Star Trek (Dis): Context Is for Kings

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Star Trek (Dis): Context Is for Kings

Post by CharlesPhipps »

SFDebris wrote:Well, like I said, I wouldn't feel the need to say it if history hadn't taught me it needed saying. If even a fellow ChannelAwesome contributor will say in public that sexism is why guys don't like Voyager and then single me out specifically, then the memo clearly isn't getting out there. :)
If it's any consolation, Chuck, I should point out I am a HUGE Social Justice Warrior and yet I know you don't hate Janeway because she's a woman. You hate her because she's a megalomaniac.

:)

Mind you, I am the kind of guy who does think there's plenty of times a stew is bad because of one bad onion in the bunch even in the face of legitimate criticisms. Among the people who hate Rey of Jakku there's plenty of people who do think a lot of stuff comes way too easy to her and she's not allowed to show off any flaws. There's also that one guy who breathed a sigh of relief in the Last Jedi because she had her relationship with the black man sunk and is happy to say that's why he hated Finn/Rey.

Re: Michael Burnham

I think she's a character who I am about 80% onboard with. The problem is I do think she's too much and doesn't really work as a lead without someone to play off of. The Seven of Nine comparisons aren't really very apt because Michael doesn't WANT to be human and there's no real need for her to be since being Vulcan is fine. My big issue with her I think is that if you made her NOT Spock's kid sister and Sarek into Random Vulcan 15# then that would STILL be an interesting backstory.

Since when is being raised by Vulcans not cool enough by itself?

There's also the fact her failed mutiny clashes with her somewhat smug sense of self-righteousness (which all of Starfleet has had at various points but this is full on Season 1 TNG) and her backstory doesn't really fit her attitude. Where does she get off lecturing people about Starfleet rules and regulations?

In a weird way she's Spock/7 of 9/Tom Paris and that's too many characters.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

thisithis wrote: But this show is bad, and it keeps reminding me of Stargate Universe.
You're not the first one I've heard comparing STD to SG:U. SG-1 is my favorite television series, and I enjoyed Stargate Atlantis a lot too, if not quite as much. I gave SG:U three episodes before I gave up on it. It seemed to be going dark and edgy in order to be dark and edgy, and thanks, but I had enough experience with high school when I went through high school.

On the other hand, and I think it's worth pointing out, I heard that SG:U got better after I stopped watching it. I hear Enterprise got better when I stopped watching that, too.

So, all in all, I think not watching STD counts as my version of helping it out. Oh, and STD might improve.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Winter wrote:
MithrandirOlorin wrote:I have my issues with TLJ, but it's a better film then Wonder Woman by far.
IMO I think Wonder Woman is one of the best Superhero films ever made. I like Diana, love the action and I love Love LOVE Steve and Diana's relationship. The climax is a bit weak but I've seen worse. But that's just me. :)
Wonder Woman is a lot like Burton's Batman, it's acceptable enough that people are gonna act like it was ideal until a better reboot comes.
Call me KuudereKun
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Darth Wedgius wrote:
thisithis wrote: But this show is bad, and it keeps reminding me of Stargate Universe.
You're not the first one I've heard comparing STD to SG:U. SG-1 is my favorite television series, and I enjoyed Stargate Atlantis a lot too, if not quite as much. I gave SG:U three episodes before I gave up on it. It seemed to be going dark and edgy in order to be dark and edgy, and thanks, but I had enough experience with high school when I went through high school.

On the other hand, and I think it's worth pointing out, I heard that SG:U got better after I stopped watching it. I hear Enterprise got better when I stopped watching that, too.

So, all in all, I think not watching STD counts as my version of helping it out. Oh, and STD might improve.
:lol:

As said earlier, SGU did get better but the bad elements were still there, just turned down to more reasonable levels. I guess I can understand trying something new after 15 seasons but... eh. Just didn't have the Stargate spark. And Atlantis got cancelled because of it.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

MithrandirOlorin wrote:
Winter wrote:
MithrandirOlorin wrote:I have my issues with TLJ, but it's a better film then Wonder Woman by far.
IMO I think Wonder Woman is one of the best Superhero films ever made. I like Diana, love the action and I love Love LOVE Steve and Diana's relationship. The climax is a bit weak but I've seen worse. But that's just me. :)
Wonder Woman is a lot like Burton's Batman, it's acceptable enough that people are gonna act like it was ideal until a better reboot comes.
Well a lot of fans still prefer Burtan's Batman to Nolan's and Keaton's Batman is still considered by a lot of fans to be better than Bale's Batman and, In my most humble opinion, I do feel that Gal Gadot Is Wonder Woman. I never really cared for The DCAU take on Wonder Woman as she was way to aggressive and rarely, if ever, grew as a character. There are at least two or three episodes about her learning to control her temper and of all the members of the League she is the one who is quickest to use violence as a means to solve a problem.

Same thing with the Wonder Woman of the 2009 animated film, she is more prone to punch her way through a problem which is not helped by Steve who spends 99.99% of the film trying to get into her pants. But Diana in the 2017 film, while she is on a mission to kill Ares in every other situation she only attacks others in self defense or the defense of others and is generally a very polite person.

Wonder Woman is one of the few characters I read about in the comics before I saw her in the DCAU or the films and it was her calming Batman down after he had turned into a demon bat... thing, and she was able to get through to him by remaining calm and convincing him to return to the good side through her friendship with him and for me Gadot nailed that part of the character perfectly while other interpretations seemed more interested in skipping over that of the character.

However, regardless of ones feelings on the 2017 film of Wonder Woman I think there is one thing we can all agree on. The 2011 Unaired TV Pilot sucks.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

MithrandirOlorin wrote:
Linkara wrote:Honestly, I think it was a mistake to focus on that for the intro. As a self-proclaimed "SJW," I didn't see a lot of people taking issue with Discovery's focus on a black woman as the lead aside from the racists and the sexists (the kind who think Star Trek is just pzew pzew Kirk beds alien women and not anything of substance) and they were easy enough to drown out considering Star Trek is a show ALL ABOUT equality, social justice, and bringing people of different backgrounds together.

No, the complaints people have had across the board are the perfectly legitimate ones - the continuity issues both in tech and look, the unnecessary amounts of "edginess" (swearing, nudity, pop culture references that Star Trek has tended to shy away from because we're several hundred years removed from it), or indeed - how everyone kinda starts as a jackass.

Now I'm still waaaay behind on Discovery (still haven't watched past the time loop episode, which I loved) but I've been enjoying the character development we've had so far and have been willing to MOSTLY overlook the continuity stuff, but I'd be lying if I said some of that didn't bug me.
Wait, are the same Linkara who does those youtube videos about Power Rangers?
No, I think this is that other Linkara, the one who reviews lamps.
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

J!! wrote:
MithrandirOlorin wrote:Wait, are the same Linkara who does those youtube videos about Power Rangers?
I love Dr. In-Shade-o on that show.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Don't be ridiculous!

Why would Linkara the man with the nice hat be on a forum for a Star Trek vblogger. I mean, he'd have to be an enormous nerd.

(Mind you, I once sent him a bunch of Avengelyne comics--which were apparently too bad even for him to review)

:)
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

SFDebris wrote:
J!! wrote:
MithrandirOlorin wrote:Wait, are the same Linkara who does those youtube videos about Power Rangers?

The review of the IKEA Klabb is a classic.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Ghilz wrote:
SFDebris wrote:
J!! wrote:

The review of the IKEA Klabb is a classic.

But did you know... Saru is a cow?
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."