Anime: Mobile Suit Gundam

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Chaos Sepher
Officer

Re: Anime: Mobile Suit Gundam

Post by Chaos Sepher »

Always particularly enjoyed the Zeon marine model mobile suits, especially the Z'Gok.

One minor point I think is a shame that it seems Chuck won't get to see much in the big hulking Mobile Armor types till later on.
LavarosVA wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:57 am Did anyone else feel a sense of irony when Chuck called the Acguys teddie bears considering they're the base for Bearguys?
I sure did, see my last post linking the Build Fighters Bearrguy.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

i though it was funny as well someone should build a bearrguy and send it to him
Chaos Sepher
Officer

Post by Chaos Sepher »

Oh man if Chuck ever eventually reviews 08th MS Team (which I hope to god cause it is one of the best Gundam series of the franchise) the Acguy Bear thing could be a running gag.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

SFDebris wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:13 pm
Chuck, I hate to break it to you, but "hai" in Japanese.... isn't exactly "Sir" (Beyond its military use as a shorthand confirmation).

It's yes and can range from "understood" to a casual "yeah".

I'm not an expert though, I've just watched a lot of Japanese MMA and Sumo over the years. The usual background colour commentary is the expert commentator talking about what's going on while his sidekick replies to everything with various intonations of "hai" to keep the conversation going on his end.

It can get amusing when the second guy is trying to act really into what the other guy's saying and draws it out like we'd doing with a "Yeeeeah man, I get what you're saying!".

There's also that little joke in a 90s SImpsons episode where it cuts to a Japanese guy on a phone that says "Hai! Hai! Goodbye!".

Also with that map: It wasn't just Spain shrinking. It looks like Europe had been doing a bit too many steroids and its Balkans are shriveling up.

Great Britain and Corsica and Sardinia are slowly creeping away from the Continent trying not to be noticed, too.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Maybe the Earth's Sea Levels got messed up by the Colony Drop.
Chaos Sepher
Officer

Post by Chaos Sepher »

Always amused how the White Base boiled down in the Federation strategy to be a big advanced decoy for Zeon to throw their forces at. And scary thing is it rather worked. Zeon would keep throwing their Ace's and mobile suit units at it and they just get fried on contact like a beam cannon shooting bug zapper.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Chaos Sepher wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:25 pm Always amused how the White Base boiled down in the Federation strategy to be a big advanced decoy for Zeon to throw their forces at. And scary thing is it rather worked. Zeon would keep throwing their Ace's and mobile suit units at it and they just get fried on contact like a beam cannon shooting bug zapper.
In the Command and Conquer Strategy game, "Zeon campaign" there's a hilarious fact that to achieve the ending of the show, you have to be the most incompetant commander ever. You can capture White Base and its crew just by giving Ramba Ral the next advanced suits for dealing with the Gundam. As an elite pilot, he then mops the floor with Amuro and you become well on your way to winning the war.

youtu.be/zmRT6MwJfJ8
TheLibrarian
Redshirt

Post by TheLibrarian »

Beastro wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:30 am
Chuck, I hate to break it to you, but "hai" in Japanese.... isn't exactly "Sir" (Beyond its military use as a shorthand confirmation).

It's yes and can range from "understood" to a casual "yeah".
Yeah, and I've seen underlings in enough anime also use "ho" or "huh" to respond to commands that I assume it's just an informal grunt of acknowledgement. Like how in English you might acknowledge agreement with someone else said by saying "uh" or "mmm" and slightly nodding your head yes.

You also hear a lot of military types in Japanese fiction respond with "ryokai" which sounds almost identical to "yokai" (ghost, monster), but mostly over radio so I think it's the equivalent to "Roger" or "copy that".
SFDebris
The Doctor

Post by SFDebris »

The point is that trying to get the names if you don't speak Japanese is frustrating because the words they tell you in the subtitles are inconsistently pronounced throughout the films. The "sir" example is just meant as an obvious demonstration of that because it's a simple sound: if sometimes the word is said one way, and sometimes another, consistently figuring out the right one is frustrating.

The purpose was to try to express my extreme frustration with this series because of this; I try (or rather, tried, past tense) to always get foreign names pronounced correctly, and with this series, it has been so irritating and inconsistent that by now, I DON'T CARE. Even if you tell me, I won't correct it, because I'm far, far too annoyed at trying to sift through this flotsam and try to make sense of it. It has frustrated me so that I honestly, truly, no longer give a shit. Factor in the other, stupid, thing that has emerged from it, and I wish to Christ I had put it off for even longer.
“I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

― Herbert Bayard Swope
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

I get it, man. Just wanted to share a bit as languages (and geography - I drew maps of Europe better as a toddler than that) are a bit of a fancy of mine.

Same thing with the Zaibach & Loch thing with Escaflowne.

Gotta love those mountains off in the distance too as they head for Kiev.