwards has done in that period would fit the site, though Godzilla and Rogue 1 are pretty clearly sci-fi/fantasy. (And Rouge 1 was 2016... which doesn't preclude someone requesting it in 2014). The rest of his output is documentary sorts of stuff which, while fantastical, would be a strange fit.

Daniel Myrick had three films after Blair Witch, one of them was an adaptation. One is a horror films (which WOULD have it not classify as sci fi or fantasy maybe) and the other is about a cult that kidnaps soemone believing the end of the world is coming. Huh, Kevin Smith ALSO has a film like that...

Eduardo Sánchez much the same, though his stuff is all pretty definitively horror, not great for a Chistmas episode.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

More names!
George Lucas (literally impossible, unless he's breaking his "no prequels" rule)
Michael Jackson (Very Unlikely)
Jon Turteltaub
Spam-desu
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

TGLS wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:00 pm More names!
George Lucas (literally impossible, unless he's breaking his "no prequels" rule)
Michael Jackson (Very Unlikely)
Jon Turteltaub
I remember a thread on here once about the Prequels and Chuck's aversion to them. Once upon a time, back in the days of Red Letter Media at their height, it made sense. The topic was toxic. But post-Sequel trilogy they are so much more warmly received. Plus RLM nowadays is in that same bracket as Nostalgia Critic style caustic reviewers; their golden days have faded. People seem to prefer analysis over empty insults nowadays. AVGN is the poster child of this evolution and the fact that he opened himself up to evolving is one of the reasons why he is still going.

TL;DR - Chuck's Prequel embargo makes no sense to me in 2020. But i'm just a viewer with an opinion.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:28 pm TL;DR - Chuck's Prequel embargo makes no sense to me in 2020. But i'm just a viewer with an opinion.
Sure, but you're neglecting that the request that drove the review is from 6 years ago. Even if the request is valid now doesn't mean it was valid then.

EDIT: Yeah, here's old restrictions:
Thanks to the support of my viewers, I've thrown the door open to almost all comers: any science fiction, fantasy, or horror show or movie can be requested, EXCEPT:

The Star Wars Prequels
The Buffy franchise
Anything related to Twilight
Slasher and Gorn* such as Halloween or Saw (though supernatural versions such as A Nightmare On Elm Street may be an option; write to me if you want to discuss it)
* This is not a typo
Spam-desu
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

That ghostbuster video had a lot of names, but few directors
Harold Ramis
Ivan Rightman
Cheech Marin
Robert Zemeckis
Bob Gale
Dave Thomas
Stephen Spielberg
Spam-desu
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

OK, I'm putting in my entry for the week:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_Day
Spam-desu