Strange New Worlds

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Strange New Worlds

Post by clearspira »

CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:26 am
clearspira wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:21 am
Seriously man, gotta ask You hate the idea of peace, international unity, manned spaceflight, social progressiveness. all that stuff you've railed against all of that stuff here, you're really into international isolationism and cultural supremacy, and militarism, stay-at-homeism, you've praised all that stuff. So, I gotta ask, what the actual fuck are you getting out of Star Trek? It, and Trek fandom, are based on all the stuff you seem to hate and want to not exist. Help me understand what you get out of it, if the hope of a better, more interconnected, future among the stars is so anathema to you? :?: :?: :?: :?:
I am clearly not against any of these things as my posts over on the Ukraine thread demonstrates as do my central complaints of PIC not being like the hopeful Star Trek of old - thanks for the slander though. Your character-reading skills are terrible.

My rant before is noting that human beings are famous for ruining everywhere we set foot on. We kill the indigenous life, we pollute the land, we stain it in blood, we mine its resources beyond any reasonable capacity. My point is, we are not the humans of Star Trek, and I like looking at photographs of the Moon and Mars without any strip malls on it.

I wish we were the humans of Star Trek. I wish we were going to the stars to explore. I wish we were united under that old version of liberalism seen during TNG that was actually about peace, tolerance and free thinking and not this new version that is about silencing conflicting thought and views and cancelling those who disagree. People like you think that I am Far-Right when I would consider myself to be a Classic Liberal. Which is a concept diametrically opposed to this shit version of 2023 Liberalism that is closer to Communism than anything else.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:54 pm
Riedquat wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:25 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:26 am
clearspira wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:21 am

Never seen any stuff like international isolationism or cultural supremacy from him.
They are a Brexiteer, they've gone off on that one a couple of times.
Being for Brexit can just mean that someone does not agree with being a member of the EU in its current shape or form. It does not automatically mean a general desire for isolationism, just a desire to not be a member of that particular organisation and everything that entails. Sure, it could be out of a desire for isolationism but assuming that is just baseless prejudice and intolerance for political views you don't share.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

yeah, no. Brexit is and was all about cultural supremacy and British isolationism. That is the charitable interpretation, too. The less charitable interpretation was that it was and is about naked xenophobia and racism. You can take your pick, if you are a brexiteer, as to which one you'd rather be. Those are the options, though.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:40 pm yeah, no. Brexit is and was all about cultural supremacy and British isolationism. That is the charitable interpretation, too. The less charitable interpretation was that it was and is about naked xenophobia and racism. You can take your pick, if you are a brexiteer, as to which one you'd rather be. Those are the options, though.
Ah, what an amusing irony. Funny how so often the people who harp on the most about racism and xenophobia openly demonstrate bigotry and prejudice that's off the scale. Self-awareness isn't your strong point I see, sounding as you do just like every prejudiced ignorant fool who's ever perpetuated pointless division.

Anyway, where does race even come in to it?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

clearspira wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:41 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:36 am
CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:39 pm Did they praise Elon Musk again?

At least TOS never referenced current events, because that would have doomed the franchise if the ha......hahahahahaha, sorry I thought I could get through that sentence without laughing. This close, this damn close, Trek has always referenced current events to use them in allegory. It is what makes Trek, Trek.
Hey, the guy who praised Elon Musk turned out to be Space Hitler so irony intact.
There is plenty to praise about Elon Musk.
No there aint. He's living prove that rich people aren't smarter, harder working, or more moral. They're just rich.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:03 am
clearspira wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:41 am There is plenty to praise about Elon Musk.
No there aint. He's living prove that rich people aren't smarter, harder working, or more moral. They're just rich.
With you on that. He's a very unpleasant person.

I suppose if I were to scrape the barrel I'll admit he's been quite a good publicist, which has probably helped to get electric cars and privately-owned spaceflight going, thanks to that publicity-seeking. I doubt he had much technical input in to them. And that publicity benefit is dwindling as more and more people see what he's like as a person.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Decent people tend not to make it to the highest levels of highly-competitive fields. Including, and most especially, politics.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Frustration wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:49 pm Decent people tend not to make it to the highest levels of highly-competitive fields. Including, and most especially, politics.
There’s certain avenues for certain types of people. Decent people aren’t rejected, but you can only play along with specific professional trends to move up through the chain.
Power laces... alright.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

'Decency' is rarely a characteristic that applies to the ability to gain and hold onto power in a field; even when it is, it's rarely the only one, and the alternatives are often incompatible with it. People who devote more time, effort, and resources into effectively gaining power tend to be at an advantage compared to people who are forced to choose between power and decency.

So the people who rise to greatest influence tend to be the ones that are willing and able to sacrifice every other consideration to the pursuit of power.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Frustration wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:54 pm 'Decency' is rarely a characteristic that applies to the ability to gain and hold onto power in a field; even when it is, it's rarely the only one, and the alternatives are often incompatible with it. People who devote more time, effort, and resources into effectively gaining power tend to be at an advantage compared to people who are forced to choose between power and decency.

So the people who rise to greatest influence tend to be the ones that are willing and able to sacrifice every other consideration to the pursuit of power.
As they say, scum floats to the top.