Star Trek (DS9): The Sound of Her Voice

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Star Trek (DS9): The Sound of Her Voice

Post by CharlesPhipps »

As a writer, I actually tend to think about how these things might work rather than trying to just disbelieve. I actually scribbled down an idea for STAR TREK ONLINE with the idea Starfleet actually had a star system or two with a massive bunch of old Constititon, Miranda, and other class vessels sitting in state just in case they ever needed them--which they did and they quickly refurbished them.

Mind you, we actually have some in-universe evidence to the idea the Federation just repurposes hulls over and over again.

TMP's B-plot was all about Kirk being flabberghasted about how the Enterprise no longer resembled its previous self and it gets a number of people killed.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

We've even seen in-series where they completely refitted the original Enterprise into the Enterprise-A in the course of time between the series and the first movie... which while 10 years in realtime was only 3 years in-universe... (less if you counted animated.)

But even that newly retrofitted ship was deemed too old and needed to be put in mothballs by the third movie, just ten years later. But they had another ship ready and renamed Enterprise by movie 4, less than a year later, (Realworld time on those is iffy since movies 2-4 all happened super close together despite taking 5 years in real time)

Then of course the Next Gen's enterprise gets wrecked in the first movie, and then they have a new one (with entirely the main senior crew?) almost immediately.

Obviously just renaming a new ship in a similar model when an old one gets blown up makes sense with the flagship... but its kind of weird where the original Enterprise is concerned.

But then, this is also the organization that redesigns their military uniforms on a nearly annual basis.
Last edited by RobbyB1982 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

David Mack's new Discovery novel "Desperate Hours" gives a number of reconciliations for that.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/09/interv ... ate-hours/

Short version being the Enterprise uniform was always a specific uniform for the Constitution class ala the Special Forces.
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

RobbyB1982 wrote:But they had another ship ready and renamed Enterprise by movie 4, less than a year later,
That's presumably why Roddenberry recommended it was actually a renamed existing USS Yorktown rather than a brand new ship (and would explain why nothing on it worked in the fifty film; its systems had been wreaked by the whale probe and it was still being repaired at the time).
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

CharlesPhipps wrote:David Mack's new Discovery novel "Desperate Hours" gives a number of reconciliations for that.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/09/interv ... ate-hours/

Short version being the Enterprise uniform was always a specific uniform for the Constitution class ala the Special Forces.
I find that kind of silly, personally. Plus, it's contradicted as we see other Starfleet personnel from starbases and the like wearing them. It was obviously meant to be the standard duty uniform, with the main difference between them being the insignia they had. Of course, Discovery not only ignores the uniform and insignia, but also the rank insignia, which they have based on the TNG system rather than the TOS system.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

CharlesPhipps wrote: TMP's B-plot was all about Kirk being flabberghasted about how the Enterprise no longer resembled its previous self and it gets a number of people killed.
What people were these?
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I figured that the insignia on the uniforms may have been something fleet-wide, with the more than one fleet in Starfleet. The U.S. navy has a Third Fleet, Fourth Fleet, etc. In TOS each of the Constitution-class ships could have been from their own fleet, but with only 13 of them they'd still go where needed. That might explain why many ships share the Enterprise arrow emblem but not all of them do.

Or maybe the uniforms all caught the ancillary augment virus. What's that? Well, you wouldn't create superior humans without superior uniforms, right? What's the point of being smarter, stronger, and more resilient if you're not also more fabulous?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Honestly, they probably changed the uniforms in Discovery to avoid having to explain why all the women aren't wearing miniskirts.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

TGLS wrote:Honestly, they probably changed the uniforms in Discovery to avoid having to explain why all the women aren't wearing miniskirts.
I may be mistaken, but in the original pilot when Pike is in command of the Enterprise, all the female crew we see wear the same uniform as the men, with none wearing miniskirts, so there's an easy out for not having them wear miniskirts in STD as it's roughly contemporary with that episode.

And even if they used TOS uniforms there's no reason all the female characters have to wear them just because all the female TOS officers wore them; there could easily be a mix and if an explanation was needed it could easily be handled with some dialogue between one character in skirt and another in trousers, with skirt brushing it off with she prefers skirts, or finds them more comfortable or whatever and leave it at that. And to hammer the point home, throw in a token guy in one like they had in a couple early TNG episodes.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Dînadan wrote:
TGLS wrote:Honestly, they probably changed the uniforms in Discovery to avoid having to explain why all the women aren't wearing miniskirts.
I may be mistaken, but in the original pilot when Pike is in command of the Enterprise, all the female crew we see wear the same uniform as the men, with none wearing miniskirts, so there's an easy out for not having them wear miniskirts in STD as it's roughly contemporary with that episode.

And even if they used TOS uniforms there's no reason all the female characters have to wear them just because all the female TOS officers wore them; there could easily be a mix and if an explanation was needed it could easily be handled with some dialogue between one character in skirt and another in trousers, with skirt brushing it off with she prefers skirts, or finds them more comfortable or whatever and leave it at that. And to hammer the point home, throw in a token guy in one like they had in a couple early TNG episodes.
So the girls start wearing uniform miniskirt as soon as Kirk is in command? Why am I not surprised...
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox