Full Moon

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Re: Full Moon

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

SFDebris wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:36 pm
jstrahan wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:14 pm Great job. Can't wait for more. But...what was that stuff at the end? From some video game?
It looks like, in my delirium, I loaded the raw file instead of the processed file. I'm fixing it now, sorry about that.
How is that Phases of the Moon poster out of date?
Ikiry0
Officer

Post by Ikiry0 »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:47 am How is that Phases of the Moon poster out of date?
It stopped being quite so useful after Piccolo blew up the moon.
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

So, this will likely be the cleanest copies of these episodes that you'll likely ever see.
Though I suppose for anyone REALLY interested in maximum video quality, they could hunt down used copies of the Region 2 set.

Been out of print for years, but probably sitting in a Book Off for reasonable price somewhere.
...work as a sports writer...
Pretty sure this is a mistranslation. What I heard was "スポットライト浴びて"/"spottoraito abite"/"bask in the spotlight", which fits the context much better. The Japanese loanword for "sports writer" would be " スポーツライター "/"supootsuraitaa", which has a very clear "tsu" in the middle that Madoka's line is lacking. I think the translator heard the "a" of "abite" and not much of an "o" in "to" and blended it together to "spo(r)twritaa".
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:47 am
How is that Phases of the Moon poster out of date?
It's out of date because when Eichi gave it to her, it was the year 2000, but it is now 2002 (and later).
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

SabreMau wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:18 am
...work as a sports writer...
Pretty sure this is a mistranslation. What I heard was "スポットライト浴びて"/"spottoraito abite"/"bask in the spotlight", which fits the context much better. The Japanese loanword for "sports writer" would be " スポーツライター "/"supootsuraitaa", which has a very clear "tsu" in the middle that Madoka's line is lacking. I think the translator heard the "a" of "abite" and not much of an "o" in "to" and blended it together to "spo(r)twritaa".
Not gonna lie, I think I'd somehow be more invested into an Anime about a Japanese' teen's plan to become an idol singer as a stepping stone to having her own football commentary show on ESPN.
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

It's possible, I know pretty much nothing about the Japanese language, but I should mention both of my sources do have it translated as "sports writer," and the one is clearly not copying from the other to make its subtitles.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

It's still more likely that they both happened to make the same fansub mistake, even independently, than for "spotrait" to mean "sports writer". The verb at the end also doesn't sound anything like "work as", but it does match up perfectly with the te-form of "abiru",
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

I'm still waiting for the big twist that Takuto is actually Eiichi, tragically dead as a child, with a memory wipe because he became a death spirit instead of moving on.

Also... this series is still both jarring, silly, dramatic, and a poster child for "mood whiplash".
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

Here is the version of Eternal Snow that Madoka sings. The clip is from the penultimate episode (51). At the beginning, she seems to be suffering from the shakes (perhaps DTs?).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWPxxEkddWc
The Madoka version is sometimes known as 'Diamond Dust', here sung by Full Moon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnrdJOeUgns
jstrahan
Officer

Post by jstrahan »

Finally glad to see this show back on the 'active list'. Drama and tension will continue to rise as the level of comedy is somewhat less. In this block of episodes, the sadness level increases.