Star Trek (Dis): The Butcher's Knife Cares Not for the Lamb's Cry

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Linkara
Officer

Re: Star Trek (Dis): The Butcher's Knife Cares Not for the Lamb's Cry

Post by Linkara »

Durandal_1707 wrote:Does anyone not agree? The first half of "By Any Other Name" made a bigger impression on my young self than anything else the original series ever did. The fact that they just turned around and went for comedy hijinks in the second half is one of the biggest missed opportunities in the franchise, to my mind, and revisiting that concept to do it right would be fantastic.

Also: Chuck really needs to review that episode. Someone who's not broke should request it! Hint hint!
See, and I'm actually of the opposite opinion - hijinx managing to defeat something that vast and powerful and unknowable feels better to me. It's similar to the androids in I, Mudd - you have to be unconventional in your tactics. They EXPECT you to be serious, make grand heroic last stands, sacrifice the whole ship to save their galaxy, etc. Defeating an alien by getting it drunk, pumping them full of testosterone, making one of them jealous? I LOVE that - it completely plays against expectations and yet feels satisfying to me to see these otherwise nigh-invincible opponents brought down a peg.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, apparently the Kelvans did return:
WORF: No. I am a Klingon warrior and a Starfleet officer. I have piloted starships through Dominion minefields. I have stood in battle against Kelvans twice my size. I courted and won the heart of the magnificent Jadzia Dax. If I can do these things, I can make this child go to sleep.
Now it's possible that Worf is exaggerating, lying, or doesn't know what he's talking about, but it's also possible that Kelvans did return in a scarier form in the 24th century.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

FaxModem1 wrote:Well, apparently the Kelvans did return:
WORF: No. I am a Klingon warrior and a Starfleet officer. I have piloted starships through Dominion minefields. I have stood in battle against Kelvans twice my size. I courted and won the heart of the magnificent Jadzia Dax. If I can do these things, I can make this child go to sleep.
Now it's possible that Worf is exaggerating, lying, or doesn't know what he's talking about, but it's also possible that Kelvans did return in a scarier form in the 24th century.
Is there a book?
Linkara
Officer

Post by Linkara »

It also might be a case of two species having the same name - ask any Starfleet officer about Terellians and Terallians or Telarians.